Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   AWD Conversion Forum (https://honda-tech.com/forums/awd-conversion-forum-171/)
-   -   Awd conversion for road race not drag? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/awd-conversion-forum-171/awd-conversion-road-race-not-drag-3333576/)

01-0720 02-08-2019 04:42 AM

Awd conversion for road race not drag?

Has anybody done a awd conversion on a civic for improved handling and traction instead of drag racing ? Love to see the setups , springs rates sway bar sizes etc and some results see how the car has improved

all Iv seen so far is drag racing

K7-1Ktrevor 02-08-2019 06:46 AM

Re: Awd conversion for road race not drag?

I built my crx for just an all around fun car, multi purpose. So far the handling feels pretty rock solid. It definitely pushes through the corners and pulls right out.

DarryCar 02-08-2019 09:04 PM

I haven't gotten my car on a legit track yet. I mostly drive it on the streets and the drag strip. The only difference I see on the streets/highways is that the ass doesn't lose traction like it used to. It has always handled pretty well with all of the suspension and brake upgrades I have done. The only time I change my spring rates is on the drag strip and I usually just stiffen up the rears. I am curious to see how it does on a course though. I have an air locker in the rear diff, so when it is on it is fully locked. There is no give to the rear wheels like the conventional RT4WD system provides. In all honesty though the AWD conversion was hands down the best thing I did to that car. It is so fun to drive and I was so sick of the wheel spin and loss of traction.

Aquafina 02-09-2019 07:04 AM

With the way RT4WD works, it isn't really viable for improved handling. It isn't an actual AWD system.

K7-1Ktrevor 02-09-2019 07:19 AM

🤔 idk about all that man. Mine definitely has traction when it would normally be lighting up tires exiting a corner with power.

Aquafina 02-11-2019 07:06 AM

Of course, it is splitting the power between two additional wheels. It is not functioning as an AWD setup to improve handling (Subaru, EVO, GTR, etc). Traction and handling are not the same thing.

DarryCar 02-11-2019 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Aquafina (Post 51856269)
With the way RT4WD works, it isn't really viable for improved handling. It's isn't an actual AWD system.

Which is why I put a locker on the rear diff. People try shimming the press springs for the clutches to get them to lock up sooner/faster. That wasn't to quite work for what I wanted to do, so I gutted the pumps in the diff and ran an air locker through it with an on/off switch. So it is either fully locked or not working at all. Good and not so good.

exgr 02-12-2019 07:50 AM

After the Cali IFO race coming up soon, the Wicked 1 DNR guys and I will probably put a all motor basic engine into one of their AWD EG drag cars and I will goof around to evaluate if it's road race worthy. I don't see why not... but I'm very curious myself.

Ryanthegreat1 02-13-2019 05:19 PM

My experience with the VC style AWD found in the EF Wagon is that it tends to push the front pretty bad in the wet. Maybe too tight? Flipping the disconnect lever makes the push go away.

Have not had a chance to play with the dual pump AWD.

JDMCRX 03-07-2019 06:49 AM

i guess we will have to see this summer how the CRV awd systems work for handling !!

I will be doing a EM1 and CRX awd set up starting soon.

XxRoCkMaNxNEOxX 10-22-2019 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by JDMCRX (Post 51881009)
i guess we will have to see this summer how the CRV awd systems work for handling !!

I will be doing a EM1 and CRX awd set up starting soon.

I would be interested in finding this out.

Ive been thinking the same on AWD for road racing

FormerMember 10-23-2019 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by XxRoCkMaNxNEOxX (Post 52034807)
I would be interested in finding this out.

Ive been thinking the same on AWD for road racing

I watch Netflix and on "fastest car 2nd season" this guy turned his honda into AWD and raced a super car it grabbed but he missed a gear and lost but the track runs were really fast check it out maybe he has a page on how he did it

XxRoCkMaNxNEOxX 12-02-2019 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by FormerMember (Post 52035381)
I watch Netflix and on "fastest car 2nd season" this guy turned his honda into AWD and raced a super car it grabbed but he missed a gear and lost but the track runs were really fast check it out maybe he has a page on how he did it

his car is mainly drag

01-0720 04-04-2020 07:25 PM

It's been about a year since I posted this

Anybody have some new expirence ? Specifically with the k's, crv/element awd components , maybe upgraded rear diff etc ?

Toptank0 07-24-2020 09:13 AM

yeah! Mine definitely has traction when it should be light up.

TurboLife 08-01-2020 10:01 AM

Make sure your center diff is adjustable and it will be great.

BigBoostin4Bang 08-29-2020 09:24 AM

Its been 1 year already anybody actually have any actual results of awd on road racing?

AZ_CIVIC 08-29-2020 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by BigBoostin4Bang (Post 52250247)
Its been 1 year already anybody actually have any actual results of awd on road racing?

Why not go out and build it and find out for yourself?

Jdm88ef90 02-10-2021 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by DarryCar (Post 51857578)
Which is why I put a locker on the rear diff. People try shimming the press springs for the clutches to get them to lock up sooner/faster. That wasn't to quite work for what I wanted to do, so I gutted the pumps in the diff and ran an air locker through it with an on/off switch. So it is either fully locked or not working at all. Good and not so good.

Hey DarryCar was wondering if you can go into detail on how you did your build I’m wanting to do it but want the option of an on/off switch like you are implieing

aw614 02-10-2021 10:35 AM

There is an IG user from Canada: luigimontanez_racing that is using awd kit for road racing, but not sure how the car is doing though.

DarryCar 02-10-2021 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jdm88ef90 (Post 52359053)
Hey DarryCar was wondering if you can go into detail on how you did your build I’m wanting to do it but want the option of an on/off switch like you are implieing

https://honda-tech.com/forums/awd-co...oject-3268963/

exgr 12-23-2022 05:45 PM

I'd like to see someone adapt either the Evo active center diff or the Nissan center diff to the Honda AWD chassis. :-)

Chance EG 12-29-2022 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by BigBoostin4Bang (Post 52250247)

ls joker 12-30-2022 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 52670766)

that evos suspension setup was annoying. Because you can see every little steering jerk and bump. And it would be bouncing almost like its going out of control

k20 teg was definitely haulin ass

Chrisfrom1986 12-30-2022 09:18 AM

Damn how do you miss a gear 4 times.