Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Help with 88 Accord, I think

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 88 Accord, I think

I'm working on a car for someone a buddy of mine knows so i'm just hoping to get some info. I believe it is an 88 accord it is carberated (sp) and has an a20 something engine. When I first looked at the car they said that it died on the interstate and found it had melted the Dist. cap they replaced it and it didn't fix it so i was asked to check timing belt and fix if needed. belt was not broken nor off time. They later discovered that the pickup coil was bad..... i'm not even sure what that is as i've never heard something called that, not sure if it has a different name.... the car started and ran for about 15 minutes when the timing belt did break, which they tried to fix themselves with no success. When i got it again they had it off time, i re-timed it, still no start. I've chacked fuel, spark and rechecked timing numerous times everything is in order yet it still won't start. I believe this engine is a clearance engine so it should not have hit and bent valves. I'm just looking for anything to check before i start tearing into more than i need to. also all cylinders have compression have not gauged it yet, but have done a poor mans test....Any help would be great thank you
Old 04-23-2008, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ALL honda engines that I know of are interference design. SO if the T-belt broke, they more than likely bent some valves.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with 88 Accord, I think (MakinAComeBack)

If you bent valves bad enough that the car won't run at all, I am pretty sure you'd hear some nasty noises in the valvetrain. The A20 engines CAN bend valves, but don't always. Lots of times you get lucky and the camshaft will stop in position with all the valves closed. This happened to me with my ES motor (early A series engine). Broke the timing belt about 150,000 miles ago.

Something tells me there's something wrong with your ignition system. The fact that the engine ran after the timing belt was on tells me the valves are fine. It would have been [freak]ed from the get-go. Also the fact that you already had something on the ignition system burn up is the second clue.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with 88 Accord, I think (2ndGenGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2ndGenGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Something tells me there's something wrong with your ignition system. The fact that the engine ran after the timing belt was on tells me the valves are fine. It would have been [freak]ed from the get-go. Also the fact that you already had something on the ignition system burn up is the second clue. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Agreed. Often when one ignition component goes it it causes a voltage spike or something and fries other things at the same time. Check the ignitor if the car has one...I don't honestly know.