Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

1987 Civic CRX HEAD Removed (FRESH PICS CLEAN HEAD)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Civic CRX HEAD Removed (FRESH PICS CLEAN HEAD)

sorry for my previous thread i was exhausted and didint pay attention to the valves i only looked at the springs i have a d15a2 with a Weber 32/36 DGEV Carburetor

i pulled the head today and i took pics of every disconnected hose or cable, gotta love 2011 (Yay for technology)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v442/ ... ead%20job/ <---- ALL PICS

in cylinder 1 and 4 had the water oil mix on the spark plugs, i took my time with it, as u see i took a pic of everything i disconnected, im gonna go to the library tomorrow and find the book so i can look up torquing specs, other than the water mixed into the oil, for an 87 with 208k its very clean compared to the head job my dad is doing on his 96 aspire with 160k

Last edited by gucci mane; 03-12-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1987 Civic CRX HEAD Removed (FRESH PICS CLEAN HEAD)

i put the motor all back together, and its pouring out white smoke and over heating, i dont know whats going on with it, the headgasket cant be bad, its firing fine, just pouring smoke after it warms up, and my clutch pedal is really tight now and the clutch wont engage 100%, it sounds way different now as well, the rice sound is wayyy more crisp than before, kinda bugs my ears now
Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

White smoke and overheating means that it must have a coolant leak, looks like it's on the head gasket level although you mentioned it couldn't be it. Did you have the head resurfaced in a shop? If not then small scratches may have made the gasket to fail when the engine heats up -> the scratches move a bit and bite into the gasket when it cools down, and eventually you'll be facing a blown one.

Last edited by Sera_; 03-12-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the head with a flat edge to see if it was square, and did you get all of the old gasket material off the head/block?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sera_
White smoke and overheating means that it must have a coolant leak, looks like it's on the head gasket level although you mentioned it couldn't be it. Did you have the head resurfaced in a shop? If not then small scratches may have made the gasket to fail when the engine heats up -> the scratches move a bit and bite into the gasket when it cools down, and eventually you'll be facing a blown one.
long story short i was chasing someone down and the car was smoking and over heating very bad, i drove it to autozone it died twice along the way and then it wouldnt turn on anymore..

i removed the head, cleaned both surfaces, the surface on the head was smooth as could be, and the block surface was superb... i just dont see it being the head gasket, but if it blows again ill take ur word for it that i gotta get another head.... might as well get a EW1 or a d16 if im gonna keep the car.... i think im gonna part it out if i cant resolve this issue so i can make most of my money back

so there is no other possible explanation for why its over heating and blowing smoke other than a faulty head gasket??

Originally Posted by gentek1145
Did you check the head with a flat edge to see if it was square, and did you get all of the old gasket material off the head/block?
yes i checked the head, it wasnt warped, now the block..... i honestly dont remember if i checked it, but if you looked at my pics you would see that the head surface and block surface were perfect

Last edited by gucci mane; 03-13-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Trial User

Pull the plugs, if it is 1 or 2 (showing signs of coolant) you likely have a head gasket leak or cracked water jacket in the head or block. If it is all 4 you could of hooked up a coolant line to the intake manifold incorrectly or have a crack/leak into the manifold. Likely the overheating issue is incomplete filling of the coolant system. Also if you hooked some vacuum up incorrectly you could be running very lean which would also cause overheating.

Do a compression test. Pull the radiator cap and start the engine are there bubbles?
Good luck.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Trial User

If you decide to part it out I wouldn't mind getting the vaccum advance if your car has one I have a 89 accord that won't start either
Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Genetically Gay

flush da cooling system and looks like u got crappy radiator.