Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

What car alarm to get??? Too many to choose

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What car alarm to get??? Too many to choose

With all the thief in my area. I'm looking to get a decent alarm from my civic eg. I have one in there now but it went dead on me. I've try searching but there is soo many and I'm not an car alarm expert. I like somthing with a pager type that can handle good far range. Anyone has good car alarming system in your vehicle that you recommend. like me know. Maybe a couple hundred for an ok one??
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: What car alarm to get??? Too many to choose

Look at anything from DEI, [Viper, Clifford, Avital and so on]... http://www.directed.com/

Compustar also makes very good alarms... http://www.compustar.com/

If your on a tight budget maybe something from Ultra Start or Audiovox/Prestige... http://audiovoxproducts.com/prestige/security/ 94
Old 03-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fcm
Look at anything from DEI, [Viper, Clifford, Avital and so on]... http://www.directed.com/
Agreed cant really go wrong here

Originally Posted by fcm
Compustar also makes very good alarms... http://www.compustar.com/
Not bad alarms but they don't offer anything that cant be found in a DEI alarm that is better engineered IMO.

Originally Posted by fcm
If your on a tight budget maybe something from Ultra Start or Audiovox/Prestige... http://audiovoxproducts.com/prestige/security/ 94
I know nothing about these alarms.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was looking at python 991. Anyone use this one
Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a viper alarm and have no regrets
Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 PM
fcm
Old Fart

The 991 is a good unit, but it is an alarm/remote start combo unit, did you want remote start?
http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/pro...?ProductID=619 94
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Crimestopper's are decent budget minded units as well. Check out the Crimestopper SP-301 2-way alarm. Can usually find it for 60-80 bucks new. Good range, easy to install. The new 2-way remotes are rechargable too!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.clifford.com/products/pro...?ProductID=724

i'd recommend that alarm. i had no issues with it whatsoever
Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any dei alarm will do you good. As long as the install is good. And the right accesories add to the alarm. It will be effective.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
The 991 is a good unit, but it is an alarm/remote start combo unit, did you want remote start?
http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/pro...?ProductID=619 94
Yes, remote start is ok with me. I had it in the one I have now.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look or the python 5704p. Its the newer version with the smaller brain. Well I guess I should list them all. Viper 5901 is now the viper 5704v
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
Look or the python 5704p. Its the newer version with the smaller brain. Well I guess I should list them all. Viper 5901 is now the viper 5704v
I think I did got the 2012 model. Why is that the python and viper look alike?? Are they made by the same company? Which is better
Old 03-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

python isn't bad, personally i really like my compustar system. its a security and autostart with keyless. it gives you a full list of things that you can program, such as it will work for manual or auto trans, has a turbo cool down mode, you can have it start if the voltage level drops to a certain point(helpful if you leave your lights on) or if the temp gets to hot or to cold outside. also has an option to buy a 2 way lcd remote with over a 2 mile range, that will tell you the normal things, if a door is open, hood is open, trunk... also will tell you the temp in the vehicle and voltage that your car is sitting at. i'm an installer by trade and out of all of the security systems this one is the nicest that i've come across. it also has an optional add on module that you can buy for the sensors that will have a shock, tilt, and accelerometer all build in. if your looking for a security i wold say to at least give it a look.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by eg:R
I think I did got the 2012 model. Why is that the python and viper look alike?? Are they made by the same company? Which is better
They are both DEI alarms, Directed Elctronics, [the business "unit"] of DEI "makes" a lot of alarms, or I should say, DEI is a holding company that buys companies that make alarms.

Viper
Python
Clifford
Avital
Ready Remote
Astro Start
Auto Start
Auto Mate

Some products look the same because they are the same, just differant names, IMO Compustar makes an as good or better product. 94

Last edited by fcm; 03-31-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** Thieves!!!!

Ok with that said alarms are just a start. DEI is good but I would also invest in a Zoombak GPS tracking device or LoJack.

Well worth keeping your car safe.

I have a friend who use to jack cars before he grew up. He said alarms are very easy to get passed. He showed me how easy on my car!!!

Even quick releases suck as well. At least NRG releases do. Took him 5 sec to take it off. I am glad he is my friend and not into that **** anymore.

But zoombak is pretty dope. I got it and like it. 150 for device and 300 for 2 year unlimited real time tracking!!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LooneytoonzCRX
**** Thieves!!!!

Ok with that said alarms are just a start. DEI is good but I would also invest in a Zoombak GPS tracking device or LoJack.

Well worth keeping your car safe.

I have a friend who use to jack cars before he grew up. He said alarms are very easy to get passed. He showed me how easy on my car!!!

Even quick releases suck as well. At least NRG releases do. Took him 5 sec to take it off. I am glad he is my friend and not into that **** anymore.

But zoombak is pretty dope. I got it and like it. 150 for device and 300 for 2 year unlimited real time tracking!!
Well maybe if you did you alarm correctly from the start. It would not be easy to bypass. Zoombak sucks if installed in any location that would make it hard from a theif to get to or not notice. I proved that. Look into mobile iq or computrack for a real gps unit.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
Well maybe if you did you alarm correctly from the start. It would not be easy to bypass. Zoombak sucks if installed in any location that would make it hard from a theif to get to or not notice. I proved that. Look into mobile iq or computrack for a real gps unit.
So there can Be a wrong way to install an alarm system? I never install one my self but had the alarm people do it. Should I do the install myself then??
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to toss this out there.. on newer cars with a lot of stuff tied into the CAN system (BCM etc), it's hard to beat a compustar combined with an Idatalink ADS Blade interface module. It's one sweet setup to work with
Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eg:R
So there can Be a wrong way to install an alarm system? I never install one my self but had the alarm people do it. Should I do the install myself then??
I've done about five to six installs so far and I can honestly say even with my little experience, I can spot a bad install with only a few seconds of time under the dashboard. There are many tricks you can do to your install to make it clean and seamless (almost as if there is no alarm at all) that only you or an experienced installer will take the time out to do. Paying Best Buy or any random audio install shop +/-450-500 bucks to do an install gets you nothing but a bunch of t-taps and twisted wires with the brain tucked underneath just enough that it doesn't fall out.

Take some time and put in effort on a lot of research on how this stuff works and installing it on your own isn't bad and it teaches you a lot about your abilities to troubleshoot and know your way around your own vehicle that much more.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bringing this back from the dead. Im researching alarms right now and was wondering:

Regardless of install, just by looking at the alarm itself, what is the big differences between $600 unit and $200 unit.

Lets say this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Viper-5901-LC...d8cc8bf&_uhb=1

And this:

http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/pro...?ProductID=619

Because at the price point there is drastic difference, but would both alarms work equally well?

Im looking into a full stealth installs right now. Can i add: back up battery, tilt, mic and ECU/Fuel kill to any alarm? What do i need to look for as far as extra outputs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by misha
Bringing this back from the dead. Im researching alarms right now and was wondering:

Regardless of install, just by looking at the alarm itself, what is the big differences between $600 unit and $200 unit.

Lets say this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Viper-5901-LC...d8cc8bf&_uhb=1

And this:

http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/pro...?ProductID=619

Because at the price point there is drastic difference, but would both alarms work equally well?

Im looking into a full stealth installs right now. Can i add: back up battery, tilt, mic and ECU/Fuel kill to any alarm? What do i need to look for as far as extra outputs.

Any help would be appreciated.

REFURBISHED. Kind of up to the buyer. My 2 cents, buy a new product instead of some rebuilt POS on ebay. If you don't want to spend $600 i'm sure there are quality alarms that are half that price.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My brand new 574 was $170 on Amazon. You can have your cake and eat it too.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see, but what would be the key differences between 200 and 600 dollar units? Brand new.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Jeez dude. Find the specs on each alarm system. Paste them into two columns in a Word doc and compare side by side. But you know Ebay lets you do that right?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not like the expensive alarms let your car fly or anything, they just have more complete feature sets, longer range, things like that. The lower-end models are going to be more picking-and-choosing from available features. Do you want 1 mi. range AND anti-carjacking? You'll have to pay more. Just go to the brand websites that were recommended to you and make an Excel list comparing features. Besides like I said you can get a $600 alarm for $200 if you know where to look. So the question is really not very important.

Amazon.com: Python 5704P 574 Responder LC3 SST 2-Way Security with Remote: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Python 5704P 574 Responder LC3 SST 2-Way Security with Remote: Car Electronics

Quick Reply: What car alarm to get??? Too many to choose