Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Classic Hondas (https://honda-tech.com/forums/classic-hondas-106/)
-   -   A Second Gen. Honda Civic as my First Car? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/classic-hondas-106/second-gen-honda-civic-my-first-car-3284176/)

Pixelcitizen 08-26-2016 07:53 PM

A Second Gen. Honda Civic as my First Car?

Hello. I have recently made an account here. I've been into Hondas/cars in general for at least a year now. Although there's no doubt that, for my first car, it would AT LEAST be a Honda (mostly a Civic), I've carried a keen interest in the 2nd Generation models... As in, the 1980-1983 models....
For my first car....

I guess I've been interested in these particular models because not only have I heard of people still daily driving these things despite hitting the 30-year-old mark, but the models also seem to carry almost everything I want out of my first car: Attractive styling (at least I believe so... I personally never cared for the post-'83 designs. :( ), a decent listing price (I've seen working ones sell for under $2,000... Which seems fair to me), Ok performance (I guess I can live without having 200 HP), and an easy-to-fix-yet-reliable structure. Plus, there's Bluey... A 1982 Honda Civic in New York that simply would never die despite having an interior and exterior that was falling apart left-to-right... Here's a video to prove such a miracle:

However, my parents have (understandably) pushed me to get a more recent model (as in, a post-late-90's model). It's totally understandable, and it's not like I'm going into a total psychopathic rage over this (over a car? That would be really silly). Yet, because of my undying interest, I guess this all leads me to the following questions: Are the 2nd Gen. models THAT reliable? Is there anybody that's still chugging these things daily? If so, may I ask what it's like? I would really like to receive some information. Thank You very much. :)

GrumpyOne 10-07-2016 05:17 AM

Re: A Second Gen. Honda Civic as my First Car?

Holy Crap!!!

I thought that I was bad as I drive an '82 Civic DX 1500 automatic everyday here in Texas where normally cars are rust free. But my current driver began its service life in Kansas which is sorta the beginning of the rust belt and had some rocker panel rust which I fiberglassed in before returning the car for daily service back in '09. I've never seen one so far gone as your's that is still on the road. How do you get by car inspections?

​​​​​​​If you're gonna scrap it, I would be interested in the door arm rests...

Pixelcitizen 10-07-2016 04:04 PM

Re: A Second Gen. Honda Civic as my First Car?

Originally Posted by GrumpyOne (Post 51076548)
Holy Crap!!!

I thought that I was bad as I drive an '82 Civic DX 1500 automatic everyday here in Texas where normally cars are rust free. But my current driver began its service life in Kansas which is sorta the beginning of the rust belt and had some rocker panel rust which I fiberglassed in before returning the car for daily service back in '09. I've never seen one so far gone as your's that is still on the road. How do you get by car inspections?

​​​​​​​If you're gonna scrap it, I would be interested in the door arm rests...

I'm sorry, but I think you've been mistaken: Bluey was only an example car I used for this post. I'm not the owner of it... In fact, honestly, I wouldn't even consider buying it.
The guy who owned this had also already scrapped it a couple of years ago, so it less likely that he'll still have most of the parts. :(