Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

83 stalls when put in gear, idles fine otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 stalls when put in gear, idles fine otherwise

New purchase, had it delivered and it seemed to drive home 3 miles fine, but after about a week it began dying once I put it in gear. Starts and idles fine, cold or warm. Just putting it in D or R and it sputters, then dies. I see NOS and rebuilt carbs on ebay, should I just go that route and eliminate any issue with an original carb now 34 years old? I actually found a cheap NOS or rebuilt carb that is almost the same, but wonder if swapping a new carb might be a can full of worms, as it sometimes is....

ND all the vac lines look brand new, possibly recently replaced. Dealer who sold to me, specializes in older collectible cars on ebay, has quite good feedback, so I believe him when he says it ran great for the month they had it before the sale.

Any other thoughts on why it would die when put in drive or reverse, and not otherwise? Any mixture adjustments or other things I should know about the Kein carb before dropping it in? Anyone done a like for like Kein carb swap on the 81-83's before? Any tricks?

Also, google searches seem to point to IAC valves and Coils as possible culprits for the 3rd generation carbed accords, should I consider them relevant, or is my car/carb so unique as to make them unlikely?

thanks fellas...