Notices
AWD Conversion Forum This forum is to help with the recent advent of new AWD conversions. Got a question? Ask it here. Got an answer? Drop the knowledge here

K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: About 200whp shy of a 10 second street car

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
I really like how nasty vtec is with the tuner series cams, also my buddy that does the short block assemblys around here has had a rod and piston b20v that I tuned over 3 years ago on 11.6lbs with skunk2 tuner 2s making 368whp (bbg solenoid wasn't working and we never got around to turning it up lol) motor still runs like it did the day I tuned it. I have been noticing the turbo cars I tune with bigger cams can take allot more ignition timing and are less knock limited, one example was a 2.0l turbo gsr on tuner 2s that on 20lbs I ended up with 26 degrees of timing, I was blown away by that setup, I could have put it on close to 30lbs on pump gas and that motor would have been happy. I really wanna make at least 450 to all 4 tires by next spring in this car on pump gas and I think that will be very achievable on the right setup.

On a side note I got some new jack stands today in the mail so the crx is getting torn down for build 2. Kind of bitter sweet, I was getting ready to take the head off and I'm gonna miss this little non vtec setup for sure. The head was so pretty and I did have allot of time into it, unfortunately when I first built the car 350whp was still cool, now if your not making 400+ your ***** weak lol. I've been tuning a ton of really nasty cars this year so I gotta jump on the band wagon too.
Holy **** dude 20psi with 26 degrees on pump gas sounds absolutely insane to me haha. I understand that big cams will lower your dynamic compression ratio and will want more ignition timing, but that’s crazy. Free flowing equal length manifolds and low exhaust back pressure all seem to work together to make good power. Now that I have a bigger turbo maybe I’ll try some bigger cams out. Making power out to 9k sounds fun!
Old 08-31-2018, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

That's exactly what they did. It had a fairly low static compression ratio mixed with large lift large duration cams and free flowing parts equals a really happy pump gas motor. I swear I could have put that motor on 30lbs no problem. It was lighting up tires in 4th in a Em1 chassi.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-01-2018, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It was a little bittersweet tearing this thing down. I had so much time invested into this p75 head. I loved the idle of the car and the powerband was pretty amazing too. Hoping this b16 head will be worth it. I ended up picking up a set of crower stage 3 cams got the b16 head for dirt cheap off this forum. My buddy Elmer has the same cams and his setup made real close to 500whp on 17lbs. One piece at a time. Also got my new hawk pads and mini 280mm rotors in for the budget big brake kit I'm doing. Just need to pick up a set of da knuckles as I have dc ones but they suck ***** for ef/crx I guess

Old 09-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Going to wrinkle black it and file the logo to stand out.

Just a quick mock up to make sure everything will clear.
Picked up a victor x eddlebrock intake manifold today and bought a set of crower stage 3 all motor cams from a ht member the other day. Going to be filling the block with moroso block filler soon, I have no idea how long the b20 sleeves will hold so I am picking up a gsr block to send out to css, that motor will end up with 81.5mm Nippon pistons and skunk2 Rods and a ls crank in it eventually. Maybe better pistons idk though gotta research some more.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell yeah man gonna be a top end monster! IMO stock sleeves = nippon cast pistons, css or sleeved = forged pistons. Hey I’m curious what your current det can setup is?
Old 09-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what ive been using. Pretty simple mechanical det can. I'm gonna add some sound deadening to the inside of them to isolate external noise even further. Using a quality set of ear muffs makes a huge difference.

No longer using that clamp on style connector. I use a 0 gauge electrical lug and bolt it to the 14mm power steering bracket holes usually. Top and closest top and most inward hole seems to be the best.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok nice mine is very similar to that. I did pick up a quality stethoscope headset that I’m going to try out when I put my car back on pump gas for winter. Just not sure if it will block out all the background noises as well as the ear muff style does. It will be easier to put on and take off tho lol. Get some funny *** looks driving around with knock ears on haha.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I'm kinda used to that now lol. I just started tuning with these last November but I do feel that they make a huge difference in dialing in timing and making sure there's no knock. I've had really odd cars that would knock when you'd really least expect it and without these I wouldn't have been able to hear it over the exhaust.

Also on a side note, not turbski related or anything but I got kind of tired of how nasty the del Sol seats I got for $20 looked and I had a customer come in with what i thought were new leather del Sol seats only to find out they were in custom seat covers. The covers are made by igee seat covers and are $140 for the pair on eBay. They fit super snug and are supposed to look even Better once broken in. So far I like them, I couldn't find any decent race seats for a reasonable price locally and didn't wanna get some budget looking seats so I pulled the trigger on these.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive build these electronical knock ears and it works great. U can use 2 sensors if ur using 2 wire..v8 and so..but im using it only for 4 cyl..sry its in germanBosch knock ears

Last edited by 1HGEJ2; 09-02-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I started on tear down and portwork on my b16 head this evening. Unfortunately on further inspection I found three small cracks in between the valve seats on cylinders two and three. Kind of a bummer deal but **** happens with 25 year old used parts lol. I have an almost complete head I bought for $20 that has cam journal damage on the last two journals on the intake side and one on the exhaust journal all the damage is nearest the cam gear side of the head. I'm gonna try a little diy repair on the head and see if i can't get it to work, if not no biggie, it will give me a fun project to keep my hands busy. I was reading about repairing cam journals on the google and came accoss one guy who said he had filed down the cam cap and head a small amount then installed the cams with a little bit of lapping paste, turned them till they came out smooth and then polished them. It might be a big waste of time but it would be cool if it works. I'll make sure to post pics of the process if the results are good.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DIY projects are the best. Interested to see how those cam journals turn out. I actually replaced all my valve guides in my vtec head on my current build, I picked up a bare gsr head for a deal but the guides were really worn. I bought all the tools and knocked the oem guides out with an air hammer and guide driver bit, then used the same tool to drive the bronze guides in. Then I bought the right size reaming bit with bronze cutting oil and used my drill to slowly open up the guides until the valve moved freely. I was able to lap all the intake valves in no problem, but the exhaust side I had used valves from a couple different heads that wouldn’t lap in all the way so I had the machine shop do a valve job on the exhaust side only. That saved me a ton of money overall, even with buying the tools to do it. While researching how to do it most people said it couldn’t be done at home and “leave it to a professional” lol.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunately people like to have that mind set allot. I was actually starting to slip into that a little bit because I was worried about the b20 sleeves and thinking oh I should just spend 2k on a sleeved block or buy an already assembled motor but then I realized **** it, the whole reason this sport is fun to me is to try to push the limits on **** and see what you can make it do. You can't fail if you don't try I guess. But if you try odds are you'll learn something from it.

Its kinda sad to see how dead these forums are compared to how they were, im sure everyone's migrated to fb to use instead of forums but fb doesn't stick around and you can't search the same as you can for ht threads from years ago. I feel like the forums are dying off.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Resprayed wrinkle black

Da cracks

and the current cam journal damage. I have quite a few cam caps from the 3 heads total I've acquired for peanuts.

This one is the worst out of them. Has aluminum galling up on it.

And more pics because why not, none of us on here know how to read we just like pictures.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

That intake looks really good! Now that I think about it, one of my cam journals had some scoring also. It wasn't that bad though. The place that did the work to it said it would be fine since it wasn't protruding, but I could sand it lightly if I wanted. I don't believe I did any sanding, but mine was mild.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I've worked on quite a few motors that either had the timing belt way too tight or the cam caps over torqued with scared journals. I'm excited to see how lapping them with some stock cams goes, I thought it was a pretty brilliant idea when I first read it.

on a side note I did a thing today. Moroso block filler in the b20, no idea if it will hold, my engine builder buddy has great expectations for it but the way I see it is all the devcon or filled blocks I've seen when cracked at least held together and didn't hurt the internals of the motor so if at the very least it does that I will be happy. I decided to fill just the top 1" of the coolant jacket after seeing a cut away at a css block. I used sugar to fill the water jacket up to 1" then I had a straw that I measured out and luckily found a washer from a battery terminal that slipped over it nice and snug and slid that to the 1" mark. I held the straw around the putter and inner jacket and did laps essentially to get the sugar all the same level along with tapping the block with a hammer. Once that was done I slipped a eBay hg off the b20 onto the alignment Dowels and slipped Straws as deep as I could into the sugar to keep them in place. I left out the ports nearest where the sleeves meet to hope to add additional strength and we will just have to wait and see how it does. Rods should be here next week along with the cams and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn you’re doin work man! That manifold did turn out awesome, I thought it was a new one at first glance lol. Are you keeping the engine in the car for this whole process? Seems like cleaning all the sugar out will be a pain while in the car. Looks good though!
Old 09-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Damn you’re doin work man! That manifold did turn out awesome, I thought it was a new one at first glance lol. Are you keeping the engine in the car for this whole process? Seems like cleaning all the sugar out will be a pain while in the car. Looks good though!

no I just did it in the car because I didn't have an engine stand right now and you need to level the block so I just leveled it on jack stands lol. And yeah the manifold looks killer in person, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I used masking tape and then a file to trim all the edges and it turns out super clean. I'm gonna let the block harden for about 2-3 weeks then I'll pull it, tear it down and have it bored to 84.5 for the pistons as well as have it decked. I need to get cracking on this head but I've been playing video games with my little guy when he's home but that's been fun. I need to pull the trigger on ordering valve springs and retainers also. Not sure if I wanna buy valves for it too or not yet.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some work done on the head today. Compared to porting a p75 head I can already tell there will be so much less work I really need to do to this B16 head. I've actually only ported p75 and p8r heads so this is kind of a treat, especially since it was a $20 head 😎. I still need to relapp the journals but I gotta swing by my buddy's shop to pick up a pair of stock cams to do it. If anyone needs a good cheap degreaser the red bottle dog dollar tree carpet cleaner work amazing, especially with a pressure washer or even better a steam cleaner.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice build man, coming along great!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man!

started lapping the cam journals in the head tonight. I think I got rid of any high spots on the exhaust cam journals, still need to do the intake cam which is a bit more fawked up. I also need to find some sort of polisher to put in there once I get it all down just to make myself feel better about the whole thing. Doesn't look all that great but it's smooth to the touch with some minor low spots but I don't think that will cause any oil pressure issues since the oil can drain out of the headstuds holes in the cam journals anyways.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my skunk2 rods in the mail today. They look beautiful and should work perfect with these Nippon pistons.

Also sold my ducati 848, bought it a few months ago, it was fun to ride for a few months but selling this means I don't have to feel bad about dumping a little cheddah into the crx. Got a full hydro clutch master, slave and line coming as well as a -8 feed line for it and fuel filter. Ordered up some crower valve springs and retainers and I'll be ordering some ferrea 6000 turbo valves for it also soon. Debating on a twin disc for it but I'd need to research them all for a while before I can pull the trigger on one.

​​​​​​
Old 09-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some da knuckles from the junk yard today. Unfortunately the drivers side needs a new wheel bearing pretty bad. This is my big brake upgrade for the car. Mini Cooper 280mm rotors, crv calipers and hawk hps pads. Super stoked how well they fill up the wheels.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks damn good man! Did you get npr piston rings with your pistons? The last 2 sets of npr ring sets I got had the 2nd ring gap at .035” right out of the box, my buddy had the same experience too. All the other rings were go to go though.

Damn I wish your thread didn’t get moved. You’d get a lot more response in the FI section. This is a FI build too, I don’t get it lol.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I almost couldn't find this thread, lol.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Looks damn good man! Did you get npr piston rings with your pistons? The last 2 sets of npr ring sets I got had the 2nd ring gap at .035” right out of the box, my buddy had the same experience too. All the other rings were go to go though.

Damn I wish your thread didn’t get moved. You’d get a lot more response in the FI section. This is a FI build too, I don’t get it lol.

i thought it would be cool in the ef section but you guys are the only ones who have replied lol. Basically right now I'm just waiting on parts to come as well as the carbide Bits I ordered for portwork and the block to harden more. If the ring gap ends up too far off I'll order another set of rings. I'm really excited for the car but at the same time I'm trying to have patience and just enjoy the build process.

Quick Reply: K7-1Ktrevor's AWD CRX build, 500whp or bust