Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Porsche wheels for the S600 and S800

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche wheels for the S600 and S800

as wheels are not easy to get hold of i have been looking into cheap alternatives for a set of track wheels.

every body seems to know that Porsche wheels could fit but did you know how cheap they are :D

it seems most of the Porsche wheels are horrid looking and the sought after Fuchs wheels are very expensive. the Porshe 944 "Cookie Cutter" wheels , i think, dont look too bad. the cookie cutter wheel mainly comes in two sizes. 15x6 and 15x7

i have checked ebay and it seems the cookie cutter wheels can be had for less than £100 for four and i have seen some go for around £50 for four

i bought these to try. they sort of look like a revoluton wheel.

four refurbished 15x6 wheels with excellent tyres for just under £100 :p . the tyres are too tall for what i want but i guess they my fit? anyway, i wanted to find a set of 6 inch wide wheels as the 13 inch wheels i have are 6 inches wide.

the offset is 36mm so a 16mm spacer will bring them out to exactly the same position as the 13 inch wheels. the 13 inch Apollo wheels had 185/60 x 13 tyres. so a bit of reasearch and a handy on line tyre size comparison site has led me to a tyre size that will match (near as dam it) the rolling radius of the 13 inch 185 tyres. they are 185/45 x 15. these are very rare but do exsist, or 175/50 x 15. the latter does seem to come up on a search so they are more readily available but a very limited choice. if they are cheap then a set of hooning tyres it wont matter even if they don't give best grip. obviously there are plenty of other tyre sizes that may fit under the arches but at the moment i want to keep the rolling radius the same.

i may get a set of wider cookie cutter wheels at a later date to try as they are cheap to buy.

now the down side. obviously the Porsche wheel nuts will be needed for the porsche wheels. i will be upgrading the studs to larger ones anyway so i could get some metric ones that will fit the porsche nut then get the Apollo 13inch wheel nuts redrilled and retapped.

i shall report back on any other findings as i find out what can and can't be done

-update-

i got 195/45x15 in the end as they were the easiest to get hold of, the rolling radius is very close to what i want and i got them cheap (helps to know people in the buisness :p )

on the car there is clearence, although iv'e only tried them with the suspension on droop, and it looks like spacers won't be needed.

iv'e also had anothet thought about wheel nuts. as the porsche nuts are needed and the porsche studs are much bigger, i think threaded bar the correct size for the porker nuts, drilled and tapped to the S800 stud size and then insert the threaded bar into the porsche nuts, leaving them a little longer for more of a purchase on the S800 studs. that way wheels can be swapped around easily between the S800 wheels and the porsche wheels without the need for changing the wheel studs.

i dont think wheel spacers will be needed as there is loads of clearence and i'm pretty sure the 7 inch wide porsche wheels will fit with no bother at all with the 195/45x15 tyres, the same as i have on the 6 inch wide wheels.

the whole package should cost no more than £300 for a set of wheels and tyres and nuts to fit straight on
Old 07-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Porsche wheels for the S600 and S800

looks good!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn those are hot!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those rims are ugly as ****...but they look pretty good on that body style, i was def. suprised
Old 08-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are not the best looking but they are cheap. ($100 to $200 for a set of four)

these are the same wheels but 7 inches wide (the rears have been welded and redrilled for a different axle)

another thing is they will be very strong compared to other after market wheels.

i shall be keeping my Apollo wheels for road use etc. and the porsch wheels for hooning around
Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the car is comming along nicely. I like the rims in black better though.

Oh, and your directional tire in the front was on backwards.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you will find they are 16 inch. (all the ones i found were). i have been looking but they seem to be more expencive as they need to be bought one at a time as they are a spare wheel. i expect the low profile 16 inch tyres are more expencive as well.

i also think they may be quite heavy for what they are and only designed as a spare so may not be as strong as a proper wheel. i'm only guessing but i don't like them anyway. i prefer the 13 inch wheels and my car will spend a lot of time on the 13 inch wheels, the porsche wheels will only come out mainly for track use.

well it seems maybe they are 15 inch wheels according to the site but for some reason the look bigger on the car. they are only 5.5 inches wide so tyre choice is more limited as 195 width tyres will be too wide.

Last edited by Bozwell; 08-04-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: more info