Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

1987 Civic Hatchback Headlight Switch Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Civic Hatchback Headlight Switch Mod?

I use 3rd & 4th Gen Civics to commute with because they are the best around, but parts are getting hard to find for my 87.

My Windshield wiper Switch went out, so I replaced the assembly with one I pulled from the Junk yard...

The Wipers work now, but my Headlights won't come on any more. All other lights work fine, including the blinkers.

When I turn the switch my running lights come on, but the headlamps stay dark. I tried turning on the high beams, and still no headlamps. In fact, the High-beam indicator light doesn't come on either, so I don't think current is even making it that far... I guess I traded one problem for another, but it gets dark more often than it rains so I need to fix this soon.

My question is this: Can you install a 12v DC rocker switch on the dash and wire it to the harness instead of the stem switch on the steering column?

I don't want to spend any more money, but I don't want to fry anything by closing the wrong circuit.

I found a wiring diagram below, can I just install a switch that will connect the headlight wires to 12v DC?

http://www.redpepperracing.com/techn...g/aae.png.html
Old 11-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1987 Civic Hatchback Headlight Switch Mod?

Yeah, try owning a 2nd gen civic. None of the switches work even from the junk yard.

I recently bought a 4th gen light switch / WS wiper switch to adapt to the 2nd gen.

I would recommend trying to see if the 4th gen will adapt to the 3rd gen. There is a lot going on on the wiring harness to be experimenting with a rocker switch and risk a wiring harness meltdown. 4th gens seem to still be reasonably available in junkyards still. 2nd and 3rds are rarely seen here in Houston area junkyards.

I figure if you have enough smarts to do a rocker switch retrofit you should have the talent to retrofit a 4th gen switch. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

fuse(s), forgot if there is a relay(s)

Yes you can install your own switches, I have one on the old jeep with relays.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Unpaid Intern
Can you install a 12v DC rocker switch on the dash and wire it to the harness instead of the stem switch on the steering column?
There's probably a relay involved in the headlight circuit, better use a pretty high amp rated rocker switch if you're going to wire them directly.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Unpaid Intern
I use 3rd & 4th Gen Civics to commute with because they are the best around, but parts are getting hard to find for my 87.

My Windshield wiper Switch went out, so I replaced the assembly with one I pulled from the Junk yard...

The Wipers work now, but my Headlights won't come on any more. All other lights work fine, including the blinkers.

When I turn the switch my running lights come on, but the headlamps stay dark. I tried turning on the high beams, and still no headlamps. In fact, the High-beam indicator light doesn't come on either, so I don't think current is even making it that far... I guess I traded one problem for another, but it gets dark more often than it rains so I need to fix this soon.

My question is this: Can you install a 12v DC rocker switch on the dash and wire it to the harness instead of the stem switch on the steering column?

I don't want to spend any more money, but I don't want to fry anything by closing the wrong circuit.

I found a wiring diagram below, can I just install a switch that will connect the headlight wires to 12v DC?

http://www.redpepperracing.com/techn...g/aae.png.html
you make sure that all your bulbs are good??? on bad bulb and the whole circuit wont work.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

Switch contacts weren't seated correctly. I got the junk yard switch working.

The little arm that pushes the slide switch forward for the headlights (when you turn the ****) wasn't seating right. I prodded it into place with a screw driver and got the contacts working like they are supposed to.

Thanks for the suggestions: realred96, I'll keep the 4g mod in mind for next time. Sometimes my first instinct is to reinvent the wheel

letank & brady, thanks: knocking on wood that I don't have to, but good to know it is possible.

Thanks all!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the switch assembly you need. Pmd...