Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Help with a cvcc I can't get to start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with a cvcc I can't get to start!!!

I will try to make this short and to the point...

I just bought a 77 cvcc civic... I hadn't had a chance to dive until today due to me having a son aug 3rd... I took off in the car today on my way to work... I get to the first stop sign, full stop and go... I get the next stop sign and do a rolling stop... The car stumbles a little but picks right back up just fine... make a few more complete stops and the car is fine... Fill the car up with gas and hit the highway... Running 60mph, light ahead is red but before I can fully stop the light changes... Again the car stumbles but picks right back up fine... Next light is red... Complete stop--- the car dies... Put it in park and re crank the car... Runs for a min and dies again... Try to start it again and it will not even turn the engine over... At this point the light is green and I have o push the car off the side of the road and had it towed home... I had to work today so I havent tried anything yet

Any info will help... I have another 77 non-cvcc at home I can steal some parts from to get it running again

And thank you in advance
Old 08-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with a cvcc I can't get to start!!!

Also to add...

Is the fuel pump external near the gas tank... And should it be making a clicking noise
Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cvcc fuel pump is behind the driver seat, covered up with three screws cover panel. Civic 1200 fuel is on the head.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your carb, maybe dirty...clogged, bad gas.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so this morning I hand turned the motor over to be sure it hadn't locked up when it stalled... Then I swapped batteries with a new battery I had just bought for my 81 civic... No luck...

I pulled the starter and it spins free... I am going to have it bench tested today but, for some reason, I dont think its the issue

I noticed today that when I try to start the car the fuel pump clicks like the starter would if you had a dead battery... Now i know this wouldn't prevent the engine from starting but again I think I have two issues
Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the starter and battery to be tested and they both tested ok

Not really sure where to go from here... I am going to start looking for a loose wire or something that doesn't look quite right
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DOHCIVIC
Ok so this morning I hand turned the motor over to be sure it hadn't locked up when it stalled... Then I swapped batteries with a new battery I had just bought for my 81 civic... No luck...

I pulled the starter and it spins free... I am going to have it bench tested today but, for some reason, I dont think its the issue

I noticed today that when I try to start the car the fuel pump clicks like the starter would if you had a dead battery... Now i know this wouldn't prevent the engine from starting but again I think I have two issues
The clicks are normal. Is the fuel filter fresh? Have you measured the output of fuel? Just a couple of things to check.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 78CITYTURBO
Check your carb, maybe dirty...clogged, bad gas.
Originally Posted by DOHCIVIC

Did you completely ignore 78city?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nooch
Did you completely ignore 78city?
No I didn't but a dirty carb wouldn't cause the car not to turn over at all, it would just cause it not to run...

I have put a full tank of 93 in the car the day it wouldnt turn over... I'm thinking one of the 10-15 connection I pushed on to besure everything was tight, fixed the issue but I am going to drive around the neighborohood for a few days before I hit capital blvd again and have to have it towed onec more
Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bob78cvcc
The clicks are normal. Is the fuel filter fresh? Have you measured the output of fuel? Just a couple of things to check.
Bob... would it be normal for the fuel pump to have a few really quick clicks on startup
Old 08-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok here is the issue... I have traced the problem to wiring... a past owner must have rewired a few things and didn't stick with the way it was factory wired

I am looking for some help from other CVCC owners... their is a harness plug on the battery side that has wires running to the starter solenoid and to three sensors that are on the side of the engine

I am in need what color wires are to what sensor and if infact the starter solenoid wire is supose to come out of that plug... From the harness that is in the car now the starter solenoid wire and one of the sensor wires are tied to it... I know it shouldn't be like that... I have looked at a wiring diagram to trace out these wires but no wire is matching what I have in the car

I can get pictures of what I am talking about and if anyone lives near NC I would behappy to pay you gas money to come to my house so I can take a look at your car to compare

I can get the car to start if I run a wire from the starter solenoid to the battery and it will fire up everytime

I am sure its due to wiring in the car...
one thing I forgot add in my last post was that some times when I get in the car and press the brake the interior buzzer goes off and continues to go off everytime I press the brake pedal, also if I press the horn button, the same issue... The interior buzzer will sound but not the horn it self

But other time the car will work as it should... press the horn button and the horn sounds... Press the brake and nothing sounds

Weird stuff