Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Couple of questions...'84 Civic 1300

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions...'84 Civic 1300

Ok, manual transmission fluid. I just changed it with Mobil 1 75/90. Normally I use red-line, not because my vehicles are high performance, but because it gives me peace of mind. Well I wanted to save money so I went with mobil 1. I'm regreting my decision now. Just doesn't seem right for this car. Can anyone tell me what would be good for this transmission? And please don't tell me motor oil, every thing I've read including my Chilton says motor oil, even the guy @ auto-zone told me to use it :/ WTF?

Now another question: Does anyone know what seats will swap into my car with little or no mods? Mine are beat to hell and about ready to fall apart. The only thing holding them together is the seat covers I'm wanting a more comfortable seat too.

And I still havn't figured out my high idle. Cold starts are hard. Gotta keep my foot on the gas for a sec to keep it running, then once the engine is warm the idle is really high. I'd say 1600 to 1800 RPMS. It's a little worse after driving it for long periods. I've cleaned all over the carb with carb cleaner, and lubed all the linkage and springs with PB blaster. Can anyone help me out with that? Thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Couple of questions...'84 Civic 1300

Sorry guys, some how I posted my thread twice, but I just thought of another question. I want to disable the beeping that drives me nuts!!! The one that lets you know your keys are still in the ignition when a door is open. Any help on that subject would be appreciated.

Last edited by G. Man; 07-12-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Couple of questions...'84 Civic 1300

check around the fuse box located under the dash
Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by G. Man
Ok, manual transmission fluid. I just changed it with Mobil 1 75/90. Normally I use red-line, not because my vehicles are high performance, but because it gives me peace of mind. Well I wanted to save money so I went with mobil 1. I'm regreting my decision now. Just doesn't seem right for this car. Can anyone tell me what would be good for this transmission? And please don't tell me motor oil, every thing I've read including my Chilton says motor oil, even the guy @ auto-zone told me to use it :/ WTF?

Now another question: Does anyone know what seats will swap into my car with little or no mods? Mine are beat to hell and about ready to fall apart. The only thing holding them together is the seat covers I'm wanting a more comfortable seat too.

And I still havn't figured out my high idle. Cold starts are hard. Gotta keep my foot on the gas for a sec to keep it running, then once the engine is warm the idle is really high. I'd say 1600 to 1800 RPMS. It's a little worse after driving it for long periods. I've cleaned all over the carb with carb cleaner, and lubed all the linkage and springs with PB blaster. Can anyone help me out with that? Thanks
Motor oil has worked for over 140Kmiles on my 85.... so it should work for you. 75w90 is way too thick for those.

As for High idle, check for a vacuum leak... brittle hoses around the carb and various controls module like the advance at the distributor...

For seats, measure the width of the current base and find a matching width a the junkyard. With a little elbow grease anything can fit.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by letank
Motor oil has worked for over 140Kmiles on my 85.... so it should work for you. 75w90 is way too thick for those.

As for High idle, check for a vacuum leak... brittle hoses around the carb and various controls module like the advance at the distributor...

For seats, measure the width of the current base and find a matching width a the junkyard. With a little elbow grease anything can fit.
I ended up draining the mobil-1, and putting in Red Line MTF. It shifts beautiful now. I will never use motor oil in a transmission. It doesn't have all the properties needed to lubricate properly. The Red Line MTF is 70W80. It satisfies the gear oil viscosity requirements of motor oil viscosities SAE 30, 10w30, and 5w30. Most gear oils, ATF's, and motor oils are too slippery for proper synchro engagement. Every time I use Red Line in my transmission, there is a dramatic difference. Flawless shifting.

I've replaced a few vacuum lines, and the rest look good.

I was thinking the same thing on the seats.

Thanks