Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

my new 87crx si is here, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new 87crx si is here, a few questions

Hey Guys:

The car arrived Saturday morning, spent the day messing with it. Removed hacker-installed aftermarket cruise control, replaced 6 missing fuses, car fired right up after sitting for more than 4 years, brakes and brake lines are fine, took it for a ride, ran great! My brother in law missed some rust when he looked at it for me, but I am 90% sure it's not going to be a problem. I'm a great welder and can fab steel - this aint my first resto! But, I'll describe the rust: The 4 corners of the passenger compartment floor, just in front of the rear suspension area, and just behind the front suspension area. This is typical for this car. It is nowhere near the actual mount points for the suspension, all holes about the size of my thumb, which tells me once I remove all questionable metal the hole will be about the size of the shifter ball. Also, the rear sunroof drains were not connected, of course, which made the spare tire well wet, so there is some rot there. Just the floor pan, but very near the cross brace between the back wheels. That u-channel cross brace may have a little degradation on the rearward most face, but not much - may just be surface. Otherwise, just very minor cosmetic wheel arch rust on the rear.
Idled fast, vac leak, brake booster is leaking. I disconnected and plugged that, it now runs and idles great. Alternator makes noise, no big deal.
It has dealer installed AC. I am indifferent about this, but my wife wants it to work. Does anyone have the installation sheet on this? There are a lot of things disconnected on this, would make that job easier.
Interior is dirty but complete, will need a carpet, aftermarket is fine, but the rear area carpet is intricate - who knows a good source for this? Also, seats need new skins, or perfect-fitting covers - source for this as well? Last (for now) it is missing a lot of those little screw-cover push caps - I'm guessing they have to be available. Please reply with any information, if you can. Thanks. Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my new 87crx si is here, a few questions

all the ac was dealer installed, fyi.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:46 AM

Yeah, I was told many years ago that the AC was dealer installed. Interesting concept, pretty good idea to have a stand alone system. My plan is to remove it for now, as I see that someone used one of those B.S. 134a retro kits on it, I will want to put it back to R12, so each component will need to be completely cleaned. But, I don't even know if all the parts are there - so - does anyone know where I might find an installation sheet / parts list so I can see what I'm working with?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...S+%28SANDEN%29