Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 LXi 2.0 No Start

Have:

1986 Honda LXi 2.0
5sp Man

Symptom:

No start!
Cranks but acts as if no compression.

Sounds ALOT like this. I though maybe the starter Bendix went out but have witnessed the belts/engine turning while making the sound in this video. (Had someone crank while I watched) Acts as if zero compression. This video sounds like starter not engaging and would be the first thing I would think when hearing it by the way. Can't see any movement on the belts the way they video'd it though.

Then, I'll go out some other time and it will fire normally. Run like a top. Time of day and temperature seem to have no bearing on the situation.

Thanks for any direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wehWNpYwjY
Old 07-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 1986 LXi 2.0 No Start

Well I didn't get one response in either thread. Not one!

I kept at it on my own and thought I would update in case it might help someone.

A couple of background things. The vehicle was parked for close to two years. Put the jumper cables on it, hit the switch, fired up on the second turn and ran smooth. Went and put about 7 gallons of new fuel in with what was already in there. Not sure of the amount, gauge went while sitting.

Drove it home from a relatives house about 7 miles away. No problems. Decide to let it idle awhile to build battery. Shut down after about 30 minutes of run time.

Next day, put in bottle of Stabil and about 4 gallons of 93 Octane mixed together. Let sit for about 30 minutes. Hit the switch. Sounds like in the video. Won't run. MOTHERF@$#%ER!

Led me to here. No answers.

I start looking for typical things.

Look to see the valves are moving when cranking. Still could have jumped time but I doubt it. Decide to remove a sparkplug. Look at it. Smells like old gas, still! Hmmm..... Put the plug in the boot and cranked since I had it out. Wanted to see if there was spark there.

Witnessed no spark. None. But the car sounds like it gains compression while cranking and actually starts on 3 cylinders! Shut it down.

I clean up the spark plug with starting fluid. Put it back together. Crank. It makes a sound when cranking between no compression while turning and then compression trying to fire.

I know it's FI but decide to press the gas and it begins getting better, better, RUNNING. Smoke then seems to run fine.

So when you get a symptom like I've had I think the first thing to rule out is bad gas. It fools you too 'cause there seems like no compression while the engine is turning.

Or like timing is off.

Then, there is no spark in the test I did. I have no idea why. Maybe a real mechanic can explain why I didn't get spark and now it is running fine as I type this. I did crank it long enough for spark to go through the distributor to each plug.

Regardless, running right now and not skipping.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you looked into a main relay?? i had a problem with my main relay in my 1989 Accord LX-i coupe and it started when it wanted to and it would drain the battery sometimes too
Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Doest it still have trouble starting?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Based strictly on the video I would say the starter is not fully engaging into the flywheel. You say the belts are turning but it sounds like a starter spinning. It would be cranking the engine at a pretty good click even if that was just the pistons.