Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

JDM Honda BEAT

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JDM Honda BEAT

Hello, wondering if there are any other BEAT owners lurking around here. Have recently imported one and debating on whether to keep it or sell. Photo because:

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2016, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: JDM Honda BEAT

Very nice, how's she run?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:32 AM
Trial User

Actually, she runs great. It was in awesome shape when it arrived. I was a bit surprised. About 68k kilometers (43k miles). Engine sounds great, shifts are smooth. I don't think I could have found any car domestically of that vintage in that good a shape (well, for that price). It's an absolute blast to run around town in. I've never had as much fun driving under the speed limit. Once you hit the highway, it's not as exciting, but fine for cruising.

I wasn't sure how that little engine would sound, but it rev's so high, it just sings. It's a bit addictive. I highly recommend one.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-06-2016, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep it!
Old 09-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What happened to your 'other' account? Were you banned?
Old 09-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
What happened to your 'other' account? Were you banned?
Nope. This is literally my first Honda. All VW's (and one BMW) until now. Never had an account before.

I just got the itch to import a car, and always thought the Beat seemed like an awesome car that I could never drive otherwise.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi
I have 3 Beats, 2 have been damaged, I hope to repair one of them. Remember you must change the timing belt every 10 years or 100,000 km do the water pump, a water pump cost me a motor. See www.hondabeat.com.au for parts and service books etc.

Last edited by Eric-AU; 05-28-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Trial User

Wow...is this literally the only thread on the Honda Beat?
I just ordered a Beat, and came here looking for info.
I expected quite a lot more than a less than one page thread with no replies in almost a year.

Kinda sad.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-10-2018, 06:44 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolby109
Wow...is this literally the only thread on the Honda Beat?
I just ordered a Beat, and came here looking for info.
I expected quite a lot more than a less than one page thread with no replies in almost a year.

Kinda sad.
This forum is based in the United States. The Beat was never offered in our local market, so the only way to attain one for the vast majority of members here... is to import one.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:11 PM
Trial User

I know. I just figured there'd be a handful of US owners by now (3 years in), and/or other knowledgeable people.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:21 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolby109
I know. I just figured there'd be a handful of US owners by now (3 years in), and/or other knowledgeable people.
In the years I've been here, I've seen 3 total Honda Beats mentioned.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ECUs get wet, or their capacitors fail, and replacement parts are cheap and ECUs can be bought for \30,000 or so on Yafuoku.
Parts are plentiful, and easy to get otherwise.
That's about all I know, except that I stop and photograph them whenever I can.
Two from recent #touring:

Last edited by toyomatt84; 03-19-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey wondering where which website would have a hard top for my 91 beat. thanks
Old 09-16-2019, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tristan Charles
hey wondering where which website would have a hard top for my 91 beat. thanks
Easy!
Yafuoku... and a simple hard top search.
Hard top for 250,000 or a whole car, with hard top for 550,000 - the choice is yours!

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2019, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NEED A SERPENTINE BELT FOR MY PP1. WHAT DO I DO i will pay you to find me a belt
Old 09-30-2019, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tristan Charles
NEED A SERPENTINE BELT FOR MY PP1. WHAT DO I DO i will pay you to find me a belt
Where are you?
There are Beat in the UK and the US now, and I would bet consumables are available through a number of outlets accordingly.

Yafuoku has belts listed, and you should be able to use a proxy service to buy as well?

I charge 500% commission these days...
Old 11-22-2019, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep it! Classic and great looking car. I'm curious, what are rules for importing a car into the US that isn't available domestically? How do you deal with it being street legal, smog, etc?
Old 12-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

USA has a 25-year import rule (as in, no longer requirements federally to meet), and Canada has a similar law but only 15-years.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey everyone! Just returning after a few years absence and I’m just about to add a Beat to my Honda Fleet!
Its a shame there isn’t more support on here for US owners.
Yeah I’ll need to look into finding a timing belt kit and I’d love to find an OEM rear spoiler as well!
Old 08-28-2021, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey all!

Question: having some sudden issues and a little nonplussed. I’m from the classic ACVW world, so all this Honda electronics is a little of a steep learning curve.

Background: this is my daily-driver and I put about 30miles a day on him. Almost never use for short trips, so always gets to temp before turnoff, and before I run above 5000rpm. Run regular petrol. Have not yet flushed transmission, and I’m due soon for an oil change.

The battery has been flat for months and I’ve been starting with a jump-box. Have been quoted over $300 to replace the battery (or, alternately, to replace the battery with a reasonably-priced one and then swap out the lead wires, as it’s got odd sized posts).

Recently been smelling of sulfur for about a week. Lately noticed the trip-odometer snagged up at 9/10 and stopped counting. Then yesterday had the tach and speedometer start being erratic and then stand at zero. The engine had a bit of odd accelerator response at this time; shuddering under throttle from a stop.

I’m going to take it a turn around the neighborhood today, but I’m hoping it’s something simple:
• will pull fuses and look at them
• will check fuel filter
• will check and see if the ECU has got wet (damnit I need a new roof!)

Questions:
Could this be a pretty simple issue with some portion of the fuel delivery system?
Has this something to do with the electronic components within the throttle?

Forgive my ignorance: the closest I’ve got to any experience in this is the analog electronic control unit in my electronic fuel injection on my ‘71 Type3 Volkswagen.

Thanks y’all!

Last edited by BeatMe; 08-28-2021 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-30-2021, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BeatMe
Hey all!

Question: having some sudden issues and a little nonplussed. I’m from the classic ACVW world, so all this Honda electronics is a little of a steep learning curve.

Background: this is my daily-driver and I put about 30miles a day on him. Almost never use for short trips, so always gets to temp before turnoff, and before I run above 5000rpm. Run regular petrol. Have not yet flushed transmission, and I’m due soon for an oil change.

The battery has been flat for months and I’ve been starting with a jump-box. Have been quoted over $300 to replace the battery (or, alternately, to replace the battery with a reasonably-priced one and then swap out the lead wires, as it’s got odd sized posts).

Recently been smelling of sulfur for about a week. Lately noticed the trip-odometer snagged up at 9/10 and stopped counting. Then yesterday had the tach and speedometer start being erratic and then stand at zero. The engine had a bit of odd accelerator response at this time; shuddering under throttle from a stop.

I’m going to take it a turn around the neighborhood today, but I’m hoping it’s something simple:
• will pull fuses and look at them
• will check fuel filter
• will check and see if the ECU has got wet (damnit I need a new roof!)

Questions:
Could this be a pretty simple issue with some portion of the fuel delivery system?
Has this something to do with the electronic components within the throttle?

Forgive my ignorance: the closest I’ve got to any experience in this is the analog electronic control unit in my electronic fuel injection on my ‘71 Type3 Volkswagen.

Thanks y’all!
Welcome to the world of quirky K cars!
First I would highly recommend better fuel. Remember the Japanese fuel rating system RON is different from ours. If you are running 87 I would suggest trying 89 or higher octane especially since these are very high compression engines.

Second, unless the battery is a dry cell or deep cycle (which you really don’t need) then simply go to Walmart and pick up an EverStart Battery for a 1991 Mazda Miata for $100. It’s a simple fix and the terminals will fit despite what some may say. Plus the Miata battery is smaller and closer to the size and weight of the oem battery vs the Honda Fit battery some use which is taller and heavier.

As for the the sulfur smell that is usually your catalytic converter.

Trip odo buttons always seem to go bad but you can easily order a new one on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Tach/ Speedo issue can be a few things from minor corrosion to mother board damage. Best thing to do first is remove the gauge cluster, open the back and see what condition it’s in. It’s very common to see corrosion on these cars.

Ah the engine. It’s a good engine, but like most British cars it’s the supporting electronics that fail it.
Im going through this right now.
First make sure your fuel pump is working. Listen for it to prime when you turn your ignition key to the second position with out turning it over.
If you are getting fuel then check for spark. Check your spark plugs and make sure you are getting spark next. If not then check your igniter module and ignition coil (both located against the firewall).
If that’s not it then possibly the distributor or Main Relay or ECU.
All three of those are known to fail quite commonly on this car and I personally have had to replace all of them this Summer.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions. Also the Honda Beat US Owners Group on Facebook is another great resource.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

The sulphur smell was the battery. It was a Japanese one which had maintenance holes on top which had begun to leak sulphuric acid.

Local walmarts want over $500 for a Miata battery, but batteriesPlus did me good (exact size and shape) for $135. I replaced the lead-ends and we’re back up and running. All other symptoms fixed with this replacement.

thanks for info on the trip clock…perhaps I’ll spray with some cleaner, but I don’t use it and don’t really want to tear apart the dash just yet. My plan is to paint all the interior plastic as it’s rather faded.

Anyone have a line on OEM paint in our two shades of grey?

next project is to replace the valve cover gasket. Is this a universal E07A gasket which also fits the Acty? Seems to be, but would dig confirmation.

After that, timing belt as it was last done at 118k and I am at 168k now.

Thanks again!

Last edited by BeatMe; 09-10-2021 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 09-28-2021, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I own a 91 Honda Beat. Seen a few posts, but no dedicated section or enough owners to even justify one. I myself only did a new members introduction. Biggest community is the US Owners Group on Facebook. Quite a few Beat owners in the US already just not on forums.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheTinyPP1
I own a 91 Honda Beat. Seen a few posts, but no dedicated section or enough owners to even justify one. I myself only did a new members introduction. Biggest community is the US Owners Group on Facebook. Quite a few Beat owners in the US already just not on forums.

Yeah, it’s super unfortunate the only groups are on facebook. I refuse to have an account there, so will make it my mission to re-accumulate that information here.
Thankfully, much of the data on Zuckerburg’s money-generator is publicly accessible without first surrendering your personal details by logging in, so links to files and such can be shared in this forum easily enough.
Also, I follow you over on Insta (another Zuck $ generator) and think your car is absolute fire! Love the white details!

Quick Reply: JDM Honda BEAT