Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

need advice on weber carb for 85 civic

Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need advice on weber carb for 85 civic

hi, I got a weber carb kit from a friend who previously used it in his carbed crx, but i am having a lot of difficulty finding out more information on it.

I thought it was going to be the popular weber 32/36 but instead it is labeled "32ADFA 12." it has an electric choke and something else on the front side that has a wire input but i have no idea what it is and what wire should go to it.

I also would like some tips on adjusting the fuel on it.

when i do install this in my car I can hook up a wideband O2 sensor to tune it, so any tips on what AFR it should be at idle/WOT would be really swell.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: need advice on weber carb for 85 civic

google Pierce Manifolds
Old 10-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: need advice on weber carb for 85 civic

Alright I did look through the pierce manifolds site, and did learn a little bit, and now I have some pictures with labeled parts A-H and I was hoping someone could tell me if I have the adjustment and other parts correct or not:

A - vacuum adjust dashpot for choke?
B - Idle speed adjustment
C - Idle air mix adjustment
D - Choke release point?
E - +12V ignition power (choke)
F - not changed?
G - Cut off Solenoid (when car shuts off) +12v ignition power?
H - fuel adjust to jets??

Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything, or tell me what not to adjust. thanks!

-Aaron

http://img7.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pict0001xs.jpg
Attached Images      
Old 10-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right on everything except:

D. High Idle Adjust (I.E. idle speed when the choke is engaged (1500-2500rpm)
F. Primary Idle mixture jet holder. Unscrew this guy and there will be a jet inside of it when you pull it out. About 95% sure on this one.
H. Air Corrector Jets, these are for "fine tuning" the mixture after you've got the jetting as close as you can get. 3 sizes bigger on the air corrector jets is equivalent to 1 size smaller on the idle/main jets I believe.

Your main jets should be down in the bottom of the float bowl after you take the top hat off. Your AFRs should be set to wherever the car runs best at idle. Don't pay too much attention to your O2 sensors and other stuff when adjusting your idle. I'd take a look at the "lean best idle" guide that Weber has out. It's for adjusting the 32/36DGV but the same principles should mostly apply to this carb. It will be slightly lean, and that's just fine at idle. Go more off how it sounds though.

For your top end tuning, you can use the O2 sensor if you want. Always good to have to be safe. Same AFRs as though it was fuel injected is what you're going for, slightly rich at WOT around 13.5 - 14 should be plenty safe. Remember idle mixture / idle jets affect the running on most Webers up to about 3000RPM, and that's where the main jets typically kick in.

That's sort of a weird carb. I think it's more for emissions as a factory carb than it is for a performance model. Seems pretty tiny, but if it ran good for your friend, that's cool. Let us know how it works.

Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 10-19-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, thanks for the great response! i will follow up on this when i get it installed.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright i am bringing this back from the dead as i am finally installing the carb in my 85 civic 4-dr.

i got it all installed, and made some brackets and block-off plates, and tried starting the car and all i got was a bunch of gas at the base of the carb. all the fuel lines are nice and tight.

I think the fuel is coming from the vertical bar to the right of the label "F' but am not sure as I am not watching it while cranking.

If anyone wants new pics of it in the car let me know and I'll post them.

Thanks for the advise, Aaron.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

time for re-jetting, i fixed the gas leaking problem, it was a matter of not hooking up the fuel lines correctly.

I started another thread to try and get help with the hose situation but did not get much help.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/need-help-carburetor-2793324/

Anyway, now I need help figuring out what size jets to use since the best idle I have is at 3-3500 RPMs.

in case you haven't figured out, This is my first carb and after rebuilding it I understand it a lot more, but the jetting is still up in the air, so if you have done jetting on any of these webers some input would be great.

all of the jets have the same part numbers as the DGEV carb, which will make it easier to find jets. and from my little bit of googling I have come up with a list of jet sizes for each type and I'll list the ones I have now:

Main Jets: [140,125], {090-220 available}
Idle Jets: [50,60], {040-070 available}
Air correction Jets: [185,170], {145-220 available}

given my current idle speed, any recommendations to start with? each jet will probably be at least $5 so I'd like to buy as few as possible.