Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

How to: 1st gen CRX Si tranny into 1st gen CRX DX

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: 1st gen CRX Si tranny into 1st gen CRX DX

Lol I actually haven't started pulling the tranny, I'll be doing so in the morning. I'm just bored so I figured I'd throw up my thread so I'd just have something to edit.

Full pull and install coming in the morning!

This can also be used for a good reference to doing any tranny removal/install.

Now then, I know the stock gear ratio's for the DX go as follows:

1: 2.916:1
2: 1.764:1
3: 1.192:1
4: 0.866:1
5: 0.718:1
Reverse: 2.916:1
Final drive: 4.250:1

But I also know that the 5th gear in the Si tranny is a bit shorter. It's 0.647:1, is it not? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So basically, the idea behind bolting the Si tranny to the DX carb'd motor is that the 5th gear is a bit shorter, so you'll feel a little more power in the top end. Match that up with an Si head and some 40 dcoe sidedrafts, and you'll have a fast little penny racer
Old 06-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

havin a couple issues getting the new tranny on. freakin mounts are getting in the way, and the motor being tilted is not helping at all. Suggestions?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (cb07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cb07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">havin a couple issues getting the new tranny on. freakin mounts are getting in the way, and the motor being tilted is not helping at all. Suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

stupid question since i have never worked with this particular motor before, when you had the trannys side by side, did they look the same as far as casing shape and mount locations?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doublethink)

yeah there the same ,mounts are the same and casings allso

as for the troubles with the install remove the rear mount ,and passenger mount from the tranny ,bolt them to the car and then take a peice of wood place it on a jack and lift the engine and trans into place ,lifting rihgt on the oil pan

ive done it this way at least 10 times and works like a charm

bolt the passenger mount up up first then move the jack back and forth untill the bolts for the tranny mount line up
you might have an issue with the rear mount no lineing up to the bolt holes ,but alittle wiggle here and there and it will go

good luck
Old 06-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea they look exactly the same. They're supposed to be a direct swap, seeing as the blocks are the same, only the heads are different. I got the top three 17mm bolts for the bell housing bolted up, but the bottom won't go on.

Any tips for getting the input shaft to line up and slide in?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh ninja'd by phatboycrxhf.

Mmk I'll do that in the morning. Hopefully I get it going.

EDIT: Phatboycrxhf- when you say the passenger mount, do you mean the mount on the firewall or the one by the passenger fender? I never took either mount off the car, I just unbolted the tranny/motor from them.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cb07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ahh ninja'd by phatboycrxhf.

Mmk I'll do that in the morning. Hopefully I get it going.

EDIT: Phatboycrxhf- when you say the passenger mount, do you mean the mount on the firewall or the one by the passenger fender? I never took either mount off the car, I just unbolted the tranny/motor from them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i meant the passenger side fender mount ,sorry about that

ok well just place the a peice of 2x4 on the jack and lift the engine into place so ,you can bolt the passenger side mount up ,then move to the rear/firewall mount

all i do is get it in place and wiggle it back and forth untill she is flush with the block ,then just throw a bolt on a little bit ,then get all the bolts threaded a bit untill i trouqe them all down

as for the tranny bolts ,are the bolts not lineing up at all ?? did you tighen down the top bolts before you got the bottoms threaded ???

maybe just back them off a bit and try and wiggle it around until she goes ,lol im sorry but thats all i can really think of right now

good luck ,im sure you'll get it

mitch
Old 06-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I bolted up the 3 top 17mm bolts, but the bottom won't attach. Basically I can't get the two 14mm bolts on either side of the bottom of the bell housing to bolt up. I'll try your idea tomorrow.

Any idea on the input shaft? I'm afraid to just press it up and have it not be in there.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It wouldn't let me edit^^^

The bottom bolts line up, the bell housing just won't squeeze close enough to the block to bolt up.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh i c ,well its not hitting lined up right then ,you most likely have to back it off and try again ,you might be able to moveing around and it might just slide in but i dout it

it would be alot easier it you had the engine pulled though

too bad you didn't live close to me id just come over and help lol

see if wiggleing it around will help ,i bet its just snagged up a bit

are you a big boy ?can you toss that sucker around pretty easy ? if not ,do you have someone that can help you ? i dont want you to hurt yourself

as for the input shaft
thats why i think its not bolting up right ,because the input shaft hasent gone all the way in ,just move the tranny from side to side a bit and it will slide in there

Modified by phatboycrxhf at 11:24 PM 6/24/2007
Old 06-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol nope I'm a tiny *** white kid, with a broken arm hahaha.

I had one person "kinda" helping yesterday, but he knows nothing about cars so he mainly just sat there. Hopefully my friend with a tranny jack and a 3 ton shop jack will be over today. Shouldn't have many problems after that, I don't think.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So by chance is there a possibility that there are different spline counts between 1986 and 1987?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope ,all the trannys from the sedan, civic ,crx, have the same parts and all bolt to each other engines 1.3 and 1.5 im pretty sure there is only a diffrence in the starters ,but cant remember which one it is

you still cant get it to bolt up or what ???

maybe just pull the hole engine if your having issues,thats what i allways do and it works great ,there is alot more room ya know
Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea it's ridiculous. I keep getting it to where I can get the three 17mm bolts on the bellhousing to bolt up, but the bottom of the bellhousing and the side towards the firewall won't line up at all!

I can't pull the motor because, alas, I have no cherry picker I'm at the point where I'm gonna put a tow rope on it and hook the other end somewhere on my roof and just unbolt it and jack up motor and drop the car until I can get at the motor alone.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drop the engine from the bottom remove everything suspension wise and lower the car to the point of it allmost touching the the torsion bars on the ground and then just unbolt it ,

or get some help ,since your a I'm a tiny *** white kid, with a broken arm hahaha

you could allways ship the engine and trans to me and I'll bolt it up for you i kidd i kidd lol just playin

im feeling your pain though when i first started when i was 15 lol i had to do it all myself you'll get it though ,i have faith in you

mitch
Old 07-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I just went outside and stared at it for a few minutes. Maybe when I get off work tomorrow I'll try again.

I started actually wrenching on cars when I was around 14 or 15 too, but I've never had to do a clutch or tranny or anything. I've installed some motors, but thats about how extensive I've gone. Lol.

It's just annoying to work 8 a.m to 6 p.m with no break and no chance to sit down, then come home to something that needs a tranny installed.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel ya man ,im not working at the moment and worked sometimes 15 hours a day and was 13 hours from my car lol

dont give up bro you will get it ,and when you do ,you'll be jumping for joy

was there any dirt or anything on the splines ??? i doubt thats the problem but worth asking
Old 07-02-2007, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, there wasn't any to begin with, but I cleaned it anyways, several times now.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
1g

Default Re: How to: 1st gen CRX Si tranny into 1st gen CRX DX (cb07)

look athe bellhousing on both the motor and the trans, theres 2 dowel pins.

im willing to be you money thats there 2 hitting each other, seen it happen a few times.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to: 1st gen CRX Si tranny into 1st gen CRX DX (1g)

if the top bolts up and the bottom doesnt, then u have to loosen the bolts, pull the trans back and then put it back on straight.

The input shaft isnt going into the clutch disc straight, causing it to bind.

Just loosed the top 3 17mm;s, then try putting the tranny back on straight ( u cant pull the tranny to the engine with bolts on only one side), u have to pull it together evenly.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^I know. But remember, there's just one of me working with a stupid duralast jack from Autozone. So pushing a tranny forward, tilting and wiggling it around, the pulling it back isn't exactly easy after doing it a few times.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I'm on my way outside now. I'm gonna drop the entire front end, unbolt the motor so it's sitting on the ground, and raise the car back up over it as high as possible.

So yea.... updates later. I need a f'n DD.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so the motor is out, the front of the car and the unbolted motor are on the ground. Now I gotta go out there and jack the car back up....

Forgot to take the F'n throttle cable off, and the rear motor mount got in my damn way. Out they came!!

Ahhh... I'm so tempted to just throw away this motor and do a blacktop swap from a 89 Integra...

Modified by cb07 at 3:58 PM 7/3/2007
Old 07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoo hoo! It's on! I felt like I had just...made babies... when I felt the shaft slide in.

BUT! An oil change is going to be happening before I start it up again. The motor tipped over lol, so definetely gonna have to drain all the fluids that are still in there in case they mixed
Old 07-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I just finished (at 11:45 p.m) getting everything hooked up, and I go inside to get me keys, and they're gone. I can't start my car because I can't find my keys! Ah!

I'm going to bed, it's too late for this.

Quick Reply: How to: 1st gen CRX Si tranny into 1st gen CRX DX