Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

'88 Honda Accord LXI steering wheel turns all the way over by itself upon start!??!

Old 02-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 Honda Accord LXI steering wheel turns all the way over by itself upon start!??!

After getting 16 inches of snow and very cold temperatures, within the past few days something is very wrong with my 1988 Honda Accord LXI. I drove on the highway to work and upon acceleration over 45 MPH the right tire sounded like it was clunking loud, shaking, and it caused my steering wheel to also shake. The roads were really icy still so I barely got over 40 MPH during my entire 20 mile commute to work. My coworker mentioned it was most likely snow in my front right tire that had built up due to the recent snow storm. I was thinking it was no big deal until that night when I went to turn my car on to warm it up. I parked in a cleared parking spot, free from snow. But as soon as I turned my car on, my steering wheel immediately starting turning over really fast by itself towards the opposite direction (to the left). And I saw a bit of smoke coming from the hood and it smelled like burning rubber coming my front left tire which was turned all the way to the left (the opposite one giving me trouble that morning). I should mentioned that my wheels ARE also still working fine with the steering wheel like they should. So then I turned my car off. Looked at the tires and didn't notice anything strange. I straightened my steering wheel/tires and tried to start it again, this time holding the steering wheel to see if i could prevent it from turning. The same thing happened again and it was so powerful and quick I couldn't even stop it. I haven't tried to drive it because I don't know how bad this is or if it's even drive-able? I didn't notice any other issues when I was driving to work that morning besides the "snow tire". I didn't go over any major bumps or potholes. And since I dont have 4WD I barely used it during the snowstorm. The tire is not flat. I keep googling why this could be happening and I can't find anything even close to what my car is doing. It is an '88 but it's in pretty decent condition for its age, and only has 156,000 on it. My grandparents were the original owners. I've had it for 3+ yrs now. Also, I have snow tires. It's never done anything like this before. I tried turning it on again today (a day later) and it's still doing the same thing! Please help!