Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Our third CRX needs four windows replaced

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our third CRX needs four windows replaced

Hello, mighty Honda experts! I have a strange situation that hopefully someone can help me with.

In brief, how would one go about replacing the side glass on a 1986 CRX, not the window part which can be rolled down, but the little triangle behind it. How about the rear windshield, too? I'd ask about the driver's side window, but we did a passenger-side one on our '89 and it's probably much the same.

'Your '89,' you say. 'What are you doing with more than one?' 'I am the luckiest woman ever,' I would respond to that.

My fiance is an engineer and therefore different from most humans, I'll say that first. A few years ago, he bought and restored a 1987 CRX, probably because it was a red one, only $300 non-running, and the job he had then left him with Too Much Free Time.

Giving engineers free time in a junkyard is like giving women gold cards in a shoe store -foolish and very dangerous.

We liked the little '87 ('Sophie Fatale,') so much we later bought a 1989 CRX DX ('Velma Kelly,') and restored it, too. He has an account here, 'okmjui2000,' probably due to the fact that it took us eight months and four consecutive bad distributors to get the poor thing running. Oh, and I insist that any car which sips like a lady and drives like a tramp should have an appropriately inspired name. I'm a girl, we're like that sometimes.

Today, we went out and bought our third CRX, this one an '86. Our first two are still daily drivers (although my fiance, being an incredibly nice guy, leased the '89 to my folks 'cause their Dodge Cow-van was wreaking havoc with gas prices,) and our insurance agent will probably summon the men in white coats when we tell him 'another red CRX on the policy, please.'

Actually obtaining the replacement glass shouldn't be too difficult for us -due to the hijinks restoring the past two cars, we not only know the location of all the local junkyards, but the location of every dead CRX WITHIN said junkyards. 'How to get the glass out' would be great to know. I was thinking 'peel off rubber gasketty-bits, soak the glue with nail-polish remover, allow to dissolve, and gently lift coveted glass part out.' My fiance was suggesting 'bring the putty knife and the crowbar.' Are either of us right, and if so, who wins?

This '86 is in far better shape than we could've hoped. It's been garage-kept, is rust-free and hasn't the slightest thing wrong mechanically, apart from a bit of dust. The windows were smashed in a break-in/vandalism sort of event, and they're apparently the only thing wrong with an otherwise almost stock cherry car. The plan had been to flip it to someone with a long commute due to the 50 mpg highway stats, but I think we may have a new baby for the stable of Little Red Hatchbacks.

Could someone offer any advice on this? Also, what should we call this one?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Our third CRX needs four windows replaced (jannieninecats)

for that glass removal, i use a method very similar to this:

http://www.buickperformance.com/glassremove.htm

I'm no professional glass guy though.

Do you have any pictures of your cars to share?