Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

ANY 10-11 SECOND NITROUS SETUPS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ANY 10-11 SECOND NITROUS SETUPS?

Originally Posted by wolve
95 mph is moving!

what's the weight?
Its full weight, the only thing that was taken out was the spare tire and rear seat so -20 pounds or so. Its a full street car he uses it as his second daily. Were gonna put race gas and 125 shot and see what happens.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i finished up the setup and it was a bittersweet dyno session lol.
-Stock GSR motor (except head studs)
-Custom header (4 into 3in collector to 3in exhaust)
-Walbro 255 pump
-RC 1000cc injectors
-Hondata S300
-Tuned on pump E85
-Dual stage dry shot (controled by the hondata in three stages)
-Made 164hp on the motor.

the setup worked out great, it made good power but i screwed up on the last pass of the day and forgot to adjust the timing on the second stage so it hurt quite a bit. there was all sorts of preignition going on pitted up the pistons pretty good, BUT the good news is that it drove home
i was trying to rush cuz there were some guys waiting to get on the dyno behind me and i just made a dumb oversight. on the final pull which was the 150 shot it made 330 at 6500 rpm but it was spinning on the dyno so we let out and the damage was done. looked over the tables and almost instantly saw my screw up. if i had not made the dumb mistake, i see no reason why it couldn't take even more than the 150 on the stock motor. we started out with a 40 shot then a 80, then a 120, then went back down to a 50 because we had to change the jets in both stages from 40 and 80 to 50 and 100...and since i was running low on time i decided to go straight to the 150 from there and thats where i made my error. im putting another stocker back in and gonna hit the dyno again to finish it up. here are a few pictures of the car and setup and a video of the dyno session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-6AA...e_gdata_player
Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HAVideos
-Walbro 255 pump
-RC 1000cc injectors
-Hondata S300
-Tuned on pump E85

the setup worked out great, it made good power but i screwed up on the last pass of the day and forgot to adjust the timing on the second stage so it hurt quite a bit. there was all sorts of preignition going on pitted up the pistons pretty good, BUT the good news is that it drove home
i was trying to rush cuz there were some guys waiting to get on the dyno behind me and i just made a dumb oversight. on the final pull which was the 150 shot it made 330 at 6500 rpm but it was spinning on the dyno so we let out and the damage was done. looked over the tables and almost instantly saw my screw up. if i had not made the dumb mistake, i see no reason why it couldn't take even more than the 150 on the stock motor. we started out with a 40 shot then a 80, then a 120, then went back down to a 50 because we had to change the jets in both stages from 40 and 80 to 50 and 100...and since i was running low on time i decided to go straight to the 150 from there and thats where i made my error. im putting another stocker back in and gonna hit the dyno again to finish it up.

Good luck with it man, and as always cool little video to go along with the post.

In 1998 I installed a 60hp dry shot on a 1997 Civic EX. I have no clue how I did not kill that engine because I never adjusted the timing or anything with that setup. I came close to killing the engine on a pull against a Mustang, but luckily the plug melted and made it out of the engine before anything else was damaged. That engine lived a long tough life, it had well over 100k tough miles before it finally spun a rod bearing.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man, and holy crap you are lucky lol
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K eg nitrous in car cam 10 sec pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKN0H...e_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyPye3zwJhg&sns=em
Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-Walbro 255 pump
-RC 1000cc injectors
-Hondata S300
-Tuned on pump E85
-Made 164hp on the motor
great simple setup! very nicely done and excecuted!

**** ups can be costly with nitrous, blew cil#2 once like that to...

i always triple check my timing now... once encountered a typo on the third check... 7 degrees advance instead of retard... that would've been a boom too!

good luck with the next stocker!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wolve
great simple setup! very nicely done and excecuted!

**** ups can be costly with nitrous, blew cil#2 once like that to...

i always triple check my timing now... once encountered a typo on the third check... 7 degrees advance instead of retard... that would've been a boom too!

good luck with the next stocker!!!
thanks! i tried to keep it as simple but, based on what I read and researched, as logical as possible. it was really tough to sort through all of the bad advice on forums and websites to find the good advice lol. I'm pretty sure your posts on here were some of the more helpful ones so I'm glad you approve lol.
yeah i was stoked about how the car did but pretty disappointed in how i did lol. im usually very meticulous about that stuff. i dont think ive ever made a dumb mistake like that on any of the turbo cars ive done. it was just a combination of being in a rush and getting over confident that i had everything in order cuz everything was going so smoothly. I'll hopefully be able to post track video of the next motor.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In for more setups, I need motivation.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks! i tried to keep it as simple but, based on what I read and researched, as logical as possible. it was really tough to sort through all of the bad advice on forums and websites to find the good advice lol. I'm pretty sure your posts on here were some of the more helpful ones so I'm glad you approve lol.
yeah i was stoked about how the car did but pretty disappointed in how i did lol. im usually very meticulous about that stuff. i dont think ive ever made a dumb mistake like that on any of the turbo cars ive done. it was just a combination of being in a rush and getting over confident that i had everything in order cuz everything was going so smoothly. I'll hopefully be able to post track video of the next motor.
Yeah, good info is definitely hard to find. Most people have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to nitrous.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I certainly know things get crazy when people are rushed. At least you recognized your mistake though.

As far as advice on nitrous setups. I am not sure how much this will help you, but there are some forums out there where there are some really fast nitrous V8 guys who may be able to give you some tuning advice for a nitrous engine. I certainly do not have any useful info for tuning a nitrous engine, but maybe the yellowbullet.com may have some. Guys running in the 4's through the 1/8th on 275 drag radials is certainly impressive to me and many are doing it with nitrous small blocks now. Not sure how helpful any of them would be on that forum or if you could find anything worth while on there, but it was a thought.....

Originally Posted by bauergold
Yeah, good info is definitely hard to find. Most people have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to nitrous.
This is true.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, you are right, that site is very useful. there are some really smart guys in there. people on there don't respond well to direct questions but there is still tons of info to be had by just browsing and inferring a lot from conversations on there. I ended up getting most of my info from domestic guys or locals that work with nitrous domestics. even among domestic guys the info varies. I tried my best to get ahold of guys like Richewerks who were having success with nitrous specifically on Honda motors, but it seems all the people having success with it are extremely hard to get a hold of lol. it's understandable though cuz I'm sure they get tons of questions on a weekly basis. I didn't want to pester them, I know how that feels so I founds info elsewhere those guys definitely have that **** figured out though.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 13173
I certainly know things get crazy when people are rushed. At least you recognized your I certainly do not have any useful info for tuning a nitrous engine, but maybe the yellowbullet.com may have some.
Check out any post by monte smith on there. I would consider him to be the nitrous god. He isn't someone who just restates what other people have said. He has decades of experience and definitely knows what he is talking about.

Biggest thing he says is to keep the plug as clean as possible. He tunes nitrous cars to around the same a/f that they run on motor. Running lean is not likely to hurt a motor, no matter what everyone tells you. However running too much timing or being too rich will definitely create too much heat and melt some aluminum. lol
Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out any post by monte smith on there. I would consider him to be the nitrous god. He isn't someone who just restates what other people have said. He has decades of experience and definitely knows what he is talking about.

Biggest thing he says is to keep the plug as clean as possible. He tunes nitrous cars to around the same a/f that they run on motor. Running lean is not likely to hurt a motor, no matter what everyone tells you. However running too much timing or being too rich will definitely create too much heat and melt some aluminum. lol
I have some friend with nitrous small block mustangs. All of the cars are nasty street cars and are known in my area. They are very picky about reading the plugs and what not after each pass, especially nitrous passes. I also know someone who races/builds bikes and have held many track and national records. All of them run carbureted setups and I know all of them purge the nitrous through the engine before they make a pass to make sure the plugs are clean.

Over here in the south there is a ton of grudge racing all the time. Tons of the cars and bikes are still nitrous setups and many of them are the fastest street cars and bikes on the planet. At one point I thought that nitrous setups would die down a little since the technology with the blowers and turbos has progressed a lot. That is not the case, or so it seems on my end over here. One person I would really like to talk to if I ever built a nitrous small block would be Billy Glidden. I am still amazed at his outlaw 10.5" car that went 4.0's on a Ford small block that was under 330ci, cast intake manifold, single carb, and 2 stages.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all of them purge the nitrous through the engine before theymake a pass to make sure the plugs are clean.
You can tell them that doesn't work as well as just purging the nitrous into the atomosphere.
Over here in the south there is a ton of grudge racing all the time. Tons of the cars and bikes are still nitrous setups and many of them are the fastest street cars and bikes on the planet. At one point I thought that nitrous setups would die down a little since the technology with the blowers and turbos has progressed a lot. That is not the case, or so it seems on my end over here. One person I would really like to talk to if I ever built a nitrous small block would be Billy Glidden. I am still amazed at his outlaw 10.5" car that went 4.0's on a Ford small block that was under 330ci, cast intake manifold, single carb, and 2 stages.
Turbos are definitely going to take over, they pretty much have in small tire racing.
Nitrous is fun though and great for grudge racing.

Billy Glidden definitely knows whats up that's for sure.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can tell them that doesn't work as well as just purging the nitrous into the atomosphere.
They purge into the atmosphere and through the engine. Anything from 500whp cars all the way up to 800ci+ Sonny Leonard engines in a car that is running high 3's in the 1/8th....

I heard that at one of the tracks down here that the Pro Mod cars were banned from purging through the engine at one point, but I'm not totally sure on that rule.

Here is a car from my neck of the woods. Small block Mustang on a 275, has went a best of 4.70's in the 1/8th and went 4.90's on this particular pass. You can watch him purge both through the engine and into the atmosphere. I always heard that purging into the engine was the best way to clean the plugs just before a pass.

http://youtu.be/caYnaXk1XcI
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool stuff! Never seen purging through the motor make any difference.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i made 218 all motor and 306 with a 75 dry shot havnt done a time with it yet but we'll see and its stock bottom end with euro r cams
Old 01-27-2017, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im putting this back up. currently building a b20 and looking for anyone intrested in sharing thier current nitrous builds
Old 01-29-2017, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if somebody put in the wrench time on a nitrous kseries im sure it could set records. It's an amazing machine.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1BjzIb5tmU
Friend of mines 10 second nitrous hatch, simple ish 84x89 on a small shot of dope, excuse the meemaw shifting, he is aware of his mediocre driving skill set.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went 1070 at 131 6 years ago. Getting ready to bring the car back out. I popped a head gasket around the 1/8 mile and was spitting all the way threw the traps. That was with a 175 direct port dry shot with fuel added threw the injectors. Motor is a b series 2.1L 11 and half to one compression. It had stage one web cams with a stock type r intake and full exhaust threw the muffler. The car weighed 2460 with me in it. B16 trans didn't have traction bar but had a 1.5 60. Motor
made over 400. But I learned a lot 175 is to much out the hole. 125 shot is perfect. The radiator was clogged up witch I just found out last summer because I put a new one in and gave it to my nephew to put in his daily and it blew and head gasket. Changes since then I put a traction bar on it. I did two shots dry. 125 125. The car does not weigh no where near what it did. I shooting for 1800. And this time my tuner is going to come with me to the track. I also had the valves over sized and put web stage three cams in it. I have been building this car for years. Iam hoping to get to the track in the nexted two months and I plan on going into the 9s. When I said that when I first started out people said I was crazy but times have changed Old pictures
Old 03-12-2017, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-Walbro 255 pump
-RC 1000cc injectors
-Hondata S300
-Tuned on pump E85

i was trying to rush cuz there were some guys waiting to get on the dyno behind me and i just made a dumb oversight. on the final pull which was the 150 shot it made 330 at 6500 rpm but it was spinning on the dyno so we let out and the damage was done. looked over the tables and almost instantly saw my screw up. if i had not made the dumb mistake, i see no reason why it couldn't take even more than the 150 on the stock motor. we started out with a 40 shot then a 80, then a 120, then went back down to a 50 because we had to change the jets in both stages from 40 and 80 to 50 and 100...and since i was running low on time i decided to go straight to the 150 from there and thats where i made my error. im putting another stocker back in and gonna hit the dyno again to finish it up. here are a few pictures of the car and setup and a video of the dyno session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-6AA...e_gdata_player
Did it go lean there? Do you have enough fuel (pump) for 150hit under load??

PS: I shoot (video) as well - mostly with drones.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jordaninu
I went 1070 at 131 6 years ago. Getting ready to bring the car back out. I popped a head gasket around the 1/8 mile and was spitting all the way threw the traps. That was with a 175 direct port dry shot with fuel added threw the injectors. Motor is a b series 2.1L 11 and half to one compression. It had stage one web cams with a stock type r intake and full exhaust threw the muffler. The car weighed 2460 with me in it. B16 trans didn't have traction bar but had a 1.5 60. Motor
made over 400. But I learned a lot 175 is to much out the hole. 125 shot is perfect. The radiator was clogged up witch I just found out last summer because I put a new one in and gave it to my nephew to put in his daily and it blew and head gasket. Changes since then I put a traction bar on it. I did two shots dry. 125 125. The car does not weigh no where near what it did. I shooting for 1800.
I remember your old setup and the video of your girlfriend getting super excited when you went 10s. That was really cool!

New setup sounds awesome. Should run easy 9s with some seat time.
When are you planning on making it to the track?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see this guy at the local track 10 sec h22 100 shot it still had full interior and glass too

Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^Awesome!

My new setup should be pretty fun.
H23A - 220whp on motor - 340whp on nitrous. Motor is in a gutted and cut eg sedan.
Aiming for 10s on the nitrous.