Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Upgrading Car Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading Car Stereo

70w subs, lol.

Do they even make those anymore? This isn't the 80's where subs were 94+db efficient and worked well with minimal power.

As i told fcm and everyone else on this forum, 15 watts of dirty power from a head unit is a complete joke. Low budget screams install, amp, and speakers.

Headunit amplifier is an oxymoron. If you truly believe this is real power, I am thoroughly amused. Component parts are chosen regularly to meet a price point and pretend to be a spec. 19w is a joke and not in the amount of power but the joke is that they got you to believe it.

I will guarantee for the OP in this thread that he will listen to his stereo turned up (sole reason he is getting it as he wants more) which means that poor h/u "amplifier" will be creating tons of noise instead of doing what it is supposed to and that is amplify the signal off the pre-amp.

I suppose you will tell us next how headroom won't improve the sound and it is unnecessary as well as it would fit right into your argument.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by edzy
70w subs, lol.

Do they even make those anymore? This isn't the 80's where subs were 94+db efficient and worked well with minimal power.

As i told fcm and everyone else on this forum, 15 watts of dirty power from a head unit is a complete joke. Low budget screams install, amp, and speakers.

Headunit amplifier is an oxymoron. If you truly believe this is real power, I am thoroughly amused. Component parts are chosen regularly to meet a price point and pretend to be a spec. 19w is a joke and not in the amount of power but the joke is that they got you to believe it.

I will guarantee for the OP in this thread that he will listen to his stereo turned up (sole reason he is getting it as he wants more) which means that poor h/u "amplifier" will be creating tons of noise instead of doing what it is supposed to and that is amplify the signal off the pre-amp.

I suppose you will tell us next how headroom won't improve the sound and it is unnecessary as well as it would fit right into your argument.
The "dirtyness" of the noise isn't as much of an issue in hondas, unless he plans on deadening and loading up with some MLV. The amount of road noise that gets through will negate the effects of a better low-budget amp anyway. I was fine with the ~18w from my headunit for a long time and to be honest, unless the car is off, the system sounds almost exactly the same with a budget sub 200$ 40wrms per channel amp (I can get it a tiny bit louder with a touch more clarity, but not much.

Note: I don't have "untrained" ears (my computer has a 24bit/192khz sound card, all of my music is mp3 320kbps or flac, I have studio quality headphones). I just think that hondas have very poor isolation and as a result, minor distortion caused by a strained HU onboard amp will mostly be ignored as road noise anyway.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the point, though.

Let's look at this objectively. That car is going to have a noise floor in the 85dB range. In order to have ANY acoustic separation you need to be 10dB > than the background noise. This puts us at 95dB which will be a level that is not "more" per his request, but either way we'll use it. A normal set of speakers is around 88dB efficient. To reach 95dB we will need to be putting >4w to the speakers to get them there. So at this "low" volume you really think that a h/u will sound just like an amplifier? Obviously not.

The amplifiers in h/u's are a complete joke, and this isn't at all about output but about quality. Dynamic capability, headroom, components that don't color the sound, and a decent power supply are all required for "SQ"

Plus, power is so damn cheap nowadays. Makes perfect sense to amp speakers.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the point, though.

Let's look at this objectively. That car is going to have a noise floor in the 85dB range. In order to have ANY acoustic separation you need to be 10dB > than the background noise. This puts us at 95dB which will be a level that is not "more" per his request, but either way we'll use it. A normal set of speakers is around 88dB efficient. To reach 95dB we will need to be putting >4w to the speakers to get them there. So at this "low" volume you really think that a h/u will sound just like an amplifier? Obviously not.

The amplifiers in h/u's are a complete joke, and this isn't at all about output but about quality. Dynamic capability, headroom, components that don't color the sound, and a decent power supply are all required for "SQ"

Plus, power is so damn cheap nowadays. Makes perfect sense to amp speakers.
Have you played with any cheap power? Every amp I've had that was under 150$ had a definite sound signature and very few are actually clean.

Also, I'm curious, are speakers rated at 91/93db efficient just bullshitting?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joeshmo
Have you played with any cheap power? Every amp I've had that was under 150$ had a definite sound signature and very few are actually clean.
A couple.

Not too fond of hifonics amps. They do rated, but color the sound and the crossovers suck.

Best budget stuff i've used and still use are

Soundstream(stealth & rubicon)
PPI sedona's
Cadence
Kenwood xr's
Us Acoustics(My go to for all budget installs)

..and a couple others i cant seem to remember at the moment.

9 times outta 10, if u don't mind used, you can find plenty budget old school sq amps on ebay.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A couple.

Not too fond of hifonics amps. They do rated, but color the sound and the crossovers suck.

Best budget stuff i've used and still use are

Soundstream(stealth & rubicon)
PPI sedona's
Cadence
Kenwood xr's
Us Acoustics(My go to for all budget installs)

..and a couple others i cant seem to remember at the moment.

9 times outta 10, if u don't mind used, you can find plenty budget old school sq amps on ebay.
Well hey, thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, most stop I get locally is sony/dual/alpine. I've never even heard of US acoustics. Will look in to

Actually, I saw a aura redline 100wx2ch amp on partsexpress for like 90$ that got rave reviews. Ever heard of them?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Peep
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Acoustics...ht_1129wt_1396

Specs:

4 x 65 @ 4ohms at 12.9 volts
4 x80 @ 2ohms at 12.9 volts
2 x 160 @ 4ohms bridged at 12.9 volts.
THD less than 0.01%
Frequency Response: 10Hz-30kHZ, -0.5 dB
Input Sensitivity: 110 mV -8.8 Volt
S/N Ratio: 100 dB
Channel Separation: 80 dB
Damping Factor at 20 Hz: 90
Reverse Polarity, Thermal, Short Circuit, and DC protection.
Fuse Rating: 35A
Size: 11.0 x 9.6 x 2.5

All for <100
...makes so much sense to amp your speakers

Aura makes good amps. They had a couple others on partsexpress that were goood and sold like hotcakes.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ended up getting

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395 with the package deal speakers Kenwood KFC-G1620

All for $120, speakers aren't that great but for the price they are somewhat of an improvement. Will most likely be looking to get some for the rear deck. Only problem with the head unit is that it is ipod ready but needs a special connector to go from the front usb to ipod, the regular ipod/iphone cable doesn't seem to work

Edit: The slim iphone cable that originally comes with the iphone, the connector that doesn't have the push tabs to remove, does not work
But the standard ipod cable does work fine with the usb on the headunit, problem solved[/COLOR] No longer have to listen to garbage radio stations

Last edited by mike:; 02-02-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Solution in Blue
Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL that you updated your own thread after a year, but good to see that you got something finally. Are you planning on adding amps and a sub?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like someone else said, Cadence is a good budget stuff. I had a cadence amp that hit awesomely.

Anyway...Check pawn shops out. If they have a warrenty, its not a bad gig, if not, but new. I've picked up quite a few pieces of gear at very reasonable prices. I've also gotten wiring harness that were hacked to hell and back but still worked. but make sure you get a warranty if you go the pawn shop route.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93SiHatchguy
LOL that you updated your own thread after a year, but good to see that you got something finally. Are you planning on adding amps and a sub?
And you upped my post a month later? lol

I HATE UNANSWERED POSTS, rarely do you see the OP say, ya this is what I did or this fixed my problem blah blah blah.