Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Classic Hondas (https://honda-tech.com/forums/classic-hondas-106/)
-   -   Low idle/Engine Shutoff 88 Honda Accord (https://honda-tech.com/forums/classic-hondas-106/low-idle-engine-shutoff-88-honda-accord-3332968/)

Kevin Wood 01-22-2019 07:16 AM

Low idle/Engine Shutoff 88 Honda Accord

I have a 88 Honda accord with the A20A1 engine along with a manual transmission. It's a 2.0L, 4 cylinder, with a carberator. Where my problem is, whenever I want to press the clutch it will lower the rpms, as it should, but it will lower it to about 300. This causes the whole vehicle to shake and make it a little difficult to steer. Moreover, it causes the lights to dim due to the alternator running lower. It's overall super annoying, especially since it's been happening for so long. I've done a lot of work to this car, and this is one of the annoyances that I struggle to fix. It went away after a month or two, but about a week ago it started right back up. Making it fairly difficult to stay at a stop light trying to keep the car running while holding the brakes. I've done all of that follows to the car, change the air charge temp sensor, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, change oil, valve cover gasket, brake calipers, brake pads, rear wheel cylinders, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil, headlights, brake rotors, and the master brake cylinder. I don't believe it's a vacuum leak, I have searched and searched and haven't seen anything. My thoughts are maybe fuel pump or something along those lines. Anybody got anything? Thanks a bunch!!

letank 01-22-2019 04:03 PM

Re: Low idle/Engine Shutoff 88 Honda Accord

1) Are all the electrical accessories off when it happens? Headlights, rear defroster, heater fan, ....

2) What is the normal idle when in neutral?

3) If you put a voltmeter at the battery how much voltage do you have at A) Normal idle, B) when an helper depress the clutch ?

Kevin Wood 01-22-2019 04:54 PM

I will have to do that in the coming day. However, the car is supposed to idle at around 600rpm. The rpm doesn't change when clutch is pressed on neutral. If anything, pressing the clutch makes it act as though it was in neutral.

letank 01-24-2019 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Wood (Post 51839861)
I will have to do that in the coming day. However, the car is supposed to idle at around 600rpm. The rpm doesn't change when clutch is pressed on neutral. If anything, pressing the clutch makes it act as though it was in neutral.

Excellent news, you can bump the idle speed to 800 or 850. I have my civic at about 900 (yes specs are also at 700) , it helps for the night drive to prevent stalling when the choke let go and the headlights are on, as I am on the verge of stalling, especially with the heater/defrost on.