Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Mazda Rx-7: Burning the midnight oil...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda Rx-7: Burning the midnight oil...

This time around I had the owner of an Rx-7 that needed me to come out and have a look at his baby. I didn't know it was a NEW paint job I would be working on, but I was wishing it were a restoration project by the time I was done.

The painter had left significant sand scratching and trash behind [not bashing] and I knew I was in for a long night. Having just worked 11 hours that day, I braved the rain and made it over to the garage the car was being 'built' in. Since it was 7pm when I started on the car, I didn't have a lot of time for pictures. Keep in mind that I was working on the car until midnight; the side profiles of the vehicle were in the dark for the most part and I had little options for light to check my work.

This is ROUND ONE people, I'm not completely done with her yet. She will get a couple more rounds of sanding on the hood, there are a few sanding marks still in the roof, and the sides of the vehicle aren't as clear as they could be. I'm headed back to the owner's garage this week to finish her up until she is ready for wax!!!

BEFORE PICTURES:

Since he was nice enough to leave the trunk off for me, I did 90% of the work I wanted to the trunk so we wouldn't have to remove it down the road. This is after some work with 1500 and a 3M sanding block, and then 2000 grit and a 3M soft sanding sponge:

After the trunk, I wasn't able to do the intensive wetsanding with the rest of the car. This was mostly due to the fact the car had been heavily sanded already, and I knew it wouldn't be smart to start sanding on top of it without knowing how much was underneath to work with. This is why I'm going back to finish the job. Here's the remaining pics. Did I mention this story had a unique twist? Stick around for a suprise ending!

A little bit of the haziness is showing with this one and a few more in the rest of the album:

A few sanding marks top left corner

Now the part you've all been waiting for lol

Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for looking! We should have some updates posted by the end of the week with direct sunlight shots!!!
-RRD
Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mazda Rx-7: Burning the midnight oil...

damn an LS2 in that thing. That painter looks like a shotty painter at most. nice work on the trunk
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 PM

nice job. is that overspray i see on the radiator, filter for the intake?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol yeah not the best painter in the world but I've seen worse. I guess thats why people like me exist. I'm headed back in the morning to do the same on the hood and other horizontal areas as I did with the trunk. Expect more pics by tomorrow night.

I would show you a few pics that he took but since he posted them incorrectly, the thread on Houston-Imports was locked. Here's the thread instead: http://www.houston-imports.com/forum...d.php?t=521735
Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A few overall shots to check out until I get done with her today!

[/QUOTE]