Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

What's wrong with my speakers mannn?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with my speakers mannn?

I replaced my head unit and stock speakers about 3 years ago and had a Bazooka dual sub box installed about 2 years ago. It kept me head banging happy for 6 months before something went wrong.

First, alternator noise creeped up so 2 RCA filters fixed that.
Second, it seems like all the speakers and sub box just have crazy distortion while turning up the bass on a low volume (and yes I have dynamat installed). I wondered if all my speakers are shot, or possibly the amps, or maybe the head unit?
I'm no doubt a noob so I figure using common sense that my Kickers are shot. And the amps are okay if they are still able to power the speakers, right? And the head unit should be okay I guess if the volume and the controls work, except for some reason the ability to isolate power from Left to Right to All, or Front to Back to All.

On another note, I did some testing and my mid and highs are okay on my speakers if the bass is turned all the way down on them but once the bass is up, all hell breaks loose. The sub box is now rattling and the subs sound shot once its turned up.
I got decent brand speakers (Kickers) and a Bazooka sub box. Pretty mid range stuff imo but should they really get f***** this fast?

A friend of mine with an aftermarket system on his RSX gave me his stock speakers so I can run some tests but the stocks seem to have a different type of connection where it looks like its suppsoed to "plug" into something like a wall outlet instead of having 2 wires wrapped around the prongs. Any suggestions as to how I'm supposed to tackle this?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What's wrong with my speakers mannn?

Please give us the model numbers of the amps, speakers. It will be easier to help you.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WDKWANG
I wondered if all my speakers are shot, or possibly the amps, or maybe the head unit?
I'm no doubt a noob so I figure using common sense that my Kickers are shot. And the amps are okay if they are still able to power the speakers, right?
It's probably not best to make these assumptions, yet.

Are you using the same amplifier to power the speakers AND the sub? If so, the problem may lie in the amplifier.

I noticed my two rear speakers making wierd noises a couple weeks ago. I figured the chances of both speakers blowing at the same time was unlikely, so I replaced the amplifier and everything worked perfectly.

To help you out, list some more details about your setup.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As mentioned, make and model numbers of HU, amp(s) speakers and sub(s).

Also, what amp is connected to what speakers/subs.

You also say "except for some reason the ability to isolate power from Left to Right to All, or Front to Back to All" what exactly do you mean, the balance and fade controls no longer work??? 94
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take your car to a shop! I,m sure someone there can hear what is wrong a whole lot easier than you trying to describe to us what is sounds like! They should do this for free. BTW one possibility is that your head unit is bad.