Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/)
-   -   acid dipping, how much weight can be saved? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/acid-dipping-how-much-weight-can-saved-3207010/)

low13da9 05-11-2014 02:58 AM

acid dipping, how much weight can be saved?

Hi I plan on building my db7 for all motor. I want it light besides cutting it up. Anyone else weighed their sedans?

guy_from_nerk 05-11-2014 08:36 AM

Re: acid dipping, how much weight can be saved?

I have a DB8 that I drag race, if you're wanting lightweight you have the wrong chassis. I have just come to terms that my car will always be heavier than the guy next to me. You can drop some weight by doing the normal weight reductions, but you'll never be as light as an EG or EK hatch.

I have not weighed mine, but I do plan on it here soon. Things I have removed or replaced to help save weight:

Carbon fiber hood
Up-pipe rather than a full exhaust
All hvac removed from under the dash
Sound deadening removed
Rear bumper support removed
J2 front lower control arms which are 6lbs lighter than oem
Smaller battery
Weld wheels in front, v2 skinnies in rear
Cut rear bumper

I still have full interior and a 10 point cage in the car.

ekcoupeh22 05-13-2014 02:55 PM

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...5052CD9A9F.jpg

ekcoupeh22 05-13-2014 02:56 PM

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...504DA132C2.jpg

ekcoupeh22 05-13-2014 02:58 PM

you can drop a lot of weight with removing all the undercoating misc brackets seam sealer I think it was like 200lbs

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...5050C6FAAA.jpg

13173 05-13-2014 03:01 PM

There was 200lbs worth of undercoating and seam sealer on a DC chassis, or am I reading that wrong?

ekcoupeh22 05-13-2014 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 13173 (Post 49716729)
There was 200lbs worth of undercoating and seam sealer on a DC chassis, or am I reading that wrong?

and sound deading there was a whole bunch of crap removed and all the useless small brackets though out the whole car. it was like 183 or something like that

guy_from_nerk 05-13-2014 05:18 PM

200 lbs removed, you're still around 2500lbs without driver. As I said, it's the wrong chassis if you're wanting to be super competitive. If you are like me and just don't care and are ok with being at a disadvantage then go for it.

ekcoupeh22 05-13-2014 05:29 PM

Do you plan on racing in a class?

Danger 05-13-2014 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ekcoupeh22 (Post 49716965)
Do you plan on racing in a class?

are you racestatus on IG?

ekcoupeh22 05-14-2014 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Danger (Post 49717183)
are you racestatus on IG?

Yup

Twenty47 05-14-2014 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by guy_from_nerk (Post 49716954)
200 lbs removed, you're still around 2500lbs without driver. As I said, it's the wrong chassis if you're wanting to be super competitive. If you are like me and just don't care and are ok with being at a disadvantage then go for it.

are you aware of how light people have made DC chassis?

guy_from_nerk 05-14-2014 04:23 PM

I'm well aware of how light they have gotten them, are you aware that the DB's weigh 2765 from the factory? You can cut the car to hell and back and still weigh more than an EG chassis plain and simple. Trust me, I would love to shed weight out of my GSR sedan, but I refuse to hack it to hell and back in order to do so. Hell my setup in an EG is a 9 second car all day, in my Sedan I'll be estatic to see 10.5x lol.

I am not here to argue, but simply stating that the DB chassis is not the best option for drag racing unless you're doing it just to be different from everyone else that is all. Now if someone can point me to a DB chassis weighing around 2400lbs I would be more than glad to listen.

To the OP, acid dip your car and find out first hand how much weight can be saved. There aren't many of us DB chassis drag racers out there today.

Twenty47 05-15-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by guy_from_nerk (Post 49718872)
I'm well aware of how light they have gotten them, are you aware that the DB's weigh 2765 from the factory? You can cut the car to hell and back and still weigh more than an EG chassis plain and simple. Trust me, I would love to shed weight out of my GSR sedan, but I refuse to hack it to hell and back in order to do so. Hell my setup in an EG is a 9 second car all day, in my Sedan I'll be estatic to see 10.5x lol.

I am not here to argue, but simply stating that the DB chassis is not the best option for drag racing unless you're doing it just to be different from everyone else that is all. Now if someone can point me to a DB chassis weighing around 2400lbs I would be more than glad to listen.

To the OP, acid dip your car and find out first hand how much weight can be saved. There aren't many of us DB chassis drag racers out there today.

im not sure where you read into my post that i said it can weigh as little as an eg or ek. im just saying that your number about acid dipping and subtracting it from the vehicles stock weight are pointless.

im sure it wouldnt be too hard to get it to the low 2000's. people have dc's weigh much less than that.

tb's integra is 1900 with driver lol.

Tippyman 05-15-2014 11:44 AM

Isnt acid dipping just to remove rust and clean up the metal for paint/resto prep?

.adam. 05-15-2014 01:31 PM

thats what i thought, im sure itll shed some weight but probably not too much

ekcoupeh22 05-15-2014 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by guy_from_nerk (Post 49718872)

you do realize that the 3 door hatch is only about 60lbs lighter than the 4 door? so in essence pull the ac system out of the 4 door and you at the same weight

guy_from_nerk 05-15-2014 07:26 PM

Guess it just depends on how much you want to hack the car up. I am aware of the weight, I am also aware of TB's car. I still know an EG stripped the same way will weigh less.

If the OP wants to build the 4dr then so be it, I know if I could do it all over I wouldn't have built mine. I would of built an EG hatch.

ekcoupeh22 05-16-2014 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by guy_from_nerk (Post 49721374)
Guess it just depends on how much you want to hack the car up. I am aware of the weight, I am also aware of TB's car. I still know an EG stripped the same way will weigh less.

If the OP wants to build the 4dr then so be it, I know if I could do it all over I wouldn't have built mine. I would of built an EG hatch.

Considering almost all classes have a weight restriction I wouldnt want the be the same as everyone else with an eg or ek.. op do you and build a 4 door I think its awesome.