Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

87 honda civic, did i wreck something???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 87 honda civic, did i wreck something???

Ah, nothing like pulling a dumb move that makes you shake your head.
I hooked up my battery backwards on my 87 honda civic last night and blew one of the 3 fuseable links in the engine bay.
The car has been sitting for about 2 years, so i checked the oil and filter, and fixed the fuseable link that i just blew. It has not been fired up since i parked it.
It turns over just fine, but it took FOREVER to get it started. I had to assist it by pouring gas down the carb, and it would only run off the gas in the carb, then die.
After turning it over(the starter), stalling, and starting it up again about a hundred times, i finally got it to run by itself with the choke full on. But as soon as i give throttle, the car dies instantly.
My guess, is i fried the fuel pump. Will it still be able to run without the fuel pump, and just suck enough fuel by the suction created by the motor/carb, but when i give throttle, it cant pull enough fuel so it dies???
The car is 87 honda civic 1.5 carburated with manual choke and approx 100,000 original miles on it. It has sat for the last 2 years, and last time i drove it it fired up just fine.
Any help would be appreciated!
-mark
Old 09-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 87 honda civic, did i wreck something??? (unclejemima)

First, go here http://www.redpepperracing.com for info on 1g CRXs/3g Civics. Tons of information and very friendly and helpful people.

Now, are you sure your car has an electric and not mechanical fuel pump? I'm not sure about CDM Hondas, but USDM carbed 84-87 Civics/CRXs have a mechanical fuel pump run by an eccentric on the distributor end of the camshaft. Even if it is mechanical it still might not be supplying fuel because of too much rust in gas tank/plugged fuel line/plugged fuel filter/hole in the fuel pump diaphragm/etc. If it's electric, have you checked its fuse? Is it getting 12V power to the pump? Is it grounded properly? Go to redpepper and read the manual at the top of the page. Also, no it won't run if the fuel pump isn't working. Even if the fuel pump IS working it might not run because the main/idle jets in the carb are plugged by varnish/residue/rust/dirt/gremlins/etc or the float bowl valve is stuck or something. It might be worth your while to invest in a can of starting fluid to save your battery/starter/flywheel. Good luck.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 87 honda civic, did i wreck something??? (tjbizzo)

Thank you kindly for your response. Very fast indeed!
I will check out your link, and that is what i am trying to figure out, if the fuel pump is mechanical or electronic. I will keep this thread up to date on what i find, perhaps i can help another fellow out.
Take care,
-mark
Old 09-17-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: 87 honda civic, did i wreck something??? (unclejemima)

yes i am haveing a similler problem on my 1986 1.3l. civic it has also been siting for 2 years so if you chould please let me no wat you find out. thanks.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 87 honda civic, did i wreck something??? (Vegas_b7)

i'm guessing the gas is more gel than liquid and you "think" you got it all out, but probably didn't. if you run the feed line to a seperate gas "tank" then it will probably run.