Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Audio / Security / Video (https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/)
-   -   Viper/DEI alarm... Really bad reception/remote range in the rain (https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/viper-dei-alarm-really-bad-reception-remote-range-rain-328776/)

GSRaCeRbOI 11-08-2002 03:08 PM

Viper/DEI alarm... Really bad reception/remote range in the rain

My friend has a Viper 300 ESP (I *think*) on his Accord EX sedan (I think its a 95)... we didn't install the alarm and I'm not sure where the brain is placed but I'm going to try and pull the panels this weekend (if it doesn't rain) and find the brain and see where the brain and alarm antenna is placed/positioned.... the remote says Viper and has 2 buttons (I and II) so I think its probably a 300ESP and not the higher models w/ the 4 button remotes and icons... anyways...

when the weather is normal/dry the range is OK.. but today we were going to lunch and he was trying to disarm his alarm.... he tried to disarm it from a distance (it was raining) so the doors would be unlocked when we got to the car.. no luck... he kept pressing the remote no luck... I asked him to put the remote up to his chin to use his body as an antenna sort of.. still didn't work... if your standing DIRECTLY behind the car at the trunk and your hand/remote is about where the center (where the H emblem is) the alarm arms and disarms fine.... he got up to the driver side window and tried disarming it and it took a while to respond wtf? isn't the driver door closer to the dash panel/steering column (where we suspect the brain/antenna to be) than the trunk?..

all the while we're standing in the rain http://rely.net/~htimages/smile/emhammer.gif ...after we got inside the car.. I asked him how old the battery was.... he said this happened yesterday (it was raining too) and so the battery is brand new (bought yesterday/put in yesterday)... I realize because of the rain the reception/range might be reduced.. but this is rediculous (not disarming while remote is at driver door right outside window).... you have any tips to get better reception?

I know your not supposed to place the antenna along the firewall/near metal..and the antenna should be pointing up/as high as possible....

where on a 95 Accord EX can we position the brain/antenna wire to get the BEST reception while still having the brain in a well hidden area?

I have a feeling the alarm is a basic install.. so we're probably going to rip it out and re-do the wiring.. so we can place/relocate it anywhere in the car... where can it be well hidden and still get good remote range/reception?

you can hit me up w/ an IM if you have a location thats good on 95 Accords..but don't want to post it in public and let everyone know where to hide the brain...

Thanks in advance for your replies..

EDIT: oh yeah his car doesn't have tinted glass at all... and it was bought used so we have no idea where/how the alarm is placed/wired...

[Modified by GSRaCeRbOI, 4:20 PM 11/8/2002]

SpdNvy 11-08-2002 06:01 PM

Re: Viper/DEI alarm... Really bad reception/remote range in the rain (GSRaCeRbOI)

first, have you tried to replace the batterie(s) in the remote(s)?

GSRaCeRbOI 11-08-2002 06:14 PM

Re: Viper/DEI alarm... Really bad reception/remote range in the rain (SpdNvy)

first, have you tried to replace the batterie(s) in the remote(s)?
yeah thats the first thing he tried... if you look above.. he replaced the battery yesterday..

I asked him how old the battery was.... he said this happened yesterday (it was raining too) and so the battery is brand new (bought yesterday/put in yesterday)...

RaceTilIDie 11-08-2002 06:46 PM

Re: Viper/DEI alarm... Really bad reception/remote range in the rain (GSRaCeRbOI)

DEI sells a range extender antenna, then you can put the antenna wherever and not worry about the brain. I think I even have one in my tool box. Also, you can fine tune the TX by opening teh remote and on the board you will see an adjustable pot(usually blue in center), stand a little further back than it usually works and turn this screw in and out with something PLASTIC that will turn it. Do not use metal as the metal will act as an antenna and give you false gains. I have sometimes gotten an extra 10-20 ft. by adjusting this.

hatchback 11-08-2002 10:54 PM

Re: Viper/DEI alarm... Really bad reception/remote range in the rain (RaceTilIDie)

sweet where did you get this extender?

RaceTilIDie 11-09-2002 02:18 PM

Re: Viper/DEI alarm... Really bad reception/remote range in the rain (hatchback)

When I worked at Circuit City we would special order from DEI.

audioroach 11-09-2002 10:23 PM

Re: Viper/DEI alarm... Really bad reception/remote range in the rain (RaceTilIDie)

that may not even be need...take regular black 18ga primary wire and solder it onto the alarm's antenna and extend it up along the a pillars and high as needed...in a sense you are extending the antenna...i used to do this for cusdtomers who had problems with reception....would get over the lenghth of a football field (longer doing the body antenna trick) and this was before the high frequency systems....what i betting is happening is that water is running down the siren wires and getting into the brain because its prob mounted lower than the wires entry point.

GSRaCeRbOI 11-10-2002 12:09 AM

Re: Viper/DEI alarm... Really bad reception/remote range in the rain (audioroach)

thanks for the suggestion.. I didn't have a chance to look at it because its been raining non stop since Thursday and he didn't feel like driving over to my house in the rain Lolz.. so maybe we'll try looking at his alarm setup next weekend...

so you just extend the antenna and run it up the A pillar? sounds pretty easy..

also if we relocate the brain.. whats a good place in his accord to hide it? you guys can PM me if you don't want to give out the location in public/in the forum..