Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

F22A6 First Gen CRX

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F22A6 First Gen CRX

I want to swap in an F22A6 (not interested in B, H, or ZC swap) into my first gen CRX which could really use a new engine. I know I need custom mounts and axles. What else do I need? If there's already a thread out there covering this swap (I couldn't find one), please post a link. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: F22A6 First Gen CRX

you could buy a bisimoto engineering F-to-D adaptor plate, drop in an 86-89 integra transmission (eliminates a good portion of your custom mount fabrication, shifter stuff, axle problems, etc., as that trans with its associated mounts bolts in).

you might need to clearance the framerail a bit on the driver's side, but it'd be easy in a first-gen crx, as thats not a big rail.

bisimoto.com would be a place to start for this.

OR, you could buy a B series transmission, an H/F-to-D adaptor system, and hasport B series mounts.

it might be a bit more bolt-in, as the half-shaft on the B tranny is easier to located on the F/H, and the trans is "shorter", putting the engine closer to the center of the car. the B series stuff is much easier to locate too.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate the reply. I forgot to say that I intend to keep the F series transmission (good gearing for a boosted motor). Based on your reply, I'm guessing that I'd have to modify the shifter cables, but don't know how I'd go about doing that. I'm not concerned with the custom mounts (reputable shop quoted me $200) or the axles. Anything special about wiring?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 PM
something different

wiring is pretty straight-forward if your car is an SI.

if not, you need to do a full MPFI electrical and FUel conversion (not an easy, but not a terrible project.

keeping the F series tranny= pain, but not impossible. you'd need to use the full shifter box (as its a cable-shifted trans, not a rod-shifted like the crx)

honestly, that trans sucks and is huge and heavy though. any shop that said the mounts are only going to be 200$ sounds like they might not know what they are getting into.

the axles will then be your problem.

you might want to contact Hasport. they'd probably be able to set you up with a working axle combo (similar to their EF chassis H22 axles).

you'd need the 86-89 integra spindles/hubs, as they have the bigger "normal" spline.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car is an Si. The shop is Sports Car Motion. They regularly get the nod from Honda Tuning Magazine and have done pretty well in racing their shop car.

The extra weight over the front axle is a good thing as far as I'm concerned as this will be more of a drag setup than time attack. It's not much extra weight anyway...maybe 30-40 lbs.

Why would I need to change out the hub? It's a custom axle. I would think Hasport would use the spline that's intended for my application?

I've been working on my Honda's for about five years now and I've never heard anybody refer to a "shifter box". What's that?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:47 PM
something different

the cable shifted trannies (K, F/H, and a few others) have a shifter box-assembly. its the box the cables run to, and are connecte to the shifter. you have to have the assembly to mount the cables into etc. benifit is you can put it wherever it'd reach, which is kinda cool.

the smaller spline hubs would make the axle even more silly. the bigger one would be the way to go (and i'd assume the custom axle builder would think so too). it allows you to potentially use the H/F axles for other cars (or a slightly modded-length version), and it'd cost quite a bit less.

the reason i say the mounts sound CHEAP is the amount of time it'd take to mock up, build, etc. they'd be making CRAP money/hour. that price is cheaper than off the shelf mounts.

have fun! i LOVE the F series engines (i have one in my EF civic, stock block, making roughly 400 WHP.

i generally hate the feel of the cable shifted trannies though, and they are not as strong as you'd expect a bigger, heavier tranny to be. people have put more power through D and B boxes.