Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

cracked intake boot causes rough idle after going uphill?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked intake boot causes rough idle after going uphill?

hey all,
any ideas on what might cause my engine to run slightly rough for 30 seconds or so after I climb uphill? On two separate occassions I have been going up a hill that is an overpass over a highway. When I get to the top of hill, which is level, and I await at traffic light to get on highway, my engine seems to buck and vibrate for 30 seconds or so. At first I thought it was the overpass vibrating (sounds dumb, I know, but the floors of concrete parking garages do vibrate, right?). But now, I'm leaning toward my car being the source of the vibration. While searching the internet, I found some guy in a BMW forum describing a similar situation when he goes up hill. He claims he finally pinpointed the source as being a slight leak in the "intake boot". Could this apply to my car? I have '87 CRX Si, manual transmission. [if you're curious, the BMW guy wrote this: "...while changing out my alternator last weekend I discoved that the intake boot had a crack in the bottom where it could not be seen until it was removed to make way for the alternator. I patched it up with some duct tape and low and behold the problem is gone. The motor mounts are only a few years old, but must have just enough play to allow the engine to "sit back" while going up a steep hill and stretch the boot, allowing air in where it was not intended. On level ground this was never a problem, even under the twisting that occurs under hard acceleration. I've ordered a replacement intake boot to make the repair permenant".)
Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked intake boot causes rough idle after going uphill?

that could be it completely. have you attempted to patch up the hole/tear?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked intake boot causes rough idle after going uphill?

well, I'd like to answer yes....but, no I haven't actually tried to patch the tear. I actually don't know much about cars. I'm trying to learn, but have got a long way to go. (I only recently bought "rhino ramps" and changed my oil for the first time! so, yea, I've got a long way to go...). I'm just trying to learn more about my car so I can be better able to talk to mechanics, as well as gradually start doing some repairs myself. Otherwise, I think this car could cost a lot in time and money, if little things keep popping up, and I'm just clueless about what's going on.