Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Performance/Suspension/Appearance Aftermarket Products For My 81 Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance/Suspension/Appearance Aftermarket Products For My 81 Civic?

Here is a link to more pics.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2065670

Well I was going to sell it since the car is only 1/2 mine and the guy who went splits with me wanted to sell it. Well a local company wants to sponsor the car and buy out the other 1/2 so I get to keep the car and get to modify it as I see fit. So now the gears in my head are spinning thinking about what I want to do to it.

The first thing that its demanding is a drop. It has full spring suspension and its illegal in Ontario to cut your springs so I want to see what it needs to lower it a few inches. Also rims, but Ill be able to source some nice 15" (hopefully deep dish like 20+ offset) rims without much of a problem Im sure. Then from there I want to get some sort of fender flares to hide the deep rims under.

Now before you scream "OMG BBQ no engine mods?!" I know that. I would love to swap a B Series or K Series in this thing, but finances are tight to say the least. Also does anyone know of any company that makes mounting brackets for this car for a B series? If not I assume that I would have to weld and modify my own bracketing system correct from HASport or something mounts?

Any links or tips would be great.

CRX Forum
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Performance/Suspension/Appearance Aftermarket Products For My 81 Civic? (crxforum)

So far the only aftermarket parts Ive found are headlights, car cover and carpet. Anyone know of anything else?

CRX Forum
Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, nobody makes a mount kit for a B series, or any other engine swap for that matter. If somebody did, it would be like mounting a K series into an EF as opposed to a B series (instead of just adapter mounts, the actual mount points are modified and will more than likely require welding and new bracketry). It's not too hard to DIY the mounts and get an engine in there anyway.

As far as lowering it, I know I've posted in at least two threads about the topic already. There are 2 or 3 companies down under that make springs for them. They will lower it about 1-1.5" and cost you well over $500 by the time you pay freight.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 AM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Performance/Suspension/Appearance Aftermarket Products For My 81 Civic? (crxforum)

I'm glad to hear that you're keeping this car.

Anyway, Weber makes an aftermarket Carb, that's all I was able to find for these cars myself. Since I've got an 83 1500S, I'll be sure to share any leads I find as to aftermarket parts.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a bunch of info on 1stgencivic.org that I found, and contributed to when my friend and I did the same thing you're doing. We just found that after replacing the entire floor pan, there was really just too much rust to keep the thing.

There's lots of talk about using EG shocks up front. You just need to make a shim for the knuckle out of 18g sheet metal to make up the difference in diameter and modify the shock hats. The BAD thing about this is that it's a Macpherson strut. So, going with a shock from a standard dual wishbone setup, the shaft is much smaller and might not take the side loads.
I spent HOURS on the phone with one of the guys at Ground Control. I had all the measurements you could ask for, and still came up dry as far as even using a shock insert.
If I recall correctly, if you can find front knuckles from an old accord, you can then cut the stock shocks apart and use an insert from something like an MX3.... Give Ground Control a call. They will definitely help you.
For the rear, the easiest way to go is to do an extended shock hat and some coilovers. You'll have to add in something to center the spring. Aftermarket shocks are limited to KYB GR2's... But it's a light car and should hold up.
There are also some cool direct bolt on conversions for brakes. EG calipers with something like an 84-85 accord rotor or something like that. Makes a huge different.

One thing we did on ours that I LOVED was as follows. Remove the front and rear bumpers. Drill into the gas shocks (wear eye protection!). Shove the shock in as far as it will go. Bolt it back up with the bumper sucked in. Mark it. Weld it.
The car looks way less clumsy with the bumpers sucked in. It's a good "I have an hour or two to kill" project.
There are still some fender flares and flared fenders available. But they're in short supply.
Honestly, a D series swap is probably the way to go. Light car, cheap disposable motor that's lighter than the stock one. The wiring is SUPER easy, if you don't mind creating a gauge cluster. There's info on axles out there too.
Sorry, I can't remember specifics on a lot of stuff, but it should get you going in the right direction. There's a lot of knowledge about the 2nd gens out there. You just have to pick people's brains until you find the right people.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The bumper mod also looks great on the 1G CVCC cars!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_ED3)

dude. you've got to drop it on some Rota RB's with the 25 offset. it'd look sick if you could get enough camber. black centers, polished lip.. with some flares.. oh yeah, i'm feelin it OLD SCHOOL.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bakeoff)

I am going the D-series route in my 81 myself. I have my DOHC ZC. I have decided to keep it carb'ed.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bee18)

Im selling the car again. I cant warrant owning another car at the moment.

CRX Forum
Old 08-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxforum)

Car is now sold

CRX Forum