Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

forum Newb: just saying hello!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forum Newb: just saying hello!

hey guys im new to the forums and thought i would break my Honda-Tech forum cherry by posting a pic of my 1987 CRX Si and saying hi to you all!

does anyone know of local meets to Washington State? i am wanting to see if there are any local 1G CRX owners?

anywho here's my car!
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: forum Newb: just saying hello!

wrong forum
you belong in the classics
Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we welcome you in the classics with open arms. nice ride.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the welcome! yep this one is all stock, i got it from the 2nd owner who has owned it since '88 it in great condition. i should take more picks inside and out also some engine stock... still has the OE Engine 221K miles
Old 04-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car is the color mine should be!!!!!! Argh!!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gabe87CRX
Your car is the color mine should be!!!!!! Argh!!!!
LOL i love mine the picture doesn't do it justice really should get more photos to post of this!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome ride man! I've not seen any meets here in Washington for the older Hondas or any older Japanese cars at all. There's the occasional H-T meet around here I guess. Last I heard, they had one at XXX Burger and it got pretty out of control. Cops involved I guess. Not interested, myself.

I did see a badass 1g CRX at autocross, and one of my buddies has a 1g CRX base model. So they're around, just few and far between.

We should totally start a WA or PNW Classic Honda club or group. It would be sweet to meet SOMEBODY around here with something old school.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you going to be keeping it original, or will be modifying? that one would be nice just preserved and cleaned up.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Click the link in my sig to checkout my work log.. T.O.C. is in the first post...
Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
Awesome ride man! I've not seen any meets here in Washington for the older Hondas or any older Japanese cars at all. There's the occasional H-T meet around here I guess. Last I heard, they had one at XXX Burger and it got pretty out of control. Cops involved I guess. Not interested, myself.

I did see a badass 1g CRX at autocross, and one of my buddies has a 1g CRX base model. So they're around, just few and far between.

We should totally start a WA or PNW Classic Honda club or group. It would be sweet to meet SOMEBODY around here with something old school.
i agree i would love to get a classic honda meet up and running or find one that is already started! and yeah they make some sick autocross cars
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
are you going to be keeping it original, or will be modifying? that one would be nice just preserved and cleaned up.
yes i am going to keep it stockk till the engine goes then I am going to contemplate swapping a new one in or dropping a newish D15A3 engine in... (the stock engine)
Old 04-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Click the link in my sig to checkout my work log.. T.O.C. is in the first post...
I think ill subscribe to that thread, it has one thing I should do witch I have the part, just no time for it... i need to swap the fuel pump... I also need a new control arm bearing though i am just going to swap the whole arm... if you need a hood i have a spare... i am still under the motto of "get the parts while you can!" also btw if your fast idle valve is having issues good lick finding a new one... intermotor stopped making the Fast idle control valve and I had to find a rebuild on ebay, decided to learn how to rebuild it if i needed to in the future
Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: forum Newb: just saying hello!

Yea, I am having very consistant FITV issues... constant idle bouncing... I will hit you up for that hood soon...

The fuel pump is easy... Your going to need a 22mm wrench to get the damper off...
  • Disconnect Negative Cable.
  • Remove rear left tire...
  • Remove Fuel Pump Cover (it is to the direct left of the wheel well)
  • Remove Fuel Pump mount.
  • Remove hoses on rear of pump, there is a cone filter in the hose, brake clean it. (The cone filter)
  • Disconnect filler neck hose and vent tube hose (Be prepared to replace both hose clamps)
  • The damper side should come out now, remove damper... DON'T LOSE THE SILVER GASKET, YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER ONE... It is aluminum so you'll be able to reuse it...
  • Remove the power cables... Black with Yellow strip is the positive cable... They are most likely rusted or ceased, so you'll have to rip the cables off.
  • New pump should have new cable clips... either use GOOD 3M electrical tape or heat shrink tubing, MAKE SURE TO USE THE TERMINAL COVERS TO PREVENT THE TERMINALS FROM GETTING WET!!!
  • Install new pump!!!

This is what I discovered when I had to do it...

You should change the fuel filter too....
Old 04-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Castaway2000
I think ill subscribe to that thread, it has one thing I should do witch I have the part, just no time for it... i need to swap the fuel pump... I also need a new control arm bearing though i am just going to swap the whole arm... if you need a hood i have a spare... i am still under the motto of "get the parts while you can!" also btw if your fast idle valve is having issues good lick finding a new one... intermotor stopped making the Fast idle control valve and I had to find a rebuild on ebay, decided to learn how to rebuild it if i needed to in the future
Yea... Idk if I need a FITV, because my Idle Bounces AFTER my car warms up... it's freakin weird..
Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea... Idk if I need a FITV, because my Idle Bounces AFTER my car warms up... it's freakin weird..
yep thats the FITV... i can tell you you cannot find this anymore exept rebuilt on ebay. i found one for 40 bucks plus shipping and when i got it the FITV was set incorrectly so he told me how to do in a nut shell "rebuild it"

this is the guy you'll want to contact him and see if he has anything... he recently moved shop down to California and might have a limited supply thats not on ebay right now:
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hondatech79/

i would also try cleaning it when the CRX has been not been run in a while

you can clean em out and reset the idle valve:
remove the idle valve and give it a good spray with CRC brake kleen next you will want to unscrew the top plate and with the flathead screw driver screw the wax part down till it wont go anymore then let off 540 degrees (360+180)

note: there is a screw on the top of the idle valve leave it as it is... its a vlave screw to adjust the idle after its cleaned out and warmed up

you need a some sockets(i think its 8mm or a 10mm) a flathead and philips screw drivers and some CRC carb cleaner/brake kleen to give it a good spray out

i hope this helps... i have leaned alot from my car just lety me know if you have any questions... i probably know what to do!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, I am having very consistant FITV issues... constant idle bouncing... I will hit you up for that hood soon...

The fuel pump is easy... Your going to need a 22mm wrench to get the damper off...
  • Disconnect Negative Cable.
  • Remove rear left tire...
  • Remove Fuel Pump Cover (it is to the direct left of the wheel well)
  • Remove Fuel Pump mount.
  • Remove hoses on rear of pump, there is a cone filter in the hose, brake clean it. (The cone filter)
  • Disconnect filler neck hose and vent tube hose (Be prepared to replace both hose clamps)
  • The damper side should come out now, remove damper... DON'T LOSE THE SILVER GASKET, YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER ONE... It is aluminum so you'll be able to reuse it...
  • Remove the power cables... Black with Yellow strip is the positive cable... They are most likely rusted or ceased, so you'll have to rip the cables off.
  • New pump should have new cable clips... either use GOOD 3M electrical tape or heat shrink tubing, MAKE SURE TO USE THE TERMINAL COVERS TO PREVENT THE TERMINALS FROM GETTING WET!!!
  • Install new pump!!!

This is what I discovered when I had to do it...

You should change the fuel filter too....

thanks for the writeup im going to do this today around noon, i replaced the fuel filter when i did the timing belt so i should be good there this seems simple enough...

ill need to get you pictures of the hood but yeah i have an extra one.. i was going to mod it to attach a hood scoop for ***** and giggles(so i could keep the car stock) but i suppose you might need it more than me

thanks again!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem! Get some pics of the hood!!! Also a price shipped to 08107.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very cool car, i remember my friend had one of these back in the day in my early 20's Cool then, Cool now
Old 04-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just some more Pics of my car

one freshly detailed and another of the freshly steam cleaned engine bay and one of the engine ID plate
Attached Images    
Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im up in Lynnwood and know a few more us classic Honda guys in our area. Theres more than you think. Message me if you want my number, I know where to find old parts.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hehe sweet someone to help out with in the parts department thats awesome! i am soon to be modifying this sucker to a realtime 4WD system and i actually need help obtaining all the necessary parts for it off a wagonvan!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at that motor.
Daaaam
Old 05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a stone classic! <sigh> thinking of deep sixing my 96 accord project now ... i'm just not feeling the love for it any more (mainly cuz its kicking my ***)

my bleeping "discord":
'96 4-door Accord w/ '93 JDM H22A engine
custom catback 2.5" exhaust to Megan muffler, headers, and CAI
JDM H22A Blacktop
bottom end rebuilt
-Eagle rods
-Darton sleeves
-type S pistons
-polished and balanced crank
-head gasket replaced w/steel head gasket from Nippon Racing
-type S head (port and polished)
-type S camshafts