Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Can you make change the voltage on your alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you make change the voltage on your alternator?

Hi. I have a Honda CRX Si 87 went to Auto Zone, they checked the alternator and the regulator is only trowing 11.8 volts. Is there any way I can change the voltage without replacing the alternator? If I have no choice but to replace the alternator, where is the cheapest place I can find this alternator? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can you make change the voltage on your alternator? (gonzalezjk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gonzalezjk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi. I have a Honda CRX Si 87 went to Auto Zone, they checked the alternator and the regulator is only trowing 11.8 volts. Is there any way I can change the voltage without replacing the alternator? If I have no choice but to replace the alternator, where is the cheapest place I can find this alternator? Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

check the battery is good first as a faulty battery will confuse the altenator (i have had this many times on various cars) otherwise it's a recon or new altenator

also if you do any welding on the car , disconect or remove the altenator , it only takes 10 minuites to remove (welding can pop the diodes, i did this on mine )
Old 04-20-2008, 10:23 AM

The battery is brand new. I just installed it yesterday and test drive the car with no problems. I then disconnected the negative pole of the battery with the car still on and the car turned off. Thats when I decided to check the alternator.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (gonzalezjk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gonzalezjk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The battery is brand new. I just installed it yesterday and test drive the car with no problems. I then disconnected the negative pole of the battery with the car still on and the car turned off. Thats when I decided to check the alternator.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's actually not a good idea to disconect the battery with the engine running as this can also damage an altenator (a cut off switch for racing will have a resistor wired in to keep the load on the altenator when the battery is switched off when running for this reason)

sounds like you need a new altenator and don't test it this way again!

HTH
Old 06-17-2008, 03:22 PM

Default Re: (gonzalezjk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gonzalezjk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The battery is brand new. I just installed it yesterday and test drive the car with no problems. I then disconnected the negative pole of the battery with the car still on and the car turned off. Thats when I decided to check the alternator.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That does mean you have a bad alt. Replace and charge the batt. You should be good to go.