Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

'87 Honda Civic Si Won't Start!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 Honda Civic Si Won't Start!!

My car was running good and everything, however this weekend it would not start and i cannot figure out what it could be. I recently replaced the coil, cap, and rotor.. the main relay is good as i can hear the fuel pump prime.. It turns over but it will not fire. Maybe the igniter?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: '87 Honda Civic Si Won't Start!!

Do you have a spark when connecting a spark plug to a pull boot and resting it on the exhaust manifold shield -faster that removing the plug-

May be the new coil bit the dust... try to reinstall the old one.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Trial User

So today i finally got a chance to mess with it since washington doesn't provide so many days where it is not pooring down rain. Anyway checked my plugs for spark n had none so it was pretty apperant it was the new coil. It was garbage. So you were right letank, many thanks.. My 87 Si is running once again
Old 06-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lsancho
So today i finally got a chance to mess with it since washington doesn't provide so many days where it is not pooring down rain. Anyway checked my plugs for spark n had none so it was pretty apperant it was the new coil. It was garbage. So you were right letank, many thanks.. My 87 Si is running once again
Glad to see that it is running... where did you get the coil from?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Trial User

I got the coil from oreilly's... so just when i thought everything was good i tried to start it this morning and it was doing the same thing again. It did this yesterday but it eventually started.. i haven't checked to see if im still getting spark. Maybe i'm getting weak spark? I also attempted to change the fuel filter but that thing is impossible to get off... any tips on changing that?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Trial User

I might be able to get it started later.. but i need consistancy.. i can't have it be starting sometimes only you know? any help is greatly appreciated.. i love this honda.. and i refuse to ever give up on her
Old 06-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Trial User

oh yea and once i start it and drive it around, i can turn it off n it will start back up.. so maybe it's a cold start problem? i dunno..
Old 06-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lsancho
I got the coil from oreilly's... so just when i thought everything was good i tried to start it this morning and it was doing the same thing again. It did this yesterday but it eventually started.. i haven't checked to see if im still getting spark. Maybe i'm getting weak spark? I also attempted to change the fuel filter but that thing is impossible to get off... any tips on changing that?

the rear fuel filter is a pain... after you pull the plastic cover you need to pull the fuel filter holder - some fuel filter are not specs right and are impossible to put in- In my case I cut part of the fuel fitler retainer.

Check in the morning to see if you still have fuel in your carb.... remove air filter -another pain- and check the driver side of the carb for the little window that let you see the fuel bowl level... shake the carb to see the level- that could explain the hard starting.... which is more a lag time for the fuel pump to fill the carb bowl.... may be a failing fuel pump.... can be tested for appropriate pressure....I forgot the value ... and the way to hook up the fuel pressure gauge.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

his is fuel injected. i'm pretty sure it's the main fuel pump relay. mine does this every now and then. have you pulled it and re-soldered the connections?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Trial User

Yes mine is FI.. so i thought it might be the coil again so i put the old one in again and it started for a brief moment but then shut off again.. E-AT me, pulled it from the main relay? i haven't yet... you think this could be the problem? the fuel filter i was trying to change is the one on the passenger's side under the hood, on the fire wall. Could this be the problem though? i mean like i said it starts sometimes... when i switch coils. I am taking the newer one back to schucks today n getting another. We'll see how it goes, however the coils look fine, however i don't really know as i have not technically checked them.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

under hood fuel filter normally does not cause intermittent no start
Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Trial User

K guys after tinkering forever finally figured it out.. i noticed i only have spark sometimes. I pulled the spark plug cables and the plugs n cleaned them both.. the plugs were gross.. covered with deposits. The cables hadn't been replaced in i don't know how long n this stock engine has 15 k miles. Anyway after cleaning both the plugs and wires it started up perfectly.. also 2 of the plugs were so loose i took them out with only my hands. Turns out i just need new plugs and cables.. Crazy how such a simple problem can be so hard to diagnose. Thanks again to all you for the help and suggestions.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Trial User

195 k miles**
Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Trial User

Anyway now that i found out whats up i can move on, this my little project car.. eventually i plan to throw in another motor in this. What do you guys suggest? I want something that will go in easily. I don't need anything ridiculous.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

86-87 integra.