Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

WTF!? No wonder why cars are easy to steal!! Alarm placement question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF!? No wonder why cars are easy to steal!! Alarm placement question..

I was looking under the dash to get familiar with the layout and wires because I'll be installing my system next weekend and I almost craped my Fruit of the Looms. All the wires from the ignition and so on are right there just under the fuse box cover!!? Crap no wonder they just steal them like if they had the keys. I was even thinking of making some kind of protective panel to make it harder to access, but blaa that's tough. Anyway I'm going to remove the dashboard and find a hard place to access to put the alarm brain (Good idea? or do I place the alarm in the rear panels and extend the wires?) But my question is where do I splice into the ignition harness? At some point in the steering column, or maybe in the engine bay close to the firewall and then run the wires of the alarm back into the car?(I'm planning on locking the hood with a reinforcement and chain and lock stile lock). Any last minute advice is more than welcome.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF!? No wonder why cars are easy to steal!! Alarm placement question.. (Undepelo)

Ahhh welcome to the world of Security....well you could mount the system in a side panel ( there are plenty of dead spaces on the rex),under the radio housing,or even high in your dash...the choices are yours. Yes the wires are there in plain sight,but part of it is creating the illusion that nothing was modified...that means using similar material that oem uses. Look at your car the way a thief would...The quick smash and dash or that B16 would be a nice haul.
( can I get what i want quickly or do i need to move the car to a more secure location) and plan accordingly. Add redundant systems ( ie hood pin and a hood lock),cover all possible points of entry/vandalism ( glass,doors,hood,trunk/hatch,fuel door,jacking..etc)add multiple immobilzers ( ign,starter,fuel,ecu)add mutiple sirens or light systems ( stobes)...the list goes on.

one final note: Yes some of the items are $$$...I get it all the time. But in response by being on this site and reading post after post of " I just lost my car or had this stolen"...can you afford not to? I know its not as cool as the swap you are planning or the JDM mods you had done...but how would you feel if you can out from home...work...school..etc only to find an empty space where you know you parked and once it sinks in that all that time spent,sacrafices made and funds is just........... Gone

Chuck

Old 08-19-2002, 10:03 AM

Default Re: WTF!? No wonder why cars are easy to steal!! Alarm placement question.. (audioroach)

I see, but once the thief has intruded in my car he will know there is an alarm system. Assuming he enters the hood and defeats the horns and is now going to try to run with the car, will a well hidden alarm be to much of a problem? Let's say the wires are all hidden well in the OEM wires, wouldn’t he know they are in there? Doesn't he know how to sort threw them and connect the ones he wants? I was thinking something like exposing ALL the OEM wires, connecting the alarm, placing the alarm wires together with the OEM, and then spray painting them some nasty dark color like black or maybe a fluorescent green. Then wrapping them up. Also thought about removing the steering column cover at the ignition switch and covering the whole wires with thick goop to make it impossible to sort and splice. What do you think? Still don't know where to splice into the OEM wires...Thanks.

[Modified by Undepelo, 11:06 AM 8/19/2002]
Old 08-19-2002, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF!? No wonder why cars are easy to steal!! Alarm placement question.. (Undepelo)

remember time is the thiefs enemy.....say he gets into the hood and trashes the siren....now no noise...then moves onto defeat the alarm. If its very visable
under the dash its yanked out and then they go with biz as usual. You want to make this as hard a task as possible. Most work in groups...2 or more. Say,the car has an alarm...one guy is out by the hood...the other pops the door...open door siren triggers..pulls hood release while ripping out lower dash...outside guy job is to cut any wires that are connect to a siren or are added onto the battery.
This takes relatively a short time...and if you were to hear it you would think that someone "forgot" to disarm the alarm while getting in it. What ever you can do to prevent this is the goal.

Hope this helps.
Chuck
Old 08-19-2002, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF!? No wonder why cars are easy to steal!! Alarm placement question.. (audioroach)

HOODLOCKS ARE MY BEST NEW FRIEND!!!...hehe, it has yet to be connected to a secondary immobilizer though.