Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

My 1978 honda civic restore/upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1978 honda civic restore/upgrade

So this is a direct repost from my mightycarmods forum post as its a lot ..... a lot of pics to repost and rewrite but all and all its still good to read a lot of ideas have changed over the year since ive had this sexy beast but it happens when you're restoring a car so this is my story

So lady's and gentlemen I present to you my 1978 honda civic

well I wanted a project car that i had no idea about i wanted something fun to drive something old school something that you never really see round any more so i thought to myself "hey why not a civic" and i found one, that one, i almost didnt get it twice as i lost the guys number and then i didnt have the money for it any more but tax rolled around and I bought this sexy beast off ebay over the weekend all the way in ipswich :/ i swear i almost died twice getting there haha, So there is alot of surface rust and a few little rust bubbles here and there nothing to really worry about but it is in the areas that it is in is a pain in the **** so over the next few weeks in my spare time after work im going to be doing ALOT of sanding, priming and filling and lets hope i dont have to weld anything in it ha!

So far the little list i have made to be done before i get a RWC is the following
  • fix rust
  • service engine
  • replace all liquid with new flashy stuff
  • if needed upgrade bushes and suspension
  • new carpet

After I get all that done its time for a RWC to see if the boss man can find anything else that would need to be replaced or fixed up.
so this build is going to take some time but time is all I have after work when its all RWC and registered its time to strip it all back and start painting, im not 100 % sure on what colour but i have been told by the Mrs that I should paint it a deeper blue.

Any and all help on this project will be greatly useful, so now I leave you with the damage haha this is all the rust I can see that needs to be fixed :S I just hope that is all there is.

i dont like the looks of that one.

Lucky for me the guy I bought it from had cut and welded all the nasty rust out so thats a bonus for me, I will try and update as much as I can but im doing all this from a iphone so yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh I i dont get much time on the interweb.

sorry guys didnt get an email saying someone had posted :/ well any ways kinda a progress update i guess haha, today i took all the shitty old carpet out it smelled so bad and was dusty as so thats gone, took all the door cards, side cards and plastic/rubber pannels no pics of that cause .... everyone has seen them before ha.
I i have taken some before photos so here you guys go.

i also got some quotes on paints, for 4l of white 2pack ive been quoted about 225$ with hardener and another shop wanted $350 just for 3L of white .... that was it no hardener or anything .... this shop was also the only shop i know that sells the thermo paint and he couldnt give me a quote over the phone .... so i might try and get some online if possible.

now i'll try and post updates at least once a week as im using my mobile internet
thanks again guy for the support.

EMERGED ERPDATES

alright guys so after not having internet on my phone for a bit I can now show you some updates haha

So after we moved the car it looked like this

and then we hadto take the windsheild out to have a look for rust under the rubber and for when we get started in stripping and primers ..... then this happened

I wasnt too imspressed and either was the mad scientest but hey **** happens but after we pulled it out we found this

I was starting to delaminate so now im not so must pissed just disapointed but hey .... **** happens

so then we get to this point

after i took that photo we realised that the person before me had only sealed the top section of the windshield .....

so now i'll just put these here

so thats all the damage we found under the rubber and on the roof ... not much but it'll be fixed for sure, So after having a 10min coffee we thought it would be a good idea to strip the roof and start sanding it down

paint stripper is under the bubble wrap and god damn it stinks

so after that we called it a night, i went back home and over the weekend i grabed some more stuff.

well wednesday rolls around and its time for some sanding, we knew this was going to happen but it all needed sanding back anyways

after sanding it down to the metal and looking for didnts we had only found one (woot) we have it a hit with rust converter as it was time to go home

we did find a hole in the roof and we suspect there to be another in that channel as it it filled with bog

so we called it a night and then started this the next day MWUAHAHA!

after masking it up and sanding the roof down one last time it was time for primer and god damn does the roof look sexy with primer on it haha

so now this is what i am up to now, next week we should be starting on the back half of the civic and should have it in primer the week after.

and in other news the s-series badge that is on the civic does infact belong on a 2006 swift as i saw ANOTHER one with it on and one with a z-series badge with the same design soooooooo into the bin it went hahah.

also thanks guys for all the coments

HERPDATES

So over the last two days ive worked on the car it was really just stripping her down as im taking all the **** to work to get sandblasted and some even powder coated

it looks so naked now but after that we took all the glass out and rubbers

this side has a bit of rust but its really nothing

parts going to work

also after taking the tail lights off i found out they had glued them down and took a chunck of bog off ..... to what i found is this

not really happy .....

i also took the mirros off

they shall be sanded back and welded over as im thinking of putting some crome mirros back on the front quarters but what i thought was just a rubber spacers was infact a bike tube haha

after all that wehad a look around the car to see what we could find and we found this .... a patch welded right over the rust ....FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

but after that i thought now would be a awesome time to wrap the back in carbon finber

LOL JOKES ITS PAINT STRIPPER

but no really im pissed there is 10 layers of paint and primer over the original crappy yellow .....

it took two thick as coats of paint stripper and a paint scraper over an hour to get to that point ...... but next week we are going to be working on the back and the other side of the car
the doors and hatch are also going to work .... we just forgot to take them off hahaha
Old 07-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 1978 honda civic restore/upgrade

ಠ_ಠ
well well well guys i ran out of intenret again haha so now i havelike 3 weeks worth of updates ready to rock and roll so to start off anything that could come off the car came off and this is the damage ಠ_ಠ

thats just the back hatch ..... but what we thought looked ok on the other doors and quarter pannels turned out to be something else which i will post later on

so now for the rust repair O_O, we found this under a shitload of bog and we got so angry this was done in only 30mins

boom done and mighty fine too and this side will be done as well

So a week later i got stuck into more stripping and rust finding

so after all that bloody stripping it was time to drill out the spot weldsholding the water channel in place and good thing we did too haha

and then OH GOD HOURS OF HAND SANDING

so ladies and gents i leave you with this as i am now upto date and hope to have the whole left hand side in primer this week and ready to start the other side

thanks for all the comments guys

oh forgot MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

well well well well where the hell do i begin ...... its been a few busy weeks with work and the car but i finally have a update for you guys im also trying to find a better website to upload the photos too as facebook is giving me dead links now ...... so im going to try and fix this asap but its going to be a pain as ive already forgoten what photos i have already posted haha but enough rambling time for some updates

so as time goes on you forget to take photos haha but half way through welding the other rust hole in the left hand side rear window i took a photo

and when it was finished

then it was time to bog it up

now while i was sanding paint off, the mad scientist cut out the rust patch in the rear tail light

its pretty nasty .... just boged right over it

but after that the mad scientist rolled the rear gaurd for me while i was still ...... sanding

then we boged her up again as there was a few dints and so on

and this was what in was sanding by hand for a few days

then i hit it with rust converter just to be safe

and while i was working on this the mad scientest was busy working on the back

now its this week and this was the before photo of the back

and this is it now

man i love paint stripper haha, and again while i was working on this the mad scientist was working on the left hand water channel

it is now safe to say there is noooooo more rust under there anymore WOOT!

and with the best possible photo i could take this is where i got up too tonight

.... now i would of had it down to metal tonight but i left the stripper on there too long while i was sanding something else and it harden it self on and made it a pain in the **** to remove ..... it took another two atempts to get it like that ........

well anyways guys this is now up to date and ill take a better photo of the other side next week also the plan for next week is the bust out the orbies and elbow grease and get all the blue paint off and then cleaning out the car sanding it all back down with 120/240 and primering it i go on holidays in 4 weeks so it hasto be in primer before then ಠ_ಠ

thanks again guys for your comments everydays bring a closer step towards the finish line

not much happened this week as i stacked it pretty bad at work but we just did some bogging of grounded down weld patches and dents

and for those of you who wonder what i did i fell off a forklift into a steel bin :/ and did this

not bad though haha

ill be going into turbo mode next week as by thursday i have to have the car down to metal, all bogged up, cleaned out and ready for primer

thanks again guys

learning how to mig weld was fun i myself need one haha.

alrighty then people :D update time, So a week after i stacked it we went into turbo mode with sanding bogging and even more sanding so we could have it in primer this week but family stuff came into place the day we were going to primer so we just got super busy making sure everything was fixed and patched up, sanded back and cleaned up ready for next week cant wait.

So while I was sanding away at the water channle making sure all the bog was nice and smooth TMS was busy working on the rear quarter pannle rolling and bogging

he did a damn fine job too.
then it came to the welding of the other water channle

so while he was away welding that i was on the other end of the car cleaning this up and getting it ready for bog

while he was welding he filled in the holes from the radio cables

now we get to the grinding and sanding part again while i was grinding away at the welds TMS was sanding down the car ready for primer now i didnt take any photos of this but i did take photos of all the patching after it was done

after we had finished this we gave the car a blow down and i cleaned it out .... a whole garbage bag full and crap hahah and this is how she stands now waiting for wednesday night.

now if all goes to plan thuresday night is going to be a big move haha got to pick up my car parts from work then pick up my car and take it back home then drive for an hour and a half and pick up another civic for $50 hahaha and take it back home, i go on holidays for 3 weeks this week so i should be able to put a massive dent in the civic all ready for paint.

thanks for commenting guys always a boster when reading positive feed back
Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Last day of work tomorrow and ive got to be up at 4am so im just going to leave these here

STAHP ..... PRIMER TIME!

a massive thank you to TMS for primering he did a bloody awesome job for his first time on a whole car haha, Ill try and take some better photos tomorrow as its the big move civic comes back home and i pick up a spare parts car, thanks again for all your coments guys

Home time

yes it is getting better :D

well as it is getting closer to xmas i'll be taking the week off from working on the car and spending time on family and shiz but as for the lastupdate the civic is now at my house with the shell in primer, i also picked up a 1974 honda civic that i will now say NEVER AGAIN! holycrap it was a mission, i didnt get anything off of it that i really wanted but what i did get was roof racks, a spare wheel, rear window vizier thing, some badges, the rocket cover and some glass ....... 99% of the car was not usable but i did get 100$ for it haha so at the end if the day i still kinda came out ontop but i now present to you the 74 honda civic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfwTRaotCIA&feature=youtu.be
Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD2Z3a5yrSg&feature=youtu.be i also will post photos of the stuff i grabbed when i get back home
Old 07-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well well well guys im back from my mini holiday with in a holiday ..... holiseption <.< but now its back to work on the civic and with out further delay.

UPDATE TIIIIIIIMMMMMMMEEEE!

So on the last day of work i took my car parts home but the sad thing was while waiting for my mate to come get me it started to rain and my freshly sandblasted parts got wet and started to rust ...... but no biggy ive got this **** down pat haha

so i started with the easiest of parts, the front quarter panels

just look at that rust
but after a buzz with my new orby it looked like this

then i gave it a good old wax n grease remover and a rust converter and it look like this

now that that is done it time for bogging but the lid on the bog tin got left open and it kinda dried out so it was a pain in the **** to use :/

but i managed and then i found another tin with 1/4 left in it haha i was over the moon so i sanded it back down a little more and rebogged

now for the fun part haha

1 down 1 to go

just pretend you didn't see the one behind it <.< this wasn't the first pic i took haha

now for the other side the one with the holes

^ pin holes ..... lots ^

then it was a buzz, wax n grease and rust converter

now i don't have access to a welder and only being a panel i used fibreglass to making a backing for the bog .... now i don't really like the idea of this my self but it is also better then what the person before me did ..... i also know it is there and if i ever sell it the person who buys it will also know but here are the photos

i do have to say it does look good , i also used the fibreglass res to fill in some pin holes on the inside of the panel but i didn't take a photo of that, but after a bog and sand it came out real nice

2 down woot

so after that it was time for lunch and then time to start the hatch

this needed a little TLC to look like this

the back of the hatch didn't really have any surface rust on it but the hole thing got rust converter on it
i would like to say sorry for the crappy phone photos ..... it started doing a funny and i couldn't rotate them for some reason

i don't know if you can see but there is a few holes in the channel looking thing but it doesn't really matter as a chrome strip goes over that but its still getting filled in

now i filled the back of this hole with fibreglass again .... it was a pain to get in that corner but i managed i also filled in all the pin holes with the resin as it was hardening and i made too much ..... and it worked

so while that was drying i had a visit from my next door neighbour and he was asking if i had any primer to see the highs and lows where the dints are ...... i didn't even think of that and i didn't have any primer per-say but i did have that spray putty primer stuff so when everything dried i gave it a hit and a sand

then after about two hours of hard work and no sand paper i got it looking like this

i am very happy with that haha, after i took the photo i found some rust divots on the other side of the hatch that will be seen so ill be fixing that tomorrow some time but that is all i got done today and i was buggered haha

now the sand thing is i have no sand paper left i had a massive black garbage bag full of it but i have a feeling my flat mate has throw it out without knowing and doesn't remember ..... there was a 60m roll in there ...... but **** happens, what i did do though and this thing is bloody awesome i got my hands on one of these awesome little things

and due to now having any sandpaper i did have belt sander belts left over from when i was making stuff with wood and it fits perfectly and i get at least two strips out of the one belt so that made stuff alot easier ... the belts also work better as they dont clog as much and giving it a good wack shakes all the dust off of it and it good to go again instead of replacing the sand paper every few mins i had the belts last at least 3 hours each, that hankook rubber thing i got from 2011 auto salon gold coast (i think) is awesome to prop parts with as its soft and doesn't move but thats all i got done today and tomorrow if not sunday i will be working on my two doors and the bumper support rails.

thanks again guys for all your comments

so today i wasnt going to work on the car but i got really bored so i thought i would fix up the front and rear bumper suppers

i sprayed one of them with putty primer as im going to be painting these guys BLAAAAAAAAACK to break up the white from the chrome should look MAAAAAD but again that'll have to wait until i go back to work to make the moneys

thanks again guys for all your comments makes working on this project alot funner

so here is a pic of one of them in primer ( didnt have enough to do the other )

i love it when stuff gets a coat of primer/paint you can really see its form but any ways on to the update

so today i started working on the doors and to my surprise the passenger side door was in pretty good nick .... besides the rust with only one dint to be found ...... but you never know until you give it a quick coat of primer and sand it back but that is for another day mean while here are the photos

sad i know but with a little TLC i got it to look like this

aaaaannnnnd thats how i left it as it was time to start on the dreaded drivers side door ...... oh how sad it is

sooooooo the driver side door is looking pretty bad and will most likely need welding but i am working on something that if work i'll only need to weld one patch not 3 ..... but we'll see

ok so after i gave the door a buzz i marked out the hole on the bottom left side of the door and cut it out so i could treat the rust behind it

after i treated the rust on the door and inside of it i filled the hole with as much fibreglass as i could ...... now if it doesnt work i'll take it back to work and sand blast it off haha and just weld a patch in but by the looks of it it looks quite nice and is pretty solid, i cant push the metal down all around the fibreglass so im pretty happy with it but still not what i really wanted to do

now as for all the holes in the middle of the bottom ... that will be getting welded as its too flimsy to just fibreglass up and i have a feeling i'll have to cut more metal out from the bottom of it

but so far this is where im up to, tomorrow i'll be bogging up the other door and getting it ready for primer and as for the driver side door i think it might have to wait another week of two for when i go back to work to make the moneys to buy sheet metal and welding gas for the mad scientist's mig
Old 07-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks mate its alot of fun and also a stress reliever but.....

SMALL UPDATE!

so it started to rain today here on the goldy so i popped into bunnings and bought these two things

at $11 each im just going to be testing these out and see how they go as im painting these

now for those of you who cant tell what they are, they are the front grill and the head light edging and the other black grill is the hood scoop grill, im going to be repainting these black for the epicness that it is.

well i thought i would start on one of the head light edgings giving everything but the chrome a nice sand down as i found these

poor girl has never been treated this good in her whole life i bet

so as it was raining and cold the primer took more then 3 hours to harden and after the 3rd coat i gave it a buff ready for the paint but it started flaking off so i have it a another sand and another coat of primer..... im going to leave it up and have a look tomorrow. if it doesn't like the metal as the WHOLE thing had been chromed im going to take them both into and and only sandblast the parts i want black to give the primer and paint something better to grab onto

other then that hickup the primer comes out really nice and shouldn't have a problem if i let it sit for 24hours but in other news im going to be looking for a air compressor this week or else i wont be primering the other parts of the car anytime soon

well im very happy to say the head light edge come out very very well, alot better then i thought it was going to be

last night after giving it a good sand i gave it one last coat of primer ..... kinda thick and let it sit over night and into the afternoon got home and checked it out and alot of the imperfections had gone, i could still see them but none the less gone so i gave it a nice coat of semi-gloss black 3 light coats followed by on last coat after 15mins, after letting it sit for about 4 hours this is what it looks like now and im very impressed with the product itself.

i shall get plastic primer tomorrow and get stuck into the other side and the grills while i looks for a air compressor, my next update might not be for about a week or two but i'll make sure i have loads of pics

UPDATE TIME!
well kinda lol, so the driver side door has been sent off to get welded up and i should have it back next monday <.< they ran out of steel but eh not in a real rush.

I did in fact get some more painting done but im not happy with it

i dont know what has happen but between primer and paint something has gotten in-between and has made it bubble :/ so i sanded it down and tried again with out primer just paint

the second i put paint on it it started to bubble again .... i had the biggest rage ever lol so i sanded it back down to bare metal and gave it another coat of primer

now the primer came out sexy has and i thought to my self " YES ITS WORKED" but then when i added the paint it bubbled again ...... at this point i raged too much and thought "**** it im taking them to work" Im going to see if i can get them sandblasted and poweder coated with a powder that matches as the plastic grill is going the same colour black ....... but any ways on a different day i got given $100 gift card for supercheap auto from mah dad so i rang them up and they have the rear brake slave cylinder for the drums :O for $30!!!!!!!! and the shoes and drums!!!!!!!!!!! all up its going to cost me $180 for brand new rear drums hahaha i was over the moon but they will have to wait for a few more weeks but after that i had a look at the right hand rear drum .... the one that is leaking all the brake fluid ......

its nasty as andlooks like someone had just throw dirt and oil in there ...... i tryed to clean it up a little to have a better look but no luck..

well anyways i have got my self a air compressor annnnnnnnnd i also broke it the day i got it ........ i have parts coming in from china and MERICA! cause it was cheaper to get it online then it was at the shops ......

so this is where i am now and once the door comes back i'll be in over drive to get the doors and panels in primer

well yesterday i look my head light SHROUDS! not guards .... derp! to work and i was going to get them sandblasted but turns out it would of done more damage then good to the chrome i wanted to keep so i had to sand it by hand after it got stripped of all its paint and what ever was making it bubble

and there they sit getting preheated to make sure none of the chrome is going to flake off in the heat under the paint that is going on.

then i had the joy of covering the chrome strip i wanted to keep ...... god damn i hate that tape after its been in the ovan

PAINT! .... Well powder

and here they are finished with a crappy close up

then i wrapped them in foam where they will stay in my room in a safe place intill the day comes that i'll put them back on the car

sorry for the crappy photos my phone kinda pooped itself and i could only use the front camera ....... the powder coat worked alot better then the wet paint and without the bloody bubbles ..... in other news i should be getting the door back next week as well as my air compressor parts

thanks for all the comments guys.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks mate , its no mini but its still a awesome car haha

UPDATE!

Well well well people its update time so much stuff came in and some of it pissed me off but let me start

so after about a 1 month wait i got the compressor parts

man it was so much cheaper getting these off ebay then at the local shops .... almost $80 cheaper but with cheaper product you get cheap products...... the compressor switch has a crack in it and leaks air >.< but its not a big problem .......yeeeeet

but this is the reason why i had to replace **** .....

and this is what it looked like when i put it together and then found out that it had a leak .....

but i got the best news of all time

my rear slave cylinder on the left is leaking something crazy

i could not find a second hand one and no one wanted to touch it to fix it for me because it was so old, i almost had to get one from japan that would of cost me a arm and a leg but then my dad and his wife gave me $100 for super cheapauto and i thought i'd ask them .....THEY HAD THEM for $30, god i was over the moon

and then the guy asked if i wanted the break shoes...... well damn right i said yess $40!

and on that good news i got my door back all welded up

then came the grinding ........

after that i gave it a buzz of and hit it with some rust converter as its been raining cats and dogs for like 3 weeks

this is where i am at now (thank you room mate for that finger) its still raining and i cant bog or sand inside so when the sun comes out i'll be in full swing

thanks for all the comments guys

ps: my grandad paid for this while i was at supercheap

small update tonight guys.

well the other night we had maybe half a day of sun so when i got home i started to do some bogging

now i know what you're all thinking "Sean that looks like ****" yep it looks like **** for a reason it started to rain while i was outside :/ i cant work inside due to new born puppies but it is also only a filler the next layer should make it smooth as bawls

tomorrow i'll be getting some sanding disc as i ran out >.< but in other news i went and got this.

nothing is missing and this is going to be the new paint booth haha and it was free so i aint complaining.

i also picked up some spray bottles for wax and grease remover, rust converter, metho and water

well tomorrow i'll be hitting the driver side door pretty hard as ive got a new goal to have at least the black painted by Easter weekend

thanks again guys for all the comments and views almost hit 10k, its a massive motivational booster seeing all these people interested in my **** brick haha

forgot this photo :S

so today i got stuck into my drivers side door, its not finished yet as it started to **** down with rain but while i was out side i had this **** hanging over me

but other then the weather i got some cheap air gear just to get started

well now onto the door :O

i gave the bog a good sand with some 80grit to see what i was dealing with

i'll let most of the pics do the talking

second layers

gave it a quick spray and let it dry then gave it a quick sand back to get it semi level

after that i gave it another spray and another sand down

Old 07-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIT 2 hours of bogging and i got it to a point that im fine with .... i could get it looking better and more smooth but after working with what i had and the filler i have left im just going to leave it as is and work on the smaller dents on my two doors ....... thank god there is only two hahah

so to start the arvo i got all my stuff out to start

i filled in more of this dent ... it seems i made another dent in the bog some how

i also started another thin layer thinking that it would smooth out the bumps .....oh was i wrong

after about 30mins of sanding it was all wavy and bumpy and **** ..... so i started again with a THICK layer

after about another hour and a bit of sanding i got it smooth as ***** ... still a little wavy but its the bottom of the door ....

smooooooth

a few pin holes here and there but i'll deal with them when it comes to primer

i would like to thank everyone who reads this and comments hit 10k today, it might not be a big number but being able to go to work and say " my build has 10k views" gets me more involved and just wanting to get home asap.

My next update might not be for a few weeks as ive got to save up some money for paint and more primer i want my next update to be a good one, thanks again guys.

alrighty guys its monday and i promised an update, its not what i wanted to update you guys on but i ran out of primer so here it goes

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

before i started to paint ANYthing i had to make a frame that i would be able to hang **** off

-
-

now you're probs thinking " wtf sean" well so did everyone else i was showing .... they had no idea
-

i then showed them this and they still kinda had an idea haha, i got 10 thinner box tubing to fit inside the bigger ones so i was able to store it away when im finished with it.

i did have to grind the ends down a little to make it fit better.
-
-

now it was time to set her up
-

before i wrapped it up i made sure i can get everything to fit
-
-
-
-

so after a nice sleep of like 3 hours it was time to wrap it
-
-
-
-

doesnt it look awesome

so i forgot to take photos of the after when i finished cleaning up the doors but here are some of the before
-
-
-
-
-

so after that i cleaned everything up real good and got ready for the primer, but sadly i ran out of primer on the last section of one of the doors so im going to be attacking it next week with more primer
-
-
-
-
-
**** the holes <.<
-

So this is where im upto now

tomorrow im going to be working on the drums and getting them ready for a bleed and then set everything up again friday night for primer and hopefully some blaaaaaaaaaaack

so today and yesterday i did a little bit of work on the rear drums getting them ready for a bleed so im able to STOP when i have to move it haha kinda shitty photos and not much too it so im going to let the pics to the walking

right hand side

oh ****

right hand down .... now for the left

time to replace the slave cylinder

i didnt take any photos of the new slave installed as i had so much crap on my hands haha but its fixed and was the only problem from stopping me getting a roady

UPDATE!

Well i have to say this is my proudest moment in this build, i know i can do better but with the time and the shitty paint gun i have this is pretty damn good so lets begin.

after setting up the paint booth again i got started in sanding down the inside of the doors as they had a few runs and a little bit of water on it

then it started sanding down the bumper parts

then it came to primering and it came out quiet right

then i grabbed the other stuff and got that done too

So then it was time to wait .... and wait, then it was the next day and time to sand **** back and get some ****ing awesome colour going.

It started to rain half way into painting and the doors and hatch got wet some how and i'll have to sand them back but i am happy with the bumber parts

the photos look cloudy cause i had just finished painting so when it dried up i took some better photos of the bumper parts

after closer inspection this one got wet as well but as i wont be looking at it i dont care ...... for now haha

so this is me upto date i wont have any real updates for a while as its around that time of the year where everyone company wants money but i will keep you posted with any little things i do.

thanks again for all the comments guys.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well guys ive been a little bit busy with other stuff other then the civic but i havnt finished working on it big stuff happening at the end of may so let me show you what ive been up too the last few weeks.

So i thought now that everything is in primer now would be a good time to clean out some of the car and put stuff back on and take some off

starting to look like a car now!

now for the wheel well ...... looks like someone had ran over something and then tried to beat it back to normal but in doing so they ripped some of the metal and even folded it over it self so it had to be cut out ready for a new patch to be welded in

herpderpcamera

i'll be getting her welded up soon

but then it was time to start my bonnet .....

rusty as all ***** but with the help of my friends this is where it is right now got to buy a new wire wheel

need the wire wheel for spots like this

BUT NOW FOR SOME JIZZ WORTHY STUFF!

all this i grabbed from the parts car i had a while ago and man does it look sad as

BUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!
I took all this to work and got it sandblasted, degasses, pretreated and painted and DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNN its sexy

so this is where i am right now more work and photos coming at the end of the month BIG update

BOOM!

this is all you get to see for now

funny looking white isn't it?

WELL WELL WELL, I really couldn't wait for it to be on the road to show you guys so i'm going to show you now :D

ok guys last time you saw my bonnet it looked like this.

after attacking it with more 40gritt and then 80gritt i got this.

i then got the middle bit with the same treatment the next day.

i also bought a ****ing awesome wire wheel that vibrated so much my arms went numb haha

after all that hard work i treated the metal with a rust converter

after cleaning it up i sprayed the areas i thought and knew where **** haha

then started sanding down to find them

i really didnt want to spend too much time on the bonnet as i might be replacing it with a fibreglass one in the future as this one is pretty much screwed.

i made this decision after the first lot of bog haha

but i got it smoothed out and ready.

1/4 of my paint booth up

but with only 1/4 up i got her in primer

after it dried i proped her on the car and pushed her in the booth

i didnt take any photos of the next part but i ****ed up and put dints in the roof that i fixed up

but the weekend rocked up, the boss wanted me to work but i blatantly said " no im painting my car" haha so i put the rest of my paint booth up

haha remember that blue frame built it for more then one uses

but while building the booth i found this guy chillin

later that night before i fully put the booth up as i needed two people haha i started to mask up the car
4HOURSLATERAT1AMINTHEMORENING!

dont ask me why it took 4 hours haha but it stayed on for a few days haha

so after that i went to bed to get a good night sleep for the most epic weekend ever but before i did that i had to have one more peek at my new colour

its a very funny looking white

8am rocks up and it time

over kill i had two moisture traps on this line haha

dont worry i got rid of the zip ties haha

so after getting everything sorted i spent the next 5 hours dry rubbing and wet rubbing down the whole car and she came out smooth as unicorns *****

then i spent around another 2 hours masking up for ......THIS!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Got everything put back on once it dried

now guys i want you to close your eyes and imagine this is all poor old sean can see in his booth ...... NOTHING my lights broke and i couldnt see **** but thankfully i had a head lamp hahha a head lamp xD its 730pm on a sunday night and i needed this car painted, i had the air compressor going nonstop for 4 hours, it was 25C in the booth and 14C out side all i had to see was a small little led head lamp but god damn did i do a ****ing amazing job, i got it painted and cleared in four hours but it come out amazing.

first feather coat lol

that is all i could see ...... lol

but after the 4 hours i was done, i could clean up and go to bed ready for a 6am start ahaha

the next night i didnt finish work until 7pm O_O 13 hour shift god damn but this was really the only photo i could take

i pushed it into some light for a better photo but couldnt get much other then this

after a couple of late nights and rainy days i finally was able to take a real day time photo haha

i then started putting the front end back on as im going to be getting a new honeycomb grill and painting that

ITS DONE MWUAHAHA the painting of the outside is done yaaaaaaaay now when you look at it close up you can see every single imperfection but i couldn't give a single flying **** i did it my self on my drive way and she came out amazingly but this is where im at right now :D next week im going to be trying to get all the glass installed and all the panels and doors lined up

thank you guys so much for all the comments and support :D really makes my day reading them :D
Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deigima
looking great! you plan on keeping the wheels or finding something originalish, or racecar?
funny enough i found some stock rims and ill be keeping both, stockies for driving and the 15"s for show n shine

!!ERPDURT!!

its not a big update but its got lots of goodies

so while i was getting some welding in the back done i thought it would be a good idea to get my rear windows in

JDM AS FU#K

Just a little bit of welding

now here come the goodies i got given this as a gift ... its massive

then after 6 months of looking i found a god damn windscreen ..... WITH TINT!!!!! the factory ones never had tint or the black boxing around the edges

now this is a pretty **** photo but i havnt been home in the last 3 weeks with out it raining or dark but i manage to get the water run offs sealed up and will be ready to paint when i get a chance haha

THEN THIS CAME IN THE MAIL :D

full of joy i read this thing 2 times in one night ahaha

now tonight i got the best thing of all :D my new clutch kit and hoodie MWUAHAHA it looks so awesome and its so small oO

smallest release bearing i have ever seen haha

so this is all right now, trying to find a spare few hours to get new rubber trims and the front and rear windscreen installed, once that is done i'll be able to start installing the new clutch :D

WELL this weekend was a very productive and a very painful weekend but i got what i needed to be done and im pretty stoked to have done this myself with the aid of one of my friends to hand me tools and pulling **** out haha but with out further a do its update time!

so thuresday night i thought while i was home early and i had the light i'd get some of the back end done and it looks like a car haha

then friday comes around and i finished work at 1pm so i got home and got started removing the front wheel

this was as far as i got with the front wheel as i was missing tools ....... so i started pulling all the **** out from the gear box ready for tomorrow

hmmm nasty

so sat morning rocks up and it was a trip down to supercheap auto as i didnt have a 32mm socket or a beaker bar anymore

so i also found out my jack has a leak and will slowly lower it self so i went out and grabbed some cheap axel stands as well

once i got that **** sorted out it was go time

WHOO ITS OUT but hmmmm oil
so after the gear box was out it was time for a much needed rest as the sun was going down and my work shop was a mess

sunday rocks up and it time to get this flywheel out for machining and i was greeted with this bullshit

my first thought was ......****..... either something has been chewing at the bolts and clutch or the ***** who owned it before me did a **** *** job and not having ANY ten mill sockets i had to use a spanner :/

if you dont bleed, youre not doing it your self

so after desperately needing a 10mm i went in search and found a 10mm tex screw drill bit and and socket to screw driver adapter .... PERFECT!! it wasnt the best but i got the mother****ers off

so after a bit of swearing and yelling i got the clutch out and god damn its gone haha

all 4 tabs looked like that :/ also one of the bolts holding this in wasnt even tight just held in finger tight ...

new vs old

mmmm clutch dust and oil hmmm its also pretty chunky for a flywheel

but before i take it to the shop i gave it a bit of a clean cause im not a douce bag haha
i used degreaser, wax and grease remover and hot water and dishwashing liquid it come out quiet nice

so after all that it was time to clean up and get a feed but before that i checked the engine and looks like im up for a new seal

hmmm oil

so this is where im up to today over the next few weeks i'll be doing some cleaning og the engine bay, gearbox and putting it back together ready for a test drive around the block to make sure everything work they way it is ment to haha

thank you all again for all your comments :D
Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so this is some what up to date guys i'll be posting more in the next coming weeks when I get more internet.

if you would like to view the original thread here it is
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...restore-upgade
Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so in my last update you saw THIS!!!!!!!!

MY GOD it was just leaking after i left it for a few days so i got a new one :D ...... only took 2 days to get here from vic

then i gave everything a clean and pretty much had to **** it to get it out

..... no one told me it had metal in it haha but anyways while i was waiting for the seal to arrive i got my flywheel machined i was going to get it lightened but i kinda needed it there and then and only had enough money to get it machined

damn it looks sexy, so now that i got the flywheel on time to put the clutch on

THEN THIS HAPPEN!

bolt snapped due to the torque wrench i was using being too strong so i had to go out and buy this tiny one that cost me an arm :/

but since i had a heap of dirty **** off i'd thought id give it a bit of a clean

so my starter motor has been acting stupid too ... not always working so when i pulled it out of the gear box it looked like this :/ really needed a clean

ahhh nice and clean, now that that is all clean and everything else is clean time to put the gear box back in ....... AND IT ONLY TOOK 2 HOURS!

after getting the gearbox back in i found a problem with the linkage..... the bolt holding it together was rubbing on the car and causing it to catch in 4th and reverse

so it was time to do some good old shaving

the camera would not focus on something else other then my tumb .....

like a glove also front end back on and everything connected

now its time to put all the rubbers that havnt died back on and all the light and trims

Old 09-02-2013, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so at this point i had hit a massive problem that i will come back too soon bit it still didnt stop me from getting stuff done so it was time to get the windows in WHOO!

now about 5 mins into installing the rear window i forgot about the chrome trim that was ment to go on first so it was a mad rush finding them only to find out ive lost the little chrome trim the goes in the middle of the two bits to make it looks neat ..... so i did what any other MCM fan would do a ****ing made my own

tapped it in a bit but it fits haha and now for

THIS!

THAT WAS MY BRAND NEW WINDSCREEN AAAHHHHHHHHHH SEAN ANGRY, SEAN SMASH!!!!!
6 months and $120 gone ....... thank god the guy who i bought it off has HEEEEAAAPPPPPS so i got him to come around the next day to install a new one but on his arrival it came to our attention the the windscreen rubber was too broken to reuse and would leak like a mother ****er if we put it on......... so i rang around 50 people and finally found a clark rubber that could get me one for ......$150 ...... thats more then i paid for the god damn windscreen ...... but it took 2 weeks and i now have it sitting in my room waiting for this friday :D and on that note of mega hulk rage BAAAAACK to the gearbox ......

..... out it came again ...... after putting everything back together i found out the clutch was not disengage and also had no feed back .... ontop of that the starter motor had died after i cleaned it, so i pulled it apart again to let it air out and still nothing ..... after 3 days in a dry box with a moisture trap ..... nothing.... so after i pulled the gearbox out i found this ........ i cant BEEEELIIIIVVVEEEE i missed this but here it is and here its fixed

drilled and smashed a screw driver in it to get it out

lol opps

so after fixing that problem i got the gearbox back in and OH GOD IT WORKS, new clutch feels sooooooo good hahah

now a little while ago i bought a whole heap of goodies from MERICA!

all my **** is priority haha but last thing to arrive and the best haha

bam new starter this and the new coilpack plus the new battery REALLLLY pack a punch ahahah

but it starts first go even with 2 year old stail fuel hahah

now this is where im at right now im working on it every night getting the last little bits finished as im moving in 5 weeks and i need the car registered in 3 so it is pretty much go time everytime, and cause you guys waiting so long and love me so much ive got a little gift for you haha

took these too work and got a prototype primer and just your normal top coat and they looks sexy as

Old 09-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for the build!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks mate
Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ARE
YOU
****ING
READY!!!!

Well holy crap where the **** do i begin hahah, after moving houses and sorting internet and car out i finally have a update guys, and without further a do

ITS UPDATE TIME!

SOOOOOOOO im just going to start with the windows , now while the windows sat in my car they became kinda filthy with human and weather slim so they needed a good old clean

and while i was at it i put the door cards and rubbers in too as well as everything else while bare foot

so after cracking my NEW windscreen i had to call the bloke back and get him to install it again but this time i needed a new rubber that cost me $250 O_O but i needed it and it was the only one i could find without having to wait few months for it to come somewhere else so here it is

no after installing the windows i realised id forgotten the window trims that stop the glass from hitting the door and water from getting in ..... and having clips that are no longer made i had to get my mightycarmods on and mod my own

looks awesome and works well

now a few pages ago i asked the people a or b and good on ya for choosing a

made a rubber underlay for the plastic as i didn't want to to rub in the wind

i had a better photo of the mirrors but it wouldn't let me take it off the phone so here was the next best one

now when i looked at my dash i had some brown crap on it and i couldnt see so it needed to be clean ASAP

I CAN SEE HOW SLOW IM GOING NOW!!

**** GETTIN REAL UP IN HERE

so my poor lil battery terminals needed a upgrade ...... dearly

mmm shiny, now it was time to give the under side of the bonnet a quick sand and a spray of rust guard
Old 11-04-2013, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

then it was time for a epic....and i mean epic clean out

for thiiiiiiiiis!

so to get ready for the body deadener i needed to grind and sand back the wheel well in the booth and give it a rust guard and seam sealer just in case of tiny hole

forget to take finish photo.... but here is the inside tripped and getting ready

lol never mind i found a potato camera photo

and then it was time....... TIME FOR WAYBIG TO MAKE AN APPEARANCE IN MY CARPET

now i know what you're all thinking..."holy **** sean you're wearing work boots" yes... yes i was

now after all that hard work it was time to give this filthy biatch and bath and a service

NOW ITS ROADY TIME BIATCHS ..... BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO roady had to have a massive ***** about the most useless things like my dash lights not being bright enough ..... last time i looked you didnt need to use your ****ing highbeam in the middle of the day ..... my little dash lights are bright as at night ...... but yeah he failed me on that ..... then had a go at me about my clutch needed replacing .... so i showed him the old one

and all i got was a "hmm ok" AND THEN he said my CV boots looks old and need replacing, i asked him if there was any holes and he said "no but i could make one" and preceded to rip a hole in my cv boot causing me to tell him to get the **** off my drive way and **** off he also claimed my started needed to be replaced..... yet i got a new one from america ...... ****ing dumb ***, soo when he left in a fit of rage i smashed my way down to jaycar and global auto spares and got some goodies

old starter relay vs new

sooo this is what my dash lights look like in the middle of the day with the sun aiming at it ...... ****ing doucebag

now to start the modding :D, these a lil tiny globs

cut out new LEDs and mod rubber mounts

now i used the LED wiring and just added some welding wire and soldiered them together to make the same set up as the globes as they just push into some pins and sit there looking pretty

INSERT BIG DADDY LEDS

Without plastic cover vs with

so after all that bullshit was done i drove her down to my local mechanic to do the roady and sadly fix a massive oil leak i now had from "not putting in my rear main correctly" oh and we will come back to that **** fight soon but now for a bit of fun hahaha

hahaha i had too but now into the deep story of my poor little EB3 that couldn't any more

after driving her round for a few days with moving house and what not i noticed she was starting to struggle getting up to speed and spewing out smoke and oil, then i found this

she had a bad case of blowby .... now for those of you who dont know what this is, its when you have broken piton rings/pistons or have had rust in your bore and is letting your sump to compress with air causing it to blow up the drain hole, past your pistons and into the carby or exhaust, filling everything up with oil, now to slow this down i needed to get a catch can but being at least $60 and me only have $10 i had to make one

now this only slowed it down a little but it also ended up over filling the pot and spewing it all over the engine bay making it a mess and smoky and having moved i couldnt ride to work anymore so i went in search for a new engine but before i even made it home to look for one i stalled it on the highway doing 110km/h and almost took out a car behind me from bunny hoping it ........... after towing it home we found out the fuel line, carby, and new filter was full of clay .......

so after cleaning everything out and replacing the filter again she began to work again but now blowing even more smoke and oil ........

then i found a member on my honda club who had a few engines and gave me 2 EB1's an EB3 with gearbox and a ER motor for $100

so as mine being a EB3 i grabbed the spare and started stripping it for a massive rebuild

35yo engine slim

oil pick up

THAT THING IS HEAVY AS ****!

Old 11-04-2013, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so after that i gave her a awesome clean and ready for a hone as the bore was awesome but just a little dirty

just a little rust

THEN THIS HAPPENED AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH he who shall not be named broke my number 3 piston getting the rings out ....... and as i needed the engine NOW no one could get me pistons inside of 3 weeks ........ i was doooooomed

so i had a talk to the guy i bought the engines off and he was awesome enough to tow me to his place an hours drive away and got some real work done with both EB3 motors we made one sexy cougar.

now you cant see it in this but the mechanic i sent my car to to FIX THIS used a bloody hole punch to put this in and ****ed it up and caused it to leak from here ......

WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM! two pistons gooooooone luckily i had 3 spare from the other engine ...

pistons reringed and ready from some love

now i had to have fun with some of the honda boys with this one
DAT K-SWAP

hahaha

but the old girl is back and and she hauls **** now no smoke no oil just pure 35 year old body with the heart of a 18 year old

Now i would love to thank Mark Simmons for his massive help this past weekend and advice over the last few weeks, now i leave you with some sexy photos of mine and a friends honda

thank you so much everyone for waiting for this epic update and thank you everyone that has helps :D but she is FAR from done but for now i dont think i'll have a update untill the next year guys