Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

"Professional" Detailers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Professional" Detailers

I just got my car back from the show and had the rear bumper/trunk lid repainted after a collision. After they painted it they "polished it" which more or less just put a TON of swirl marks in it. The areas that aren't swirled where I'm assuming the guy missed are still hazy.

I am going to fix it with the DA in a couple of weeks when the paint dries a bit more, but it's a joke that "professionals" can't do a decent job of buffing a car. In fact they make it look worse.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "Professional" Detailers

Sorry to hear that your car got messed up but professionals like myself and others on this site don't appreciate getting thrown in the same category with clueless hack job amateurs. Sounds like you took your car to a place that was cheap, instead of reputable. If you had paid a fair price for the work that was done, you would have taken the car back to get 'polished' properly. Instead, it seems you took the cheap route, and now you're stuck with correcting the job yourself.

When my car was hit, I had the whole car redone. They did a progressive wetsanding, compounding and polish job after it was finished. I paid a pretty penny for that job and I still haven't seen a single swirl or sanding mark show through.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RoadRage212
Sorry to hear that your car got messed up but professionals like myself and others on this site don't appreciate getting thrown in the same category with clueless hack job amateurs. Sounds like you took your car to a place that was cheap, instead of reputable. If you had paid a fair price for the work that was done, you would have taken the car back to get 'polished' properly. Instead, it seems you took the cheap route, and now you're stuck with correcting the job yourself.

When my car was hit, I had the whole car redone. They did a progressive wetsanding, compounding and polish job after it was finished. I paid a pretty penny for that job and I still haven't seen a single swirl or sanding mark show through.

Lol slow down there smokey. First of all, since you are clearly new to the the interwebs or somethings when you put quotes around something it is implying that it is not what it would typically represent. So "professionals" is saying that they are, in fact, not. I'm not breaking your *****. I don't know who the **** you are and have never seen you post.

Secondly, the cheap route you so speak of was 2300 for a new bumper and deck lid. ~1000 for parts and 1300 for labor. I would expect paying someone $65+ an hour would be sufficient. Hell I, someone with no training at all, can remove swirls from a bumper. It takes a long time but it isn't rocket science. But I appreciate you ragging on me, it is clearly my fault people who do this as a living don't give a ****.

I was frustrated with someone doing a shitty job with a buffer and ranting, and you start breaking my *****? Either you are having a bad day, or deserve to DIAF. Either way step off.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DBAl
Lol slow down there smokey. First of all, since you are clearly new to the the interwebs or somethings when you put quotes around something it is implying that it is not what it would typically represent. So "professionals" is saying that they are, in fact, not. I'm not breaking your *****. I don't know who the **** you are and have never seen you post.

Secondly, the cheap route you so speak of was 2300 for a new bumper and deck lid. ~1000 for parts and 1300 for labor. I would expect paying someone $65+ an hour would be sufficient. Hell I, someone with no training at all, can remove swirls from a bumper. It takes a long time but it isn't rocket science. But I appreciate you ragging on me, it is clearly my fault people who do this as a living don't give a ****.

I was frustrated with someone doing a shitty job with a buffer and ranting, and you start breaking my *****? Either you are having a bad day, or deserve to DIAF. Either way step off.
SMOKEY? ROFL grandpa... You came in saying that "professional" detailers couldn't do the same job as you with a DA orbital buffer. I'm a professional detailer. Thats how I make my living. So when you come into a subforum for DETAILERS ranting about your paint snafu using your fantastic verbage, then you should be able to understand why your OP came off as a little rude. Whether or not you meant it that way, thats how it looked to me. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you online. I honestly don't give a damn about you or your car especially after your last statements.

But bet your *** I would have taken it back to that shop if I were unhappy with the job. Crappy detailers or not they would have seen what a great job they did. If they can't satisfy you after paying that much for a bumper and decklid to be replaced painted and detailed, then they should pay for someone who can, such as myself or any other pros that post in here.

The problem you are having with the crappy workmanship is common with low budget body shops. Its easy to assume that the reason you didn't take it back is because you got a 'great deal' and you don't think they would help you out in any way. I guess I am new to the interwebz because I usually handle my business in person instead of making pointless threads about it online. For Christ's sake you didn't even bother to post pics. Sooooo I'm gonna need you to come in and work this Saturday mmmmmmmkay? Grrrrrrreeaaaat.

Last edited by RoadRage212; 12-07-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what sucks about your situation is the paint was probably still "soft" when they did their thing. that will make the marks in the clear a lot deeper and more difficult to get out. good luck. like mentioned above, might need to wetsand it to get the swirls out???
Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 AM

man let him buff his car himself hes gona f it up it takes skills to be a good buffer ive been doing it for 4 years and i still learn new methods every year. n roadrage212 the problem he is having is w a low budget body shop that simply doesnt care their is a reason u are payin 200 for a painted bumper compare to my shop $450 w detail included..
Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redboost10
what sucks about your situation is the paint was probably still "soft" when they did their thing. that will make the marks in the clear a lot deeper and more difficult to get out. good luck. like mentioned above, might need to wetsand it to get the swirls out???
Luckily, they didn't hit it too hard. The swirls are shallow. The paint is still really hazy towards the edges like they didn't even hit it at all. In a couple of weeks when it sets up a bit better I'll buff/wet sand as necessary.

Originally Posted by TEAM JDM-P
man let him buff his car himself hes gona f it up it takes skills to be a good buffer ive been doing it for 4 years and i still learn new methods every year. n roadrage212 the problem he is having is w a low budget body shop that simply doesnt care their is a reason u are payin 200 for a painted bumper compare to my shop $450 w detail included..
It does take a ton of time, that's for sure, but every time I have buffed a car (4-5 times) I just start with a very mild pad/polish combo. It takes a long time but it is just about impossible to screw up paint with a DA.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TEAM JDM-P
He paid $2300 for a trunk and rear bumper to be painted, installed and 'detailed'. I never said that he couldn't do it himself, or that he would screw it up if he tried. He might do a fine job at it. I don't know him and I don't know what skills he has or what tools he plans on using.

My problem was this: after paying that much for TWO panels on a car, why not take it back and let them correct the job themselves? I understand that if they screwed it up the first time, they might not do a better job the second time just because you are unhappy. They might suck and not know how to deliver a better looking product. If that were the case, I would propose that some sort of agreement be made on getting some $$$ back in your pocket or finding someone who can make you happy with the job at their expense.

I hope everything can be resolved and the OP'er is happy with his car, but not trying to resolve a problem with someone you do business with simply allows them to continue to bad work and get away with it.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, i would take it back. i've been down this road twice in my life, both times with my current mazda.

the first time is a long story, but i didn't go to my normal guy because he was in-between shops. i needed my roof done. the guy i took it to came with a pretty good reco, but needless to say it def didn't pan out. i had him redo it, but it was still not that great. at that stage i didn't trust him so i got my cash back.

a while later, i had my rear fender lips rolled and wanted them done right, so that required some light body work and, of course, refinishing. my normal guy once again didn't get the work because of scheduling issues, and sure enough the guy i chose was recommended but really hacked up my paint. you can find my story in paint and body on here, anyway...i got my money back once again, around 1400. i had to battle with him because like the first guy after he hacked my **** up i def didn't feel like risking the car anymore, and wasting mine or his time. i ended up going to my normal guy and whoa he took care of it properly.

the point of the story is, you do have to weigh out if you should just cut your losses and fix it yourself (if you can), or take it back if you trust them enough to actually do it right. if they try again, and it's still not right, you atleast have enough reason to do a chargeback with your CC. i ALWAYS pay with CC with this stuff, and my business CC no less...saving money in taxes with a cash deal is simply not worth the hassle IF there is an issue. and, so far, the two times i've not gone to my regular guy i've had hell to pay, so...i'm just sayin'
Old 12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I may end up taking it back, I'm just nervous that they will make it worse.

I'll take pictures tomorrow to show you guys what it looks like and get some advice on what sort of attention it needs.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Took it back today. From what I can tell they did a pretty good job.... except for the hole they burnt through the paint.

I have to take it back Monday to have them re paint it and re-rebuff it.