Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

STOCK CAR ALARM BYPASS FOR 98 CIVIC? $800 REPLACEMENT? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOCK CAR ALARM BYPASS FOR 98 CIVIC? $800 REPLACEMENT? HELP!!

So heres the story. My girl uses her honda alarm keychain and oens her door. SHe gets in and her doors locked without her locking it. When she opens the door the alarm goes off! She presses the disarm button and nothing happens. she presses the lock buttons and nothing happens. I put the key in there to try to start it and it wont work. Theres a kill switch in there so we can't start the engine.

So we tow it to Honda and they tell us later on the day that the stock radio (which is hidden in the center console cuz we have an after market head unit) has gone bad and needs to be replaced. They quoted us $800 for the replacement! Now I just want to know if there is a way to cut the wires from the stock alarm just so we can drive the car home and get a new alarm on our own.

O and the reason the stock radio is hidden in the center console is because our installer told us we need to have that inside still because of the stock alarm. PLEASE HELP US!
Old 12-14-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: STOCK CAR ALARM BYPASS FOR 98 CIVIC? $800 REPLACEMENT? HELP!! (kvn31)

get rid if the shitty stock alarm and get a new one for half the price. Dont go OEM when dealing with audio or security.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: STOCK CAR ALARM BYPASS FOR 98 CIVIC? $800 REPLACEMENT? HELP!! (TurboLaxx)

lol i was under the impression that most dealers have local shops do their stereo installs anyways.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:45 PM

Ok so i found out from my girl that the dealership said that the stock radio is dead, is there a way for me to get the car running without that stuff? the alarm is the not letting the car start. how can i disconnect it in order for the car to work? I dont want honda to charge me just to disarm the alarm. thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: (kvn31)

The car should still start if the radio is dead. I don't think that there is a starter disable on the factory alarm. By removing the stock radio, it only disables the keyless entry function. You might have another problem. You should try to check the starter and ignition wires in the main harness under the dash. This harness should lead from the key cylinder to the fuse box. Starter wire is black/white and the Ignition wire is black/yellow. Using a test light, make sure that there is 12 volts going to these wires when you turn the key over.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:50 AM

Also any factory alarm should disarm with the key in the drivers door. If the alarm is going off all you ahould have to do is stick the key in the drivers key cylinder and turn to unlock. That should disarm the factory alarm. And as previously stated the factory alarm shouldnt have a starter interupt.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, sounds like they're taking your girl for a ride... It seems as though someone installed a starter kill on the factory alarm

Have them pull your car out in the parking lot, and thank them for their help, but politely decline their "fix-all solution of replacing the factory radio".

Then, either tow it home, or have someone you know (or you can do it, it's not hard) reconnect the starter wire that's cut (when they installed the starter kill relay). Put your key in and drive her home (your girl, too, if you want ).
Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: STOCK CAR ALARM BYPASS FOR 98 CIVIC? $800 REPLACEMENT? HELP!! (kvn31)

you may have a dealer installed( factory) alarm.read that a dealer installed aftermarket alarm.yank that pos radio/keyless out and find a shop thatll put a decent aftermarket alarm in (99.00-^).on the drivers side dash,near where the sunroof switch is(left of steering column,lil row of switches)take that phillips screw out and the one on bottom left of that trim panel and then bottom right,and snap that panel out you may have to disconnect some of the switches,look at the factory wire harness from key cylinder probably two bigger bundles,one has starter wire in it(i think it is a large 10 or 12 awg wire black with white stripe),see if it has been spliced,there should be a glossy block wire cover on it ,if it has not been cut ,then you may have to dig a little further,did you notice if she had one of those chip keys that sticks out just below the dash,if that fell out that could be the problem as well,no i am not talking about a transponder in the car key.is the car a five speed?did you check the clutch kill switch.when was the last time you changed the battery in the car?does it act like it has no power at all or it just wont start but the dash lights come on and so forth?i am sorry for rambling but i hate to see dishonest service departments.there are enough really smart experienced people here on honda tech you could figure the problem out yourself.just ask.