Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

88 Accord, FI engine, oil in air filter box

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Accord, FI engine, oil in air filter box

I changed the gasket between the oil filter mounting plate and the block as I've heard these have problems and can spew oil out under pressure but I'm still seeing a lot of oil.

Driving along, at random, tons of smoke but most of it from under the car and not out of the exhaust. Then again, at times some does come out of the exhaust and there's some oil in the tailpipe.

While on the lift the car has oil everywhere from the firewall back. Doesn't look like it's coming out of the engine seals but somewhere higher. I'm also seeing a drip out of the box that houses the air cleaner?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Re: 88 Accord, FI engine, oil in air filter box (marshallf3)

hmm that is indeed a crazy situation.. try running the engine with someone revving it.. check your oil filter to see if its spraying oil(could happen) as for the oil in the airbox.. check your breather(hose coming from valvecover).. disconnect the hose frm the cover and run the engine again with your buddy revving it then see if oil comes out of it.. if it is then youve got a problem.. im not too sure of this as its never happened to me but get it checked out.. keep us posted
Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check and clean out the breather from the valve cover to the intake. Also I'd replace the PCV valve (you'll be amazed how much better the car may run) and check all the hoses and the breather box. Any of that stuff gets clogged, it can blow oil out under engine load when crankcase pressure is at it's highest. And being above the exhaust, good chance it can drip onto it. Oil pan gasket is a possibility too.

A little oil up in the airbox is normal on an older car. Just clean it out and clean the mesh filter. The separator box should prevent most of that, so that's a good indication that everything is messy and gunked up.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Default Re: 88 Accord, FI engine, oil in air filter box (2ndGenGuy)

I unhooked the crankcase air supply hose that's hooked to the air cleaner end of the throttle body plenum, started the car and sure enough it was blowing the oil out of there. I removed the oil cap and it stopped, however there was a generous amount of what smelled like exhaust puffing out of the oil fill hole.

While I'm quite sure the PCV is plugged, just how much piston ring blow-by would one expect if that was the only place for it to escape?

The engine idles a little rough but still seems to run pretty well.

Oh, and this is the fuel injected engine, I didn't notice a spearator box.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:04 PM

you know whats crazy? i opened up the oil cap and have the same thing happeneing to me and ive wondered why thats happening.. also the rough idle is happening to me too and i just dont know why.. ive checked the idle controls and all that and even removed the idle solenoid.. but still runs rough then fine out of nowhere..