11.36%
shaved/disconnected door locks
0%
GPS locator(lojack etc)
6.82%
other type of securityDIY
4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

stolen cars, what type of security you had when it was jacked?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stolen cars, what type of security you had when it was jacked?

Originally Posted by tinctorus
Right....Judt to let you know I have been doing installs for a living of roever 13 yearsand I cant tell you WITHOUGT A DOUBT, what there IS A WAY AROUND IT

If tjeu know whate they are doing then getting it will be a "walk in the park" tp them in all hoesnty...I can sle tel you that en xperience car thief WILL get around the alamr in UNER 3 minutes
Let's all be glad that alarm installs don't require you to be able to spell.

To contribute to the topic. I had an eg hatch stolen from about 15ft away from my bedroom window. I had just moved to Orlando,Fl 10 days prior and lived in a gated development that required a code to get in the gate. Went out for the night and came home. Was lying in bed about asleep and heard it start up and I looked out the window to see it driving away. Called the cops and made a report. It was found about 2hrs later sitting in a driveway running with both doors open. They drove it to another house to jack another car and luckily that person was awake and heard them outside. Opened the door and they ran off. Stole f/r lips,shift ****,stereo,500+cds,speakers,oakley sunglasses,cigarettes and car wash tokens lol
Old 11-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sc34dc4
Let's all be glad that alarm installs don't require you to be able to spell.
Second that!

Originally Posted by tinctorus
Right....Judt to let you know I have been doing installs for a living of roever 13 yearsand I cant tell you WITHOUGT A DOUBT, what there IS A WAY AROUND IT

If tjeu know whate they are doing then getting it will be a "walk in the park" tp them in all hoesnty...I can sle tel you that en xperience car thief WILL get around the alamr in UNER 3 minutes
Maybe if you installs were not like you type, you could do a systems that really worked.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, that is some fd up spelling. i thought i was bad...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car wasn't stolen but they were in the process.

97 ek cx no alarm or anything. lowered on xxr rims.

first day my mom went to work in like 5 months and she ended up coming home an hour early and noticed a guy on a cellphone next to my car and another guy in the stairwell in my apt complex on a cellphone. came home then went back outside with my dad and dog and then the two mexicans took off. plastic covering my steering column is ****ed up and they broke my windshield wiper plug and jacked up the ignition position. they also left a screwdriver on the floor lol

i didn't have full insurance on it at the time but I do now so I actually just want someone to steal it so I can buy a van or something I don't have to worry about anymore. It sucks cause I love my car but I'd rather get rid of it and buy some ugly car
Old 11-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by unknown force
i didn't have full insurance on it at the time but I do now so I actually just want someone to steal it so I can buy a van or something I don't have to worry about anymore. It sucks cause I love my car but I'd rather get rid of it and buy some ugly car
Uhhh how about just selling it and then buying what you want?!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If someone wants your ugly *** van that will go bye bye too. There arent to many cars on the road that are safe, and honda's for sure arent even close to being one.

Seeing this stuff makes me so glad i have a garage and a dad that understands it MY garage lol
Old 11-20-2010, 05:07 AM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Car was stolen from my driveway.

No security at all. No broken glass, etc.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: "Try stealing my car I drive a bait car" Long Beach CA

voted, early 2002 had a 90 crx si stolen in front of my house at 3am it only had a steering wheel lock for security.., car was found in compton they only took wires, intake, battery and shift ****
Old 12-24-2011, 05:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

keep this going. more people vote better and more accurate the chart will be.
maybe it will serve as a motivation to beef up the security for some people.

especially now that times are tough and **** gets stolen from your front porch( gifts and packages)
Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bump. keep voting in the pool
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by confidence
Nah, if you saw the write up its pretty bad in what it tells you but then its common knowledge really. The mods believe some idiot will use it as a "how to" and steal a car with it. I disagree but I do see their point and will abide by the ruling. I am still adding to it and refining it and will put it up online somewhere eventually.
I agree with you. I think if people posted more of this info it would aid in preventing theft. Most security features that are bypassed come down to poor install or poor design.

I'll give an example: The hood locks for Integra's. Ya they keep your hood locked but unfortunately they are super easy to bypass. The front clip is made of plastic and a theif will just cut a hole and unlock your hood.

What seems like a clever product to keep you hood locked turns into something that is almost worthless. About as effective as a club at preventing car theft.

A good part of security is in the install. But unless you know how people disable them then you wont know how to help prevent them from being disabled. Nothing will beat a tow truck and even GPS is easily defeated. GPS needs a clear view of the sky put it inside just about any enclosed truck and GPS is non functional. Paging alarms are also easy to defeate also but I wont say how.

You can however make it more difficult to steel and that's the idea behind most security.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
I agree with you. I think if people posted more of this info it would aid in preventing theft. Most security features that are bypassed come down to poor install or poor design.

I'll give an example: The hood locks for Integra's. Ya they keep your hood locked but unfortunately they are super easy to bypass. The front clip is made of plastic and a theif will just cut a hole and unlock your hood.

What seems like a clever product to keep you hood locked turns into something that is almost worthless. About as effective as a club at preventing car theft.

A good part of security is in the install. But unless you know how people disable them then you wont know how to help prevent them from being disabled. Nothing will beat a tow truck and even GPS is easily defeated. GPS needs a clear view of the sky put it inside just about any enclosed truck and GPS is non functional. Paging alarms are also easy to defeate also but I wont say how.

You can however make it more difficult to steel and that's the idea behind most security.
I agree. It's about layers, which most people never consider only after their vehicle is stolen. Preventing vehicle theft is the responsibility of the owner. Steering Wheel Lock, Alpha Locks, Denver Wheel Boot, Car Cover, Multiple Sirens, etc. Whatever is in your budget for security is better than just 1 layer of security. Don't be embarrassed to put a "wheel boot" on all 4 wheels if you can't afford an alarm. Otherwise, selling the vehicle might be the better option if securing your high theft vehicle is just too much work.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bankonyourself
Don't be embarrassed to put a "wheel boot" on all 4 wheels if you can't afford an alarm. Otherwise, selling the vehicle might be the better option if securing your high theft vehicle is just too much work.
I don't think I would ever go that far. If I had to do that I would just walk. Seriously that's nuts.

How I have always approached it don't invest more into the car then what it's worth. Anything beyond that be prepared to lose. That may sound crazy to some but the stock equipment in most cars has a value equal to the aftermarket parts. So you can replace those items under insurance if you had to.

I understand the desire to upgrade your cars I have done it myself. But some people will put $30k into a $5k car and to me is just nuts. I'd rather buy a nicer car. I completely agree with layering security as far as alarms go. The more layers you can afford to install the better. But if I had to stick clubs and wheel boots on my car everytime I drove it I would either find another car to drive or leave that car at home.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

had a few attempts on my daily driven car stock motor but the car was clean no drop no suspension just fresh paint and new head/tailights Viper alarm with air horns in the bay & a backup of train horns inside the car stopped them that time....

Want to stop a car thief? 4 wheel boots that cover the rim lugs completely, (ALPHA LOCKS DO NOTHING) and the thickest chains you can find at home depot....wrap them in rubber to avoid freon spray, and also not to damage the rim face,tie them around the rims to each other inside the wheel boots so the car cant be dragged/rolled wihout making noise, setup air horns inside the engine bay, and a backup battery train horn setup inside the car, GPS real time tracking with extended battery life........

NOTHING IS MORE EFFECTIVE AT STOPPING CAR THEFT THAN IMMOBILIZING THE CAR FROM MOVING. PERIOD.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

luckily i have never had my civic stolen but my buddy got his civic stolen (98 ek coupe) from out side his house all he had was a steering wheel bar and thats it

he got it back a week later it was found a few miles from his ouse in a alley, lost his radio intake and the interior was messed up.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well to add. I had a customer whose Itr was towed right out of his driveway and the theif got caught putting in on a trailer in a gas station and ripping out the back pannels. A week after installling a gps tracking system in the car. Got his car back in 20 mins and the people arrested.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

it seems like fuel cutoff switch is not as effective as many people think it is. cuz thiefs know about it too lol.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a 93 civic with no muffler and no alarm. Foot Club was broken and the first or second day outside my house it was stolen. Oh well ended up finding the car and my wheels on another car. The kid who stole it all put the wheels on his "grandpa's" car and Seattle PD didn't do ****.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DB8 RHD
I think regardless of any security you have in place unless its in a locked building there is still a chance of someone getting it.
Agreed. Watched my gen 2 Integra get stolen out of a locked parking structure in Chicago a few years ago. I had a Viper Alarm/Remote Start with two way pager set up. They guy jacked the alarm with $20 worth of parts (using magnets or something, don't quite remember how he did it) from a hardware store. Lesson learned, I keep the primo insurance on my car now.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
Nothing will beat a tow truck
http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore...rt-tv3731-p=20

* Have to be fast on the scene though
Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These threads are very informative but it gets really annoying hearing people say "ooh nothing works if they want it theyll get it."

No, not true. The more layers you have the more the thief will get turned off and go to the next ricer with no security. Thiefs dont have time, they have to be in n out. As for the tow trucks, the majority of thiefs dont have access to tow trucks.

My car didnt get stolen but it was attempted. They broke into it at work by prying out my window, then they opened the hood to cut off the siren but I had it neatly tucked under the fender . Once they couldnt turn it off they tried to take the double DIN radio but couldnt so they left the car as is. Only damage? I had to replace my climate control.

SECURITY WORKS!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bump. vote for pedro

be specific and stick to the topic please.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is old. Let it rip and start a new one.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

orale installing a alarm soon
Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

the poll is what needs to keep going so people see what works and what doesnt.