Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

88 Accord LXI problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Accord LXI problems

I have an 88 accord, 5 spd, 300k miles. The last couple hundred miles it will pulse from 1500-2000 rpm when idling cold. At times it won't start at all, it will get to the point of almost turning over but nothing, it'll take me 8 tries to get it to start. When I'm driving at a steady speed and need to accelerate, or shift, it will bogg down, it will also do that when I am start from a stop.
It doesn't do this each and every time I drive, about 1 out of 3 trips. Any ideas?

Kyle
Old 03-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 88 Accord LXI problems

Check for codes.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Trial User

How do you check for codes?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's probably fuel, air, or spark. I know this seems obvious, but testing these is a great way to diagnose an old engine.

First, do a spark test. This is pretty easy. Pull out a spark plug wire and attach an old spark plug, if you have one. Hold it by the rubber boot and contact the spark plug to the engine. Start the car. You should be able to see a regular spark rhythm in the plug.

Next, I would check fuel supply. I didn't know much about this until I started having fuel problems with my 90 Accord. The fuel pump will prime the system with a splash of gas when you turn the car on (without starting it). If you've got an extra set of hands around, have him/her turn the key to ACC while you listen under the rear of the car for the fuel pump running.

If it isn't, that doesn't mean the fuel pump is out. Honda fuel pumps generally last several centuries (though with 300k, anything can happen), but what can sometimes happen (and happened with mine) is a Main Relay malfunction. Alot of times the circuit board in the main relay (which controls the fuel pump) gets a little cooked and only works when it feels like it.

So, before tearing out the fuel pump (not a particularly fun job, probably), dig under your dash for the main relay, pull it out, and take the cover off. If the solder points, even one of them, look brown and burned around the edges, that may be causing the problem.

A main relay generally runs at about 50 bones, so if you're handy with a soldering gun, you might want to try to repair it yourself (I inherited my dad's shaking hands, so I just bought a new one).

I would try that first. I replaced mine and my car is running even better than when I bought it almost 30k miles ago. Gas mileage has improved, and it starts very smoothly.

What do you guys think? Like I said, I didn't know much about this until I encountered the problem myself, so I could certainly be wrong.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How to get the codes.The ECU is under the driver seat. Slide it forward, pull the "little" plastic window open-pull from the top. turn the car to "on"-don't start just postion II -On. Count the flashes from the led on the computer....(I'll bet on code 6). Post or search for the codes.

Idle bouncing-Check your coolant level-do you have a leak? Have you done any work recently to the cooling system. If you have to add any, be sure to bleed the air out.

Bogging-If the above don't pan out or only resolve part of the issue. Has it been tuned up lately (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air and fuel filters, ect)? What about a good TB cleaning?