Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

My 78 Civic CVCC

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My 78 Civic CVCC

It's been a while since I've posted any updates.
I drove the car out to the 2013 Carlisle Import Show and back without any issues.
It kept up with traffic. I resisted the urge to go full throttle as I'm still breaking in the rebuilt engine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42230123@N08/8831956920/
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bob,

Looking sharp!! Any pic's of the show?

thesmogman
Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was a very bad year for Honda turnout so didn't many photos.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great project and great results. So good to see some of these old CVCCs kept up and running.

Bought my first Honda Civic in 1975. It was an orange CVCC hatchback, manual. The only thing that I did to it was change from the little tiny bias ply tires that came on it... and stuck a wider set of Michelins that made this car a fun performer. I also painted the steel wheels black and put the aluminum trim rings on them.

It initially had a bad habit of shutting off in heavy rain. Would have to pull over and wait for the engine heat to dry the distributor. Within 5 minutes or so, I could fire it back up and drive off again. Eventually got that fixed.

I was in the Air Force at the time and lived in Fort Walton Beach. Purchased the Civic in Pensacola. In a few months I shipped it to Germany, where it was a blast to drive. Bought snow tires for it over there and it became a great ski car. It was unstoppable in the snow. We drove that car all over the Alps. Sold it over there before returning to the States in 1980. Wish I still had it.

One of these days I'll have to digitize some slides I have of the car and stick them on this forum. I've owned 4 Honda Civics since that time... and still have a pristine black '93 Civic Coupe EX-O with the tan interior. It's a sunny day car. Always has been.

Keep up the good work. You have a super nice CVCC.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Trial User

Hey bob78cvcc, I a CVCC but i don't have any idea where to fine parts for it. like the dash board, door panels, seats etc... can you help me out here?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by paco1
Hey bob78cvcc, I a CVCC but i don't have any idea where to fine parts for it. like the dash board, door panels, seats etc... can you help me out here?
Ebay, craigslist and forums like 1stgencivic are your best bet.
What year is your CVCC?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These things are cute man. Like the old beetles. The one thing I have noticed is that classic Hondas, well imports in general, don't have a lot of following. Like classic muscle is very popular. Classic trucks are everywhere. Antique VWs are hot. You don't see a lot of people say, "Dang. I remember my CVCC!" haha. Not that people don't. I think they are cool as all get out. My local Honda dealership has one in the show room. Mint like the day it was made. Big *** "DONT TOUCH THIS" sign on it though.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
These things are cute man. Like the old beetles. The one thing I have noticed is that classic Hondas, well imports in general, don't have a lot of following. Like classic muscle is very popular. Classic trucks are everywhere. Antique VWs are hot. You don't see a lot of people say, "Dang. I remember my CVCC!" haha. Not that people don't. I think they are cool as all get out. My local Honda dealership has one in the show room. Mint like the day it was made. Big *** "DONT TOUCH THIS" sign on it though.
These were meant to be disposable econo boxes.
They ended up as affordable, reliable, fun to drive little cars that wouldn't die.
My car gets lots of happy stories and smiles at car shows but will never win a trophy when surrounded by American muscle and classics. I'll keep taking the smiles.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Trophies just collect dust! they are useless

I enjoy the stories and the smiles. It is great to just stand back at the shows and watch the bored people walking by and then they see the little car and get a big'ol smile. Sure some laugh but that is cool with me too.

The little kids also love to see the little cars....Mommy mommy, look at the little car. Put's a smile on my face all the time.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
You don't see a lot of people say, "Dang. I remember my CVCC!"
Where are you located, dude? I can't tell how many times I've people of all ages tell me they remember these cars. Old people tell me about this being the first car they owned when they got married. A bit younger folks tell me how they remember their parents having one when they were little and riding in the back seat. I hear it all the time about people remembering these cars.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice classic!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's hot! I love those stripes so much!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bob78cvcc
These were meant to be disposable econo boxes.
They ended up as affordable, reliable, fun to drive little cars that wouldn't die.
My car gets lots of happy stories and smiles at car shows but will never win a trophy when surrounded by American muscle and classics. I'll keep taking the smiles.
Hope your CVCC is still running strong and kept way away from road salt. That was the real killer of these cars. I know a young Honda guy here in Maine who found a rough white CVCC. He's planning to restore and most likely stick a modern Honda engine in it. It's going to take some work, but I'm pretty sure he'll get it done.

Anyone who owned and drove these little Hondas back in the 70's would definitely remember how much fun they were on the road. I had the chance to drive an original Mini when I was over in Europe while I owned our CVCC and I found the Honda pretty close to the same fun behind the wheel as the Mini. Really hope that anyone that owned a CVCC dumped the tiny bias ply tires as soon as they wore out and stuck some radials on it. I only waited about 3 weeks. I think I put a set of Michelin "X" in 155 width tires (looked really wide compared to the OEM bias ply set) on the 13 wheels, but I can't remember what the sidewall ratio was. The radials completely changed the car for the good. Too bad Honda no longer does small Civics. They were great drivers.

Post an update on your CVCC if you get a chance.