Possible 76 CVCC Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible 76 CVCC Purchase

Just wanted some opinions here.....

http://smd.craigslist.org/cto/4508544250.html

Considering picking this up. Went and looked at it today, not anywhere near good shape by any means, but it isn't too far gone either. As the ad says, engine does not run, unsure if it is locked up from sitting or literally locked up. If it is literally locked, I will either rebuild it, replace it with stock, or maybe some sort of upgrade.

My uncle owns a restoration shop that I have worked for part time, so I understand the work ahead with the rust.

Any thoughts?

Also, I am baffled on one thing. The cluster has two gauges, the gas/temp and the speedo. But I have seen countless pictures of the left gauge being the tach and then a separate enclosure off to the right of the speedo holding a gauge for the gas and a gauge for the temp. Any insight here? Maybe because this is a 4 speed and not 5? Or only an RS trim option? Would be cool to upgrade to it.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Possible 76 CVCC Purchase

Originally Posted by tamadrummer1120

Considering picking this up. Went and looked at it today, not anywhere near good shape by any means, but it isn't too far gone either. As the ad says, engine does not run, unsure if it is locked up from sitting or literally locked up. If it is literally locked, I will either rebuild it, replace it with stock, or maybe some sort of upgrade.

My uncle owns a restoration shop that I have worked for part time, so I understand the work ahead with the rust.

Any thoughts?

Also, I am baffled on one thing. The cluster has two gauges, the gas/temp and the speedo. But I have seen countless pictures of the left gauge being the tach and then a separate enclosure off to the right of the speedo holding a gauge for the gas and a gauge for the temp. Any insight here? Maybe because this is a 4 speed and not 5? Or only an RS trim option? Would be cool to upgrade to it.
The posting has been deleted.

The deal with the gauges is the 4 speed thing, I believe. My car was originally a four speed, but was converted to five speed before I got it. It had the simpler dash cluster with speedo (right) and gas/temp (left). I got what is known as the "deluxe gauges" to be my first "mod." It is a quite common first on people's list. You just need to locate a tach or a tach cluster and the deluxe gauge cluster. Very easy to install and the center cluster IS plug-n-play.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tamadrummer1120

Any thoughts?

If it is the CL ad for $600, I saw it. Lots of metal work to be done.
If you have patience, find a rust free one as a starting point.
If you do buy that one, I currently have a 76 parts car.
I haven't checked the engine yet but will soon.
Some pics can be seen here: http://www.1stgencivic.com/forum/vie...hp?f=2&t=18643
Old 06-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I had known you were down this way, I would made an effort to come up and meet you, man, lolol.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretch7
If I had known you were down this way, I would made an effort to come up and meet you, man, lolol.
There will come a time. I'd enjoy that.

Last edited by bob78cvcc; 07-04-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ditto, my friend. Wish I was in an area closer to more folks that like to get out and do things with these cars.