Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Dealer touched up a stone chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer touched up a stone chip

Really wish they hadn't. Its right in the middle of the hood. No my Grand Father taught me out to touch up chips like a pro. He was painting cars for over 50 years when he retired. He knew how to spray em like no one else.

Now this touch up is sticking up or built up higher than the surrounding paint. I am afraid to start screwing around with it now. Do any of you have suggestions for this? Or should I take it back and tell them to fix it?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dealer touched up a stone chip

If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it guys just send me a pm to the link after ok? Or an email.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are a few threads out there where detailers touch up the paint, then wet sand/clearcoat/buff/polish. Just to give you a starting point. I don't know any specific threads/links off the top of my head.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Krator
Really wish they hadn't. Its right in the middle of the hood. No my Grand Father taught me out to touch up chips like a pro. He was painting cars for over 50 years when he retired. He knew how to spray em like no one else.

Now this touch up is sticking up or built up higher than the surrounding paint. I am afraid to start screwing around with it now. Do any of you have suggestions for this? Or should I take it back and tell them to fix it?
if you aren't happy, take it back. the problem is, they probably won't be able to touch it up any better.

why did they touch it up in the first place? what happened? pics?

anyway, there are a few options. on you might want to try is langka. as far as other choices, there are a bunch of DIYs about filling the chip, block sanding, buffing, etc., but the problem is you run the risk of making it much worse. langka might be your best bet.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not interested in sanding it up and then spraying it in. I will take the part off that is sticking up with an exacto knife then do a proper touch up. I just wish they hadn't done anything with it at all.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Trial User

I know you said you weren't interested in sanding but if the color is right just wet sand that area and buff it out. It should barely be noticeable if don't the right way.