Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

1. FINAL DRIVE AND CLOSED GEARING URGENTLY NEEDED YOUR OPINION

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1. FINAL DRIVE AND CLOSED GEARING URGENTLY NEEDED YOUR OPINION

Hey guys i just wanna ask you out there who ever tried this set up on the strip with slick tire MH 13x8x23 whp235 skinnie on the back 3.5
Close gearing
3.07 -1st gear
2.105 -2nd (oem)
1.695 -3rd
1.385 -4th
1.033 -5th
FD 4.9
car is an jdm ek hatch
Whats best an 4.4 or 4.9 FD for the closed gearing ill running this probably on feb so i wanna know what possible time will i have on 1/4
Old 01-20-2018, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1. FINAL DRIVE AND CLOSED GEARING URGENTLY NEEDED YOUR OPINION

Its a good question, but really hard to answer without more info. And even with an answer, that will only be estimating what the car should do.
4.9 final drive will give you quicker acceleration but lower top end. Most likely at your power level you wont run out of gear before the end of the 1/4 on those slicks. I had shorter gears on a 4.7 final on 22s and I didn't run out of gear with 25hp more. So you'll probably have better times with the shorter final drive.
But a big factor is weight. I weighed 1900lbs in an EG hatch and at 260whp I did an 11.9 on 22s. So an ek being a little heavier and not knowing what you've done makes the question harder. Gearing is important for drag. Id check out some gear calculators and mess with those. Id recommend mfactory gear calculator, but it looks like they took it down temporarily while they work on their website. But I know there are others out there.
I'm sure Im not the best help since I don't have direct experience with the setup you have, which is what you were asking for. But I hope this helps some.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

The most important value here with respect to gearing and tire size is this: trap speed. You need a few baseline passes in the 1/4 mile in order to figure out what gear and rpm you cross the traps in. Ideally, you want to reach the end of the 1/4 mile in fourth gear at or just under redline. Once you have a good idea how fast you will be traveling at the end of the quarter, you can add a few mph to that number and punch that into a trans gear ratio calculator... and then adjust the final drive numbers to see which works best for YOUR application.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaracing84
Its a good question, but really hard to answer without more info. And even with an answer, that will only be estimating what the car should do.
4.9 final drive will give you quicker acceleration but lower top end. Most likely at your power level you wont run out of gear before the end of the 1/4 on those slicks. I had shorter gears on a 4.7 final on 22s and I didn't run out of gear with 25hp more. So you'll probably have better times with the shorter final drive.
But a big factor is weight. I weighed 1900lbs in an EG hatch and at 260whp I did an 11.9 on 22s. So an ek being a little heavier and not knowing what you've done makes the question harder. Gearing is important for drag. Id check out some gear calculators and mess with those. Id recommend mfactory gear calculator, but it looks like they took it down temporarily while they work on their website. But I know there are others out there.
I'm sure Im not the best help since I don't have direct experience with the setup you have, which is what you were asking for. But I hope this helps some.
i was just hoping this set up would give atleast 12 low on the clock on your opinion with these closed gearing and 4.4 give me the time slips for 12 low sir
Old 01-25-2018, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
The most important value here with respect to gearing and tire size is this: trap speed. You need a few baseline passes in the 1/4 mile in order to figure out what gear and rpm you cross the traps in. Ideally, you want to reach the end of the 1/4 mile in fourth gear at or just under redline. Once you have a good idea how fast you will be traveling at the end of the quarter, you can add a few mph to that number and punch that into a trans gear ratio calculator... and then adjust the final drive numbers to see which works best for YOUR application.
In your opinion sir would this kind of set up give me atleast a 12 low timeslips just taking a wild guess here
Old 01-28-2018, 05:48 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran the numbers on Zeal Autoworks Calculator and those are some REALLY short gears. Even with the 4.4 final and an 8500RPM redline, you'd be at 95mph at the very top of 4th gear. I have a '99 EK hatch with right at 200whp, a stock geared B16 transmission, 195/40/16 (22.14") tires, and I cross the traps at around 95mph. I'm assuming with 35whp more you'd either be banging off the rev limiter or having to shift to 5th. You could always run a slightly bigger tire to compensate though.

If your question is whether to run the 4.4 or the 4.9, unless I'm badly mistaken you'll NEED to run the 4.4 or you'll be shifting to 5th on the track.

EDIT: Even with a 24.5 tire and at 8500 you have a shorter 4th by 10mph than a stock B16 at 8100.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
I ran the numbers on Zeal Autoworks Calculator and those are some REALLY short gears. Even with the 4.4 final and an 8500RPM redline, you'd be at 95mph at the very top of 4th gear. I have a '99 EK hatch with right at 200whp, a stock geared B16 transmission, 195/40/16 (22.14") tires, and I cross the traps at around 95mph. I'm assuming with 35whp more you'd either be banging off the rev limiter or having to shift to 5th. You could always run a slightly bigger tire to compensate though.

If your question is whether to run the 4.4 or the 4.9, unless I'm badly mistaken you'll NEED to run the 4.4 or you'll be shifting to 5th on the track.

EDIT: Even with a 24.5 tire and at 8500 you have a shorter 4th by 10mph than a stock B16 at 8100.

thanks bro also in your opinion which will be better stock gear with 4.9 fd or the short gears with 4.4 i also need to look up that possibilities, my goal is to reach atleast 12 on my timeslips
Old 01-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to follow up my car is presently cut off @ 9000 rpm would it be good to stay on those rev limiter or lower it down a little
Old 01-28-2018, 08:22 AM
I like the tuna here

Here's the transmission calculator http://www.zealautowerks.com/transcalc.php, play around with it a little bit regarding tire size, gearing, and final drive. From what I can see going with stock gearing and a 4.9 FD would give you 113mph at the top of 4th at 9000rpm limit.

I'm going to say something that I honestly mean no offense by. You seem to be going about this backwards, you're trying to put together a custom gearset but asking random people online (me) whether you should lower your RPM limit. The second part makes me think you are pretty new to this, or you would know that without any engine specs except for a HP number, there is absolutely NO way I or anyone else can give good advice about your rev limit.

I can totally understand wanting to get everything right the first time and have everything match each other perfectly, but bottom line is you're going to have to give us a LOT more info (full engine build part breakdown + fuel type + dyno charts, etc.) or nothing we say will be helpful.

My recommendation is to put a stock GSR or B16 transmission with an aftermarket LSD in there and then run it and see what happens, and adjust from there. You're splitting hairs with making a custom gearset at your (apparent) experience level.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the transmission calculator Honda Transmission Calculator by ZealAutowerks, play around with it a little bit regarding tire size, gearing, and final drive. From what I can see going with stock gearing and a 4.9 FD would give you 113mph at the top of 4th at 9000rpm limit.

I'm going to say something that I honestly mean no offense by. You seem to be going about this backwards, you're trying to put together a custom gearset but asking random people online (me) whether you should lower your RPM limit. The second part makes me think you are pretty new to this, or you would know that without any engine specs except for a HP number, there is absolutely NO way I or anyone else can give good advice about your rev limit.

I can totally understand wanting to get everything right the first time and have everything match each other perfectly, but bottom line is you're going to have to give us a LOT more info (full engine build part breakdown + fuel type + dyno charts, etc.) or nothing we say will be helpful.

My recommendation is to put a stock GSR or B16 transmission with an aftermarket LSD in there and then run it and see what happens, and adjust from there. You're splitting hairs with making a custom gearset at your (apparent) experience level.
yes sir im honest about it that im new to this sir thats why im asking people about this and trying to read a lot to but anyways ill just just try to take it slowly and see the developments ☺☺☺
Old 01-28-2018, 09:07 AM
I like the tuna here

Basically, if you look at your dyno sheet and it hasn't leveled off at the top, technically you're fine with your rev limit. I say technically, because that's still a high RPM and whether the engine holds together reliably is dependent on a lot of factors: how well the engine was balanced, crank dampener type, rod/stroke ratio, how precisely the engine was assembled, what, if any, concessions were made for high-RPM usage. (rod bolts/crank girdle etc.)
Old 01-28-2018, 09:11 AM
I like the tuna here

If everything was done very well with ARP/aftermarket rod bolts, you're at stock GSR rod/stroke ratio, the engine/flywheel was balanced, and you have a dampened crank pulley, you should be fine. If not all of those are done, I wouldn't personally recommend it.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If everything was done very well with ARP/aftermarket rod bolts, you're at stock GSR rod/stroke ratio, the engine/flywheel was balanced, and you have a dampened crank pulley, you should be fine. If not all of those are done, I wouldn't personally recommend it.
hey sir im thanking you a lot for the gear calculator for youve just sent out it helps a lot now i got to compare my gears to other gears and basically building slowly knowledge on this thing hahaha and also thanks for the info much help
Old 01-28-2018, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes sir ive done quite a bit mods on the engine strenthening it with some aftermarket parts but i cant assure other sides but further more i hope it would last hahaha
Old 01-28-2018, 12:22 PM
I like the tuna here

Post up the timeslips when you run it! Don't get discouraged if it doesn't run what you are expecting though. I have a theoretically 13.00 Civic, but the best I've done so far is 14 flat, haha.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post up the timeslips when you run it! Don't get discouraged if it doesn't run what you are expecting though. I have a theoretically 13.00 Civic, but the best I've done so far is 14 flat, haha.
the last run i took about a year ago is i got a 14.17 and my best run was at flat 14 i was hoping to surpass my record and go up to 12