Upgrading Car Stereo - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Upgrading Car Stereo

Old 02-18-2012, 11:11 AM
  #26  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 903
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

70w subs, lol.

Do they even make those anymore? This isn't the 80's where subs were 94+db efficient and worked well with minimal power.


As i told fcm and everyone else on this forum, 15 watts of dirty power from a head unit is a complete joke. Low budget screams install, amp, and speakers.

Headunit amplifier is an oxymoron. If you truly believe this is real power, I am thoroughly amused. Component parts are chosen regularly to meet a price point and pretend to be a spec. 19w is a joke and not in the amount of power but the joke is that they got you to believe it.

I will guarantee for the OP in this thread that he will listen to his stereo turned up (sole reason he is getting it as he wants more) which means that poor h/u "amplifier" will be creating tons of noise instead of doing what it is supposed to and that is amplify the signal off the pre-amp.

I suppose you will tell us next how headroom won't improve the sound and it is unnecessary as well as it would fit right into your argument.
edzy is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 AM
  #27  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western NYS
Posts: 1,137
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

Originally Posted by edzy View Post
70w subs, lol.

Do they even make those anymore? This isn't the 80's where subs were 94+db efficient and worked well with minimal power.


As i told fcm and everyone else on this forum, 15 watts of dirty power from a head unit is a complete joke. Low budget screams install, amp, and speakers.

Headunit amplifier is an oxymoron. If you truly believe this is real power, I am thoroughly amused. Component parts are chosen regularly to meet a price point and pretend to be a spec. 19w is a joke and not in the amount of power but the joke is that they got you to believe it.

I will guarantee for the OP in this thread that he will listen to his stereo turned up (sole reason he is getting it as he wants more) which means that poor h/u "amplifier" will be creating tons of noise instead of doing what it is supposed to and that is amplify the signal off the pre-amp.

I suppose you will tell us next how headroom won't improve the sound and it is unnecessary as well as it would fit right into your argument.
The "dirtyness" of the noise isn't as much of an issue in hondas, unless he plans on deadening and loading up with some MLV. The amount of road noise that gets through will negate the effects of a better low-budget amp anyway. I was fine with the ~18w from my headunit for a long time and to be honest, unless the car is off, the system sounds almost exactly the same with a budget sub 200$ 40wrms per channel amp (I can get it a tiny bit louder with a touch more clarity, but not much.

Note: I don't have "untrained" ears (my computer has a 24bit/192khz sound card, all of my music is mp3 320kbps or flac, I have studio quality headphones). I just think that hondas have very poor isolation and as a result, minor distortion caused by a strained HU onboard amp will mostly be ignored as road noise anyway.
joeshmo is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
  #28  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 903
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

That's the point, though.

Let's look at this objectively. That car is going to have a noise floor in the 85dB range. In order to have ANY acoustic separation you need to be 10dB > than the background noise. This puts us at 95dB which will be a level that is not "more" per his request, but either way we'll use it. A normal set of speakers is around 88dB efficient. To reach 95dB we will need to be putting >4w to the speakers to get them there. So at this "low" volume you really think that a h/u will sound just like an amplifier? Obviously not.


The amplifiers in h/u's are a complete joke, and this isn't at all about output but about quality. Dynamic capability, headroom, components that don't color the sound, and a decent power supply are all required for "SQ"

Plus, power is so damn cheap nowadays. Makes perfect sense to amp speakers.
edzy is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:28 AM
  #29  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western NYS
Posts: 1,137
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

Originally Posted by edzy View Post
That's the point, though.

Let's look at this objectively. That car is going to have a noise floor in the 85dB range. In order to have ANY acoustic separation you need to be 10dB > than the background noise. This puts us at 95dB which will be a level that is not "more" per his request, but either way we'll use it. A normal set of speakers is around 88dB efficient. To reach 95dB we will need to be putting >4w to the speakers to get them there. So at this "low" volume you really think that a h/u will sound just like an amplifier? Obviously not.


The amplifiers in h/u's are a complete joke, and this isn't at all about output but about quality. Dynamic capability, headroom, components that don't color the sound, and a decent power supply are all required for "SQ"

Plus, power is so damn cheap nowadays. Makes perfect sense to amp speakers.
Have you played with any cheap power? Every amp I've had that was under 150$ had a definite sound signature and very few are actually clean.

Also, I'm curious, are speakers rated at 91/93db efficient just bullshitting?
joeshmo is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 AM
  #30  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 903
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

Originally Posted by joeshmo View Post
Have you played with any cheap power? Every amp I've had that was under 150$ had a definite sound signature and very few are actually clean.
A couple.

Not too fond of hifonics amps. They do rated, but color the sound and the crossovers suck.

Best budget stuff i've used and still use are

Soundstream(stealth & rubicon)
PPI sedona's
Cadence
Kenwood xr's
Us Acoustics(My go to for all budget installs)


..and a couple others i cant seem to remember at the moment.

9 times outta 10, if u don't mind used, you can find plenty budget old school sq amps on ebay.
edzy is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
  #31  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western NYS
Posts: 1,137
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

Originally Posted by edzy View Post
A couple.

Not too fond of hifonics amps. They do rated, but color the sound and the crossovers suck.

Best budget stuff i've used and still use are

Soundstream(stealth & rubicon)
PPI sedona's
Cadence
Kenwood xr's
Us Acoustics(My go to for all budget installs)


..and a couple others i cant seem to remember at the moment.

9 times outta 10, if u don't mind used, you can find plenty budget old school sq amps on ebay.
Well hey, thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, most stop I get locally is sony/dual/alpine. I've never even heard of US acoustics. Will look in to

Actually, I saw a aura redline 100wx2ch amp on partsexpress for like 90$ that got rave reviews. Ever heard of them?
joeshmo is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 AM
  #32  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 903
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

Peep
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Acoustics...ht_1129wt_1396

Specs:

4 x 65 @ 4ohms at 12.9 volts
4 x80 @ 2ohms at 12.9 volts
2 x 160 @ 4ohms bridged at 12.9 volts.
THD less than 0.01%
Frequency Response: 10Hz-30kHZ, -0.5 dB
Input Sensitivity: 110 mV -8.8 Volt
S/N Ratio: 100 dB
Channel Separation: 80 dB
Damping Factor at 20 Hz: 90
Reverse Polarity, Thermal, Short Circuit, and DC protection.
Fuse Rating: 35A
Size: 11.0 x 9.6 x 2.5

All for <100
...makes so much sense to amp your speakers

Aura makes good amps. They had a couple others on partsexpress that were goood and sold like hotcakes.
edzy is offline  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 AM
  #33  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 165
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

Ended up getting

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395 with the package deal speakers Kenwood KFC-G1620

All for $120, speakers aren't that great but for the price they are somewhat of an improvement. Will most likely be looking to get some for the rear deck. Only problem with the head unit is that it is ipod ready but needs a special connector to go from the front usb to ipod, the regular ipod/iphone cable doesn't seem to work


Edit: The slim iphone cable that originally comes with the iphone, the connector that doesn't have the push tabs to remove, does not work
But the standard ipod cable does work fine with the usb on the headunit, problem solved[/COLOR] No longer have to listen to garbage radio stations

Last edited by mike:; 02-02-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Solution in Blue
mike: is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 PM
  #34  
Honda-Tech Member
 
93SiHatchguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 62
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

LOL that you updated your own thread after a year, but good to see that you got something finally. Are you planning on adding amps and a sub?
93SiHatchguy is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 AM
  #35  
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boulder
Posts: 250
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

Like someone else said, Cadence is a good budget stuff. I had a cadence amp that hit awesomely.

Anyway...Check pawn shops out. If they have a warrenty, its not a bad gig, if not, but new. I've picked up quite a few pieces of gear at very reasonable prices. I've also gotten wiring harness that were hacked to hell and back but still worked. but make sure you get a warranty if you go the pawn shop route.
dseriesboulder is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM
  #36  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 165
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

Originally Posted by 93SiHatchguy View Post
LOL that you updated your own thread after a year, but good to see that you got something finally. Are you planning on adding amps and a sub?
And you upped my post a month later? lol


I HATE UNANSWERED POSTS, rarely do you see the OP say, ya this is what I did or this fixed my problem blah blah blah.
mike: is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MPF_supra
For Sale
3
10-25-2006 06:52 PM
TooCoolToSpool
Audio / Security / Video
7
06-18-2005 09:32 PM
pezzy
Audio / Security / Video
1
08-27-2004 08:09 AM
Jesse H
Audio / Security / Video
0
02-27-2002 09:36 AM
Lewd Lude
Audio / Security / Video
4
06-16-2001 12:11 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading Car Stereo


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: