Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

AEM's new Infinity-10 Standalone

Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AEM's new Infinity-10 Standalone

Can it control a drive by wire throttle body?

edit nvm just found it on the list 2 channel DBW or dc motor control.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In case some people can't read the card let me write it down for people

Main CPU: 200MHz, 32 bit running a programmable-state machine on a real-time operating system. 32 bit floating point unit with a math co-processor.
Aux CPU: 20MHz, 16 bit
MIPS: 400(400,000,000 thoughts per second)
PCB: Printed with ball grid array and quad flat no-lead components
Components: automotive-rated quality
Fuel control: calculates injector pulse width in units of 1/10th of a microsecond
Sync timing: continuously calculates engine acceleration in between teeth edges to predict accurate firing locations. Back Ed tested to 100,000 rpm
Case size: 6"x6"x2" (1.125 height without connector)
Weight: 24 ounces
Cast material: cat aluminum
Case finish: powder coated/laser etched
Environmental: sealed electronics
Connectors: 129 pin automotive-quality fully sealed automotive connectors
Connection: ip67 weatherproof high speed USB technology (up to 480Mb/second)* *
Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Injector: 12 programmable peak and hold
Ignition: 10 0-5v
Analog inputs: 23
Digital inputs: 8
Low side drivers: 10
High side drivers: 3
VR: 6 differential pairs
Wideband: 2 internal
H-bridge: 2 channel drive by wire or other dc motor control
Knock: 2 channel adaptive
Cam control: 4
Sensors: compatible with all factory and performance aftermarket
AEMnet: yes
Can: 2
Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Advanced data logging and analysis software - AEMdata
Memory: 2GB flash drive standard, 32 GB max expandable(flash drive)
Logging speed non-fat file: 100 channels at up to 1KHz
Logging speed fat file: 10 channels at up to 1KHz, 20 channels at up to 500Hz or 100 channels at up to 200Hz
PC logging: up to 500Hz per channel
Old 11-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Flex fuel compensated - fuel, ignition and boost
Programmable traction control based on wheel speed or engine acceleration
Wet and dry nitrous control(up to 4 stages)
Synced data logging playback for editing your calibration and controls
VE or MAF - model and airflow based calculations
Adaptive intelligence for airflow, idle and boost control
Advanced sensor and I/O diagnostics, including current monitoring and feedback
Programmable launch control - two-step/three-step rev limiters and anti-lag
Programmable engine breaking
Programmable PID controllers
Internal engine simulator
Electronic boost control
Full idle control
User configurable soft-cut rev limiters
Integrated engine protection strategies
Includes start up calibrations
Dual fuel pump control
Dual fan control
Encrypted maps prevent unauthorized usage or sharing
No background full floating layout
Runs on windows-compatible software
Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i walked by their booth a couple times this weekend and it seemed pretty busy. ill have to see what info i can get on this. i had hardware failure on my series 1 and went motec and never looked back. But Darin still tunes a ton of aems and its always good to see whats out there. im all for the success of everything but the Pro Efi
Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Looks interesting. Not aiming this at anyone in particular but I think some people like to blame their problems on an ECU when it's their use/abuse of it and/or the computer connected to it.
Hit it on the head.

I will admit, when first tuning AEM software, it was a bit much. I just poured over the guides and user manuals until it made sense. With more tuners being out there, there is more potential of people just not knowing what they are doing. I see countless tunes with stock battery offset tables, it is sick. Once you can understand it, it is cake.

I would love to try this new standalone, mainly because I love technology :p
Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly, Im using AEM and learned the software and tuning myself just from messing with it and reading through the manual. Pretty easy to use after that. Once you understand what everything does and how it affects the car it becomes much easier and quicker to tune. I love it and came from a realtime ecu before this so its nice. Now running COP as well as using a lot of the other safety features the AEM offers. Most people also dont realize but all the safety features that the AEM can do usually always come disabled on the basemaps and if you dont know what your doing or havent used it long enough to figure it out you can easily miss it and if something happens the AEM if it was set up right could have prevented damage from happening. Again it might not be as good as a Motec but its still a fraction of the cost and if this new one which by the looks of it, can do everything the Motec to do and hopefully the software is very user friendly. And again a fraction of the cost of the higher end standalones.

So screw the AEM haters. I havent had issues with mine. Now if the other parts on the car would just cooperate and not fail Id be a much happier racer. lol.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We have good luck with AEM stuff... less the twin fire. I have seen a few burn up from bad wiring. I don stay away from the new stuff for a bit just to make sure the bugs are out.

a buddy of mine runs high 6's in the 1/4 mile with a old honda box (540cu.in BBC with twin promod 94mm BB turbos)

too bad he had to let off this pass...
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMotion99#p/u
Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 AM

I added some screen shots to the first post so you can see the interface on some of the functions. And yes a lot of the questions asked here were answered in that specs card in the first post but there was limited space on there and it can get a little vague, so the questions are welcomed.

Some people seem to lose sight of the fact that no matter how well a product is made, how much it costs, how high-end it is....you can break it. Not everyone who calls themself a tuner is qualified. Ive seen people break engines due to tuning errors, without even knowing it, and blame the computer because they aren't even aware they made a mistake.

The new boost control is incredible, its lightyears ahead of the other options.
Dual DBW Control is huge, Dual internal uego wideband controllers is huge, you just buy the sensors.
Active Cam Control is a big deal, especially when it also has DBW control along side it.
User definable maps let you get creative with failsafes or making your own intelligent controllers, progressive, conditional etc.
The usb port on the outside that lets you plug in a thumb drive and log directly to it is nice. You can throw a big thumb drive in there, pull it out and put it right into your laptop or desktop...

One of the most impressive things ive seen that will be really helpful for tuners is the simulation mode. For example, you can setup a boost control function, or a dbw throttle control function, or a PID controller to control any device youve got, and then test it in the simulator to see how it will react before even making a dyno pass or a track pass. Many of you know tuning a pid controller can be tedious when you are doing trial and error on a dyno or at the track, and reviewing logs after the fact. Now you can run the simulator and see if the target will over-shoot, go unstable, oscillate, fall short, etc. Before ever making a pass. You can move the simulator to different throttle positions, rpm ranges, boost levels, etc to see if you have your triggers setup correctly for your controllers. If you want your methanol injection to come on at a certain boost and tps and rpm, you can test all of this in the simulator before even starting the car.

Theres so many more features that i could fill up pages of posts, This much text is generally too much for most people to absorb. Instead, im getting one of the first infinity-10 boxes in my hands next week and will put together a comprehensive video showing specific functions, and specific examples of why this box is better than the rest.

After watching the video, the skeptics will be appeased, and the people who are genuinely interested in a high level tuning solution for an affordable price will be excited about moving their program forward.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will it do time based boost and ramp in?

most of the big dog guys use a AMS 1000 boost controller... it would be cool to have it do this all in one unit.

it would be cool to have that new dyno shaft controll the boost.. if the shaft load drops pull boost to let the tires catch up.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by brad d
We have good luck with AEM stuff... less the twin fire. I have seen a few burn up from bad wiring. I don stay away from the new stuff for a bit just to make sure the bugs are out.

a buddy of mine runs high 6's in the 1/4 mile with a old honda box (540cu.in BBC with twin promod 94mm BB turbos)

too bad he had to let off this pass...
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMotion99#p/u
Yeah, I bought a used twinfire that was already over a year old and it went out after 3 days of use. All wiring was perfect. I called AEM and they said it was a slightly older model known to have issues and the new board they have for them has been flawless soo far. Best part is, i got the original purchaser to get ahold of the company he bought it for and verify it was one of the boxes he sold and all I had to do was send it in and they replaced the entire board with the newest updated board. Had it in for a while now with no issues. Hell of a spark. COP setup for a fraction of the cost of the M&W box. So cant complain. Hell when my fuel pressure dumped on me during a run I melted a ground strap on one plug and it didnt even misfire until it hit over 30psi of boost. haha Pretty freakin strong spark if you ask me.

This new standalone sounds really nice. Might look into it in the future to replace my series 1. But for now Ill stick with it.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice!

I think I will still tune with my atari though
Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive been waiting couple months for this!!!!! I get my hands on a box here REALLY soon I love my Series 2, but this seems way cool.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm really interested in this as well as i'm looking to change up this winter. will these be offered in plug/play like the v2
Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does look really nice but man i dont think im seriouse enough to soend that kinda cheese on it lol
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bads2k
i'm really interested in this as well as i'm looking to change up this winter. will these be offered in plug/play like the v2
from what I am told, no. You can always have Rywire make you a jumper harness!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im assuming it has transmission control?

Looks promising!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4piston
Probably for the same reason Motec does. Different products with the more expensive ones having more capability. On what basis do you say they work fair and not great? My experience is that they work great and that they come out with new stuff because they are active in developing their product and making it better.
Like I said, I really liked my AEM when I ran it. The option to run staged injectors was perfect for my setup at the time. The biggest issue I had in tuning cars over the years was the early hardware failures of the V1 boxes as well as some twin fire hardware failures.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RealStreet
The new boost control is incredible, its lightyears ahead of the other options.
Dual DBW Control is huge, Dual internal uego wideband controllers is huge, you just buy the sensors.
Active Cam Control is a big deal, especially when it also has DBW control along side it.

One of the most impressive things ive seen that will be really helpful for tuners is the simulation mode. For example, you can setup a boost control function, or a dbw throttle control function, or a PID controller to control any device youve got, and then test it in the simulator to see how it will react before even making a dyno pass or a track pass. Many of you know tuning a pid controller can be tedious when you are doing trial and error on a dyno or at the track, and reviewing logs after the fact. Now you can run the simulator and see if the target will over-shoot, go unstable, oscillate, fall short, etc.
Theres so many more features that i could fill up pages of posts, This much text is generally too much for most people to absorb.
Let see dual drive by wire, Check
Active cam control up to 4 cams, Check
Dual onboard wideband controllers, Check
Simulation mode, Check

Yup ProEFI does all that too..

One question though, you claim that you can test PID control in simulation mode?!?! REALLY?!?! So your saying that the ECU can simulate how your turbo will react to changes to in boost control and simulate how well it can control it????

You may want to double check your facts.. PID control is a completely dynamic response system, you can't simulate how the controlled variable is going to react.. sure you can test your PID loops and make sure they go active when they are supposed to, but your not gonna simulate how a turbo spools and how the waste gate opens and what kind of PID response is needed to control them..

So how exactly is the boost control lightyears ahead of everyone else?? Wheres your supporting evidence? I hear a lot of it can do this or that, but no supporting evidence or details as to why or how..

Sorry if I seem to be a skeptic, but I don't believe it until I see it, and I want to make sure other people don't just jump on the hype wagon without some hard evidence..
Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 AM

Sorry I'm late to the party. I was racing out at the MIR World Cup Finals kicking *** in the Mustang using my "vintage" AEM Series 1, I lost to the Avid car when my trans spit 3rd gear out of it.

I didn't say anything about running simulations then everything will be absolutely perfect to go down the track under all conditions. I've had to deal with f*d up PID functions with other management systems in the past. If you're not familiar with PID tuning this could be a huge help getting settings in the right direction. Having the complex simulator functions to test a DBW throttle prior to running the car would have been a huge advantage and would have saved me a ton of time and grief. Infinity would also allow you to do things like live test injector response and flow on the bench under various simulated manifold pressure, throttle, and RPM conditions or something like a multi-stage nitrous setup, multi-stage boost controller, etc.

Beyond what I was intending in my post, the true simulator engine in the Infinity is possible because of it's amazing processor and the model based programming. The modeling allows developers that have access to the full editing features to mathematically model an external device like a DBW motor or turbo and then add that model to the ECU simulation to test how the device reacts to the controller. If you can mathematically model something, you can add it to the simulator and drive it with the ECU's outputs and then have the ECU react to the model outputs. This may be new to the aftermarket but in OE engineering they rely on it to keep costs down as time is money to both the end user and the company offering the product.

Chris, if you do this type of work everyday this may not offer as much help to you as it would to someone that hasn't ever heard the term "integral wind up". Also the responses from you seem to be headed in the direction of argumentative - lets try to keep this from becoming another flame thread. I don't know if you're young or anti AEM, but if I may give a bit of advice I'd say stand down until you get your hands on the new product. If you're coming to Orlando for PRI consider this a invite to swing by and spend some time with the system. I'll have it on my personal car.

Thanks
Jay Meagher
Old 11-08-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to bite my tonque for months and now that I can finally talk about it - I don't even know what to say. I think I'd need to dedicate a couple months just to figure out how to utilize everything the new software offers. I usually generate questions during product & software explainations, but as Devin was explaining this to me, all I could generate was "holy ****."

The new in-line dyno looks cool as well, just need to adapt it to FWD applications.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the logging looks very impressive, you cant have a good ems with internal logging and this thing has plenty of it
Old 11-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah I see you mentioned data logging. Just to put it out there we also updated our logging software. The old version was AEMlog and the latest and greatest is AEMdata. It can be downloaded from the forums for all to play with. However some functions will be locked out like math channels. This new logging and analysis software uses our new .daq files which unlocks all to play with. The old .stf files will still open and can be played with however like I said above some functions will be locked. If you do a full install we have a sample log with all the new features running.

And yes the old versions of the product will eventually be converted over to export .daq files. Also if you want to look at a FIC log which is a CSV open it in AEMlog first than save as an STF file and go from there.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbo-2nr
the logging looks very impressive, you cant have a good ems with internal logging and this thing has plenty of it
Yes internal logging is nice BUT, just because there is no internal logging doesn't mean an ECU is junk. There are quite a few high end ECUs (better than Motec even) that don't come with internal logging memory as a standard option. Most high end race cars have some sort of external data acquisition system. At some point you will just plain run out of inputs on your ECU. Plus I haven't seen any ECUs yet that come with accelerometers, gps, or have track mapping capability built in, which almost all external data aquision systems offer..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AEM's new Infinity-10 Standalone