Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

S600 Coupe Off frame restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: S600 Coupe Off frame restoration

great progress. it's amazing where the time goes looking back at the first page.

enjoy reading your thread
Old 08-24-2015, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" I think it was AUD25 from K-Mart in Burwood. Neko[/QUOTE]"

Tell us about your time in Australia, Neko?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Almost 200,000 hits John, amazing! It's been a long journey this one, looking forward to taking her for a spin no doubt...when all done?
Old 08-27-2015, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BMS250FORD
Tell us about your time in Australia, Neko?
Sure! The weather was nice most if the time, the coffee tremendous, and I never understood why there's a holiday for a horse race.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The body is back in the same postcode as the chassis after over 3 years in Melbourne. That's where the horse race holiday happens. It will remain in the race trailer till I return to Adelaide from Perth mid October. I'm planning a project on my milling machine when I get home so the Honda may have to wait a bit longer. If milling machines are of any interest then I am sure I can bore you with my mill thread here:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...8&goto=newpost
Attached Images   
Old 10-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had to look twice to see the S chassis on top of the trailer. Looks small! Only 32 more sleeps before the horse race too I see...

Interested to see too what stuff for the S the milling machine can make. Willwood disk brake conversion mounts? Valve guides with seals? Five-speed transmission carrier plates? Neko.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just more parts for the conversion of the Z-axis of the Mill to CNC control.

I have done a couple of Honda jobs on my Mill with just the X and Y axis CNC controlled. 4 years ago.

Cylinder head

Exhaust flange
Old 12-15-2015, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been busy making parts for my milling machine CNC conversion.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed!! Amazing work, and progress! Good luck the rest of the way. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this build!
Old 12-27-2015, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have unloaded the trailer and got the body up in the middle of my shed at home. I may get inspired to do some more if I'm tripping over it. A little bit more to do on my Mill project to finish the Z Axis CNC conversion, mainly cables, electronics and programing. I recently acquired an old Bandsaw that I have slowed down the band speed for cutting Aluminium. Great for cutting stock for milling and ultimately making parts for the Honda.
38C or over 100F in Adelaide on Xmas day. Hope you had a good one.
Attached Images      
Old 12-28-2015, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nicely equipped shop BMS250FORD, good luck and best wishes on your upcoming work on the S.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Murray in the UK is doing similar work on his Mill and he owns a Honda S800. I there more of us out there? Or is this a bit spooky?

Old 08-10-2016, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been tripping over my Honda to get across my shed. My King Rich (Bridgeport Clone) Milling machine CNC home built conversion is now operational and I have been having a play. I have been designing and modelling parts with Fusion 360 and then using the CAM function to generate tool paths in G-Code for the Mach3 controller on the mill. Here is an example of the system machining a 3D curved contour which is impossible on a manual mill. The Halo LED arrays would make good tail light inserts as they are 12V DC.
Attached Images           
Old 12-28-2016, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been asked to check my "Junk pile" for a RHS window regulator. This one was still fitted to a damaged drivers door and seems to be in very good condition. Not sure if the door was from a Coupe or Roadster as the door frame and glass had been removed. Not sure if it matters. Are there any variations in the regulators over the time the cars were produced? Just hoping the one I have for my car is just as good, as I didn't have time to find it to do a comparison today. Only a few hours in Adelaide today while the missus spent some time at a day spa. The "junk pile" hasn't got any smaller and my S600 project is just begging for some attention. It will still be there when I return from my Melbourne venture in 18 months?
Attached Images         
Old 12-30-2016, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi John,

Appears to be mostly the same as the one in my coupe, slight design differences only. It does not have the small 90 degree bracket off the roller arm.

Paul.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have taken a close up of a 90 degree bracket with adjuster on the roller arm. Is this what you couldn't see?
The kitchen table at the shack is a bit older than the Honda part and a couple of years older than me.
A hand-me-down from the wife's parents, originally one of their wedding presents. Another retro relic.
Doubles as my work bench when I'm pissing around down here at Normanville.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Upon close inspection of both my regulators, they both had brackets at some point. They have been neatly filed down and look and feel

factory. So I need a left side regulator also, or will weld a bracket on the one I have. All part of the fun I guess.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Btw Normanville...is only a short distance to where I bought my coupe, in Carisbrook! About 150 kms, give or take!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe that is a coupe difference and you need to cut the bracket off this one?

Normanville is a bit further than 150km.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello John, I discovered your thread today and just had to read it from start to finish. I have recently recommenced the restoration of my S600 coupe however I actually started this restoration some 25 years ago but I became a bit disillusioned 23 years ago when the person doing the body work sold his business and left me in in the lurch without sufficient funds at the time to get someone else to finish the job (so the $2000 I spent on Glasurit paint for the car back then was money down the drain). Then work, sport, kids etc got in the way and I lost interest so the project just sat in the shed (and moved house with me three times). The vast majority of my car is in close to new condition with new front guards installed and the engine and gearbox having both been fully rebuilt (prior to me purchasing the project) with new components throughout some 30 years ago and never filled with oil or water. However the rear drive chain system is a different story has been "worked on" but not restored. Upon disassembly I discovered that the chain tensioner rubber wheels had previously disintegrated and someone had bodged up totally inadequate replacements and the dust seals either side of the pivot/mounting blocks are all very much worse for age. I have just ordered NOS dust seals for both sides of the pivot blocks from CMS (the last ones they had) but I have not been able to source chain tensioner wheels. In an earlier post you machined up replacement wheels and washers and you stated that you made up a couple of spares to sell or trade. Do you still have them as I would be very interested. I have set up my own Zinc plating and Chromate passivation baths in order to correctly restore many of my parts so perhaps I might be able to offer you a trade of service for parts? Here are a couple of pictures of the results I can achieve with the Zinc Chromating. Regards, Emile.

Name:  before:after.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  405.0 KBName:  before:after 1.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  267.2 KBName:  before:after 2.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  300.7 KBName:  parts.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  305.1 KB
Old 02-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi John, it was great talking with you today. I can confirm that my Blue (PB31) Coupe is indeed the very car detailed in the Service Booklet you showed pictures of (back on page 12), boy would I love to reunite that service booklet with my car. Here is a picture of the identification plate from the firewall of my car (carefully removed prior to sand blasting). So our cars are extremely close relatives, only separated by 7 and both the same PB31 Blue colour, perhaps we can organise a discount by getting them both painted at the same time. If your car was built in 65 then it must have been right at the end of December because mine (only 7 cars later) was built in 66. I thought you might also be interested to see my number plates. Securing these was quite a saga and took me about 6 years of persistently checking with the motor registrar to know where the premium plate series was up to and then some desperate last minute scrambling and a massive amount of very kind assistance of one motor registrar employee. When the time came, he organised for the box with these plates to be sent to the office where he worked but when it arrived the plates had been removed and already issued to another vehicle via the Regency vehicle inspection depot. He somehow managed to get the plates recalled, issuing the owner with another 00 numbered plate (they just wanted a cool plate) and then transferred the 600S plate to my vehicle. Needless to say I was very relieved and could not thank him enough. So even though the car has been unregistered since 2001 (it was only registered briefly to secure the plates, the car has actually been off the road since the mid 80's), this plate will forever belong to this car.
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Emile,
I haven't done a lot on my project for a while but this thread keeps on turning up plenty of surprises and makes the time to document the process worth every minute. Lots of new friends with similar interests and the old Adelaide local. Keen to meet you in person when I'm home next. Start your own thread and feel the love of the Honda community here.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Emile, found the spare tensioner rollers, you can collect them when it suits.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2018, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any updates?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a twin chain rear diagram and parts list. New set of 4x 428S chains.

Quick Reply: S600 Coupe Off frame restoration