Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

My Bseries 87 Crx Si

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Bseries 87 Crx Si

I have been working on this car for the last year and the motor for the last 2 years. I have done everything but the machine work and a few of the wiring issues. Thanks to my buddys shop and tools we got it finished a few months ago and now it is broken in and I would like to share some pictures.
It is a b16 with a Gsr cyl. head. Stock head with mild porting. The block has eagle rods/crank with probe 81.5mm 11:1 pistons. Dyno coming next week; hoping for 155whp and around 110 ft/lbs torque. Let me know what you guys think(besides it needs a bath)

Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: My Bseries 87 Crx Si (allnaturalb16)

posted pics twice** oops
Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks fun man.

Have you gotten a chance to weigh her? Curious to see what the fuss is all about!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: My Bseries 87 Crx Si (efficiencyJunkie)

very nice car. what cams are u running?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by efficiencyJunkie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks fun man.

Have you gotten a chance to weigh her? Curious to see what the fuss is all about!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm guessing its about 2k lbs
Old 09-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: My Bseries 87 Crx Si (86si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 86si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very nice car. what cams are u running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have ITR camshafts but not to sure on what year. Also in the head are skunk2 springs and retainers.

Next I need a full 2.5" exhaust. My header collector is 2.5 but about after the doors there is still stock piping.

2100 lbs for an si
Old 09-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice.
i had no idea that si's were that heavy though.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM

hey how'd getting that B16 in there go? were the parts and instal easy? i want to do the same thing
Old 09-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow
Old 09-17-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: (NIKE SB'd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice.
i had no idea that si's were that heavy though.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks. They are not that heavy with the dseries motor. I bet I gained 150lbs with the b16 swap.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by insane-one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey how'd getting that B16 in there go? were the parts and instal easy? i want to do the same thing</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, but not not horrific. I wish i had a lift to show you the rear motor mount. I used all stock mounts besides the rear. That was the only welding involved, but hasport offers a mount kit. It is a very tight squeeze but worth it. Go GSR if you can. Thats all i regret; the torque. It is 81.5mm which might help but now I want more.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NIKE SB’d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks. A lot of blood and sweat went into making it fit nice. Next in line is a "fresh" paint job and new windshield.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allnaturalb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allnaturalb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thanks. They are not that heavy with the dseries motor. I bet I gained 150lbs with the b16 swap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, if you also gained like 75 lbs of FAT. 150lbs is what a d-series block weighs.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM

sweet... i plan on getting an 87? Si Rex ... needs body work for sure ... i wasnt sure about it because its older than me .... and after i fix it up would i be able to get sum power out of it ... thanks for the info
Old 09-17-2007, 09:03 PM

dopee. i got an 88 crx si =]
Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Re: (E-AT_me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-AT_me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, if you also gained like 75 lbs of FAT. 150lbs is what a d-series block weighs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well with a bseries block, head, and also a bigger transmission... maybe 45 pounds of fat. I have been drinking more beer lately!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice! Post up the dyno when you get it.
Love the wheels as well.

and you are right, NO TORQUE. it sucks. I should have gone B18X when i did it, but it was expensive enough 5 years ago for a B16
Old 09-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: (87sivtec)

Well I dont know if ya'll have seen my other posts in the TECH forum, but I lost reverse the other day and my car is down until i get the tranny fixed. this will porbably drain my whole exhaust and paint savings but at least i will have a fresh tranny. I am more concerned about reliability then looks but I will keep everyone posted on when I get my dyno after the tranny is back in. The looks will just have to wait...

Anyone interestedin buying the stock alloys wheels I pulled of of the car. They are those aluminum finish 14's with the circle holes in the wheel.
AWESOME condition with brand new yokohama h rated tires. they are 185/65/14.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You said that you used all stock motor mounts except for the rear one.

Can you please explain that? Did you use the D15a3 mounts from the 87 SI motor somehow? Did you need to weld in new supports on the body for the engine side (driver) mount or pass side tranny mount?

I have an 87 CRX-Si racecar and a B18c1 AND a B16A jdm vtec like yours and will be putting this in during the upcoming winter and really, really don't want to spend the money on the hasport stuff. I can weld the rear mount.

Also Axles.....what did you use?

I'd really appreciate any input. Looks like you did a nice job.

jack
Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Bseries 87 Crx Si (Jack ffr1846)

Oh....and if you by any chance have a bunch of pictures of each mount in the car that you could post, that would be really helpful to me.

thanks again, jack
Old 09-20-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Re: My Bseries 87 Crx Si (Jack ffr1846)

yeah my car is down right now. i am getting the transmission rebuilt. as soon as i can i will get you some shots of the mounts.
i used the stock b series mounts and had 14 gauge(i believe) steel bent and welded to the chasis to accomodate the stock mounts on the right left and front. The front mount i lowered an inch or two to get the motor to sit right where the hood did not hit it. The rear mount was fabbed by a local shop it is just square steel tubes welded to make a block and that in turn bolts to another steel plate they welded straight to the chasis/cross memeber.

i dont know if any stock axles just fit in. redpepperracing.com would have that answer but i have a guy in my neighborhood that has a few old school hondas and he has a b16 1st gen crx and i got my axles from him in exchange for some bmw headers.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!

Now, I've heard both ways. Hasport uses the AC/ps bracket holes and stock body mount but I like the idea of using B series mounts. Welding up a couple brackets should not be a problem.

jack
Old 09-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice car.. good work on the motor!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice!

What have you done with the suspension? All that extra weight up front must make a difference.

Did you relocate the battery to make the engine fit?

What brakes are your using? What size wheels and tires?

Scott
Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Re: (cbstd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by burke420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice car.. good work on the motor!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thank You. I wish things were better so I can go get a few pulls on the dyno!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbstd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very nice!

What have you done with the suspension? All that extra weight up front must make a difference.

Did you relocate the battery to make the engine fit?

What brakes are your using? What size wheels and tires?

Scott
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought 27.5mm Upgrade Motoring torsion bars with Tokico illuminas up front and in the back I have oem replacement struts with eibach lowering springs. The weight did make a big difference. The weight cost me an extra header and new oil pan!! I bought a motorcycle battery with a good cold crank rating and customized a harness for it (still up front). Stock brakes, but I want some good Hawk pads and maybe disc conversion in the rear. Wheels are 13's and tires are 205/65

I cant wait to get the tranny back so I can wash it and show some in depth Pictures of the motor mounts, interior, and suspension.
Then hopefully scan some whp graphs.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disks in the rear are a waste of time. The stock cars are nose heavy (with the front brakes doing nearly all the work) so your B series is extra nose heavy. Basically, your rear brakes do not contribute much stopping power.

The weird thing is, rear disks from an Integra are heavier than the iron drums that come stock and Honda never sold the 1st Gen with rear disks,even in Japan or Europe with the D16 ZC. Aluminun drums from the HF model is the racer's secret perfromance trick.

I highly recommedn bolting is some '86-89 Integra front rotors and calipers. If you are seriious about going fast, you need serious friction materiel... got staight to Porterfield pads up front.

The 27.5 torsion bars require some massie rear springs, guys with your front t bars are using 500lbs. rear springs. Regardless of whatever rear springs you use, you NEED a rear sway bar. Addco is better than Suspension Techniques.

Scott

PS- post your car over in http://www.redpepperracing.com and check out the http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com
Old 10-01-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: (cbstd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbstd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The weird thing is, rear disks from an Integra are heavier than the iron drums that come stock and Honda never sold the 1st Gen with rear disks,even in Japan or Europe with the D16 ZC. Aluminun drums from the HF model is the racer's secret perfromance trick.

I highly recommedn bolting is some '86-89 Integra front rotors and calipers. If you are seriious about going fast, you need serious friction materiel... got staight to Porterfield pads up front.

The 27.5 torsion bars require some massie rear springs, guys with your front t bars are using 500lbs. rear springs. Regardless of whatever rear springs you use, you NEED a rear sway bar. Addco is better than Suspension Techniques.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info on the brakes. I will most certainly consider.
I do have a rear sway bar and it is Suspension Techniques. It does hold its own.

Never heard of porterfield pads?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you ARE REALLY serious about brakes you need to run the 89-91 Si/ 92+DX calipers. they have the same size as stock Si brake pistons, unlike the ones for the 86-89 teg, which have larger pistons which means you'd have to push more fluid. HAHA!

Quick Reply: My Bseries 87 Crx Si