Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

My 1986 CRX running really rich and only getting 25 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1986 CRX running really rich and only getting 25 MPG

Okay I just got my CRX from my grandmother which hadn't been driven in like 8 years. It is a 1986 Honda Civic CRX DX. It is carburated and it's the 1.5L. It has a little hard time starting and when it starts, it smells like fuel a lot. I had the carb rebuilt but the problem is still there. Just to let you know the CRX is in great shape I'd say almost new. It only has 37,000 miles on it so I beleive it's worth keeping and trying to fix just because of the sentimental value it has to me. I will post pictures if you guys would like to see it. Well I hope you guys have something for me so I could try to fix it. I want this car to be my daily driver. I took it to the dealership and all they wanted to do was buy it from me and they didn't even want to touch it so I'm stuck.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post pics!!!
Did you have the carb rebuilt and tuned?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outlawracer1
I took it to the dealership
That was your first mistake. But it is OK, you can recover.

First off, congratualtions on getting your hands on a true classic. As you have figured out by now, the old school CRX is different from the Hondas you are used to. Don't worry, all the parts you need to keep this old car running are easily avialable from most parts stores plus the dealers.

Second, you have to go over to www.redpepperracing.com. This site is totally devoted to the 1st Gen CRX and the 3rd Gen Civic which are essentially the same car under the skin. Also similar in many ways is the 1st Gen Integra.

Are you sure it is a rich condition? Have you pulled a plug and seen that it is black (rich)? You smell gas, are the fuel lines OK? Is the fuel filter fresh? Have you checked the cam timing? Old timing belts will slip and throw off the cam timing. Old belts will also break so you should consider putting on a new cam belt and water pump (it lives in the same part of the engine and should be changed with the belt).

Finally, you should decide if you want to modfiy this old car or keep it as a "time capsule" of Back in the Day. Either choice is OK with me.... but if you have a truly untouched Honda from 20+ years ago you may want to consider keeping it as stock as possible for future value considerations. Not that you will ever get rich off of this old car, but it is VERY cool to see the old cars that are still in their original condition.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you over at www.redpepperracing.com

Scott
Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay here are some pictures just to show you guys what condition the car is in. Like I said almost new.......

Last edited by outlawracer1; 12-09-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: wrong pictures
Old 12-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civhatch90
Post pics!!!
Did you have the carb rebuilt and tuned?
Yes I did the timing belt, water pump all the drive belts, and the battery. Oil change of course and the fuel pump filter, also air filter. It still has the original tires it came with though. And they are still in pretty good condition.