Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Ferrari 458 Italia Tag Team Paint Correction by Unique and Tru Shine Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrari 458 Italia Tag Team Paint Correction by Unique and Tru Shine Detailing

I was invited up to Bristol VA by my good friend David Purser of Unique Mobile Detailing to help work on this Ferrari 458 Italia. Surprisingly, with only 600 miles on the car, these cars do not get delivered to the customer in perfect condition. There were lots of paint defects and sand scratches and buffer trails all over the car. This car received a full paint correction and a quick interior clean up, so with that being said, let's get this write up going.

We pulled the car outside to see what exactly we were working with. In these pics you can see all of the holograms and buffer trails not only on the black, but you can see them on the while also.

buffer trails on the roof

also on and around the doors

So for the Wash process, it's always good to start with cleaning the wheels first. This will help prevent water from just setting on the paint surface increasing the chances of causing water spots on the paint and glass.

First the wheels were pre-rinsed to dislodge and loose debris

Then we Used some Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner to clean the wheels. This is a pH balanced wheel cleaner that is safe for all types of wheels and brakes and when sprayed on the wheels, it will activate with the iron particles and turn to a red color letting you know it is working.

after the wheel cleaner was left to dwell for a few minutes, we then agitated them with various wheel brushes such as the EZ detail brush and the Swissvax brush to get deep into the wheels and all the tight areas.

Next we pre-rinsed the car down making sure that all loose debris were knocked off, this helps make sure your not grinding anything into the paint when washing.

as you can tell from the water beading, there was some type of protection on the car, so it is a important step to remove all of this, so we will get a Tru correction later when the car is buffed on.

To strip the protection off of the car, we used a mixture of Dawn Ultra concentrate and some Degreaser mixed in the Foam canon.

Then all crevices were agitated

Then the car was washed using 100% sheep skin wash mitts and the two bucket method with Grit Guards in the each bucket.

Then the car was rinsed

but beading was still there, So we gave it one more foam bath with extra foam this time letting it dwell for a short time

This time we got what we were looking for, no water beading

Next we pulled the car back into the garage

While David was using the Metro Air Force Blaster to get all of the water out of the cracks and crevices, I dried off the car using a micro fiber towel.

Next we clayed the car using Clay Magic Blue Fine Clay

Then we began to tape it up

Just to make sure the paint was safe and thick enough to buff on, we took Paint thickness measurements all over the car, The average was about 9mils thick all over. which let us know we had plenty of room to work with.

Now that she is all taped up, we can began

here are some of the swirls and defects found using our Brinkmans Swirl finder light.

Testing out the new Meguiars DA system (Which worked amazingly)

great correction was achieved

For the Correction process, I used the Griot's 6in DA with the Meguiars DA system and David chose the Flex 3401.

here are some more of the buffer trails and holograms that came from the factory....

here is a hard to see 50/50 shot

and here it is after the cutting disc and D300

we had the music going and we were getting in the zone!

Here are some sand scratches left behind from the factory. These were on the rear lower side skirt on the passenger side.

After being buffed out.

The rear quarter panel had some really bad sand marks

I had to use the Surbuff pad and Meguiars M105 to remove the heavier sand marks.

While i was doing that, David was working on the rear

The owner had asked us if we could do anything about some paint flaking off near the rear air vent

The passenger side was fine but the driver side flaked off a little bit for some reason. This is what it is saposed to look like

So to fix it, I taped off a straight line and added some black touch up paint.

Then removed the tape......and walla! Cant even tell a difference.

After the Polishing stage, We pulled the car out side to check it over.

Then we brought it back inside and applied some Black Fire Wet Diamond on a Blue LC pad

While David was Doing that, I applied some Rejex to the wheels.

We left the BFWD to cure for a bit while we cleaned up the inside, we did a quick Vacum and Wipe down with some 303

Then it was time to wipe off the BFWD and polish on the tips

Then backed it out for the Final Pics.

Bonus pics:

The Boss is home!

Thanks For Viewing, and Stay tuned for some 911 turbo and R8 Spyder action.....

Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ferrari 458 Italia Tag Team Paint Correction by Unique and Tru Shine Detailing

I wet my pants! BRB!! =P
Old 06-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ferrari 458 Italia Tag Team Paint Correction by Unique and Tru Shine Detailing

AWESOME!
i finally got a job as a mobil detailer but when i go Tru SHine Style on cars the boss gets mad cos i take too long and im too into detail WTF!!!! DETAIL......er!

makes me mad. not a real detailer :/

i look up to you man!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is a sweet collection of cars.

Where did you get this brush?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that garage

nice job man, fantastic results
Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt know there were many drug lords/oil barons living in Tennessee...
Old 06-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ALWAYS THOROUGHLY enjoy your threads Panda....Your results TOTALLY Supersede OEM, we can see the difference here.

But gotta say it....this has to be one of more wealthy clients you've worked for....that's an over the top garage. The divide between the wealthy and the middle class is definitely growing and the rich have MORE money than they've EVER had before!!!!!!!!!

I can only hope the client TRULY appreciated Your fantastic efforts!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Amazing work as always man...just out of curiosity what did you guys charge for that job?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. For that price tag a car like this BETTER get delivered in perfect condition.

2. 600 miles, and the car already has chipping like that...they REALLY don't make cars like they used too.
*Everyone's all concerned about the earth so manufacturers are forced to use this shitty water-based paint, by the time a car touches the consumers hand the paint has already gone to crap. Epic FAIL.

3. FANTASTIC attention to detail here, I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice. Job well done Panda.

Cheers.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 AM
CB
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome results, I really enjoy looking at your work
Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 PM
So what I drive a Volvo

Jesus that was and outstanding job with epic results. I want his garage... my god some sexy cars.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PreyStayShun
1. For that price tag a car like this BETTER get delivered in perfect condition.

2. 600 miles, and the car already has chipping like that...they REALLY don't make cars like they used too.
*Everyone's all concerned about the earth so manufacturers are forced to use this shitty water-based paint, by the time a car touches the consumers hand the paint has already gone to crap. Epic FAIL.

3. FANTASTIC attention to detail here, I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice. Job well done Panda.

Cheers.
I second that. I would of sent it right back to the dealer I bought it from. 300k plus car and that. My buddies bought his in newport beach and was perfect right off the floor.

Nice job on bringing it back to what enzo would love to see
Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
My buddies bought his in newport beach and was perfect right off the floor.
that is hard to believe. rarely (if ever) does any car, period, come from the factory without (at least) some sort of prep induced defects. i am willing to bet if your friend's car was scrutinized in the right lighting you would find finish correction to be necessary.

i have not done any latest gen ferraris but i can say with complete confidence that the previous generations v8 cars, going back to the 348, are not made/painted to the precision that people think they are. the powerplants are amazing, the chassis dynamics are great, but the finishing touches are not nearly as wonderful as they should be for the price.

OP, great job, as usual

i find it interesting that your partner is wearing a metal ring and a belt...and a watch, although it appears to be some sort of rubber or plastic. i'm careful to a sickening degree and still refrain from wearing anything that could potentially, inadvertantly touch any surface of the vehicle, especially if the vehicle isn't mine.

i still haven't found sonax to be worth the cost of admission vs. power clean. it makes cool colors and seems to work very well but it's just too expensive.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton

^^^, I not sure if it came from the factory like that. But I know the dealer had the car detailed with them or out sourced it. Looking on there showroom floor. Someone has to keep them clean. The ones outside do look a lil how can I say it. Under par.