Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Speaker recommendation for my 1990 crx si

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker recommendation for my 1990 crx si

I recently installed a JVC kd-r900 in my crx. I need to replace all four of my speakers and need advice on what to get.

I've been looking at the infinity kappa:

Infinity Kappa 62.9is

I haven't heard much about these speakers, heard more about reference. I've also heard good things about Polk db series and Alpine type s for our cars. I'd really like other recommendations.

My main concern is that the the speakers will fit with little to no modification to the front door and that the window will not hit the speaker magnet.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speaker recommendation for my 1990 crx si

you'll probably get better results in the car audio area but i've got components in both my hatch's, love it. you'll want an external amp for any high powered speakers you use tho. infinity is good stuff tho.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got some 150watt kenwood 2ways up front..they were in the car when i got it and i love them sound great and i didnt have to pay for them haha, also got a kenwood deck that i bought used that sounds great, didnt need nothing fancy lol , but ive heard alot of great things about polk audio speakers if your going for something high end..but you will want a amp for them..
Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 PM

As a general rule I stick to Infinity or Polk. Both are of excellent quality.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my BMW you need to get expensive premade kits from BSW because of the wiring scheme of the oe units. But I suspect in the EF Honda you could just upgrade your speakers? Upgrade your amp and stuff too I bet? How much on average should I expect to pay for a decent system? Maybe a sub to? Btw, I have never had aftermarket audio components so decent for me, is probably shitty to you!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
you'll probably get better results in the car audio area but i've got components in both my hatch's, love it. you'll want an external amp for any high powered speakers you use tho. infinity is good stuff tho.
Where do you mount the tweeter in the front of an ef civic? I really don't want an amp or sub in the back of my crx, I'm paranoid enough about my new deck getting stolen.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:30 AM

Well you can either mount them on the dashboard or in an aftermarket kickpanel. In the dashboard is the cleanest esp if you can drill a hole to recess them a little but that may be more then you want to do. The other option is a kickpanel from Q-logic or other companies. I believe the q-logic ones have a spot for a tweeter but dont quote me
Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well for starters, I purchased a pair of polk db651's. Reading more on the kappa's, many said the bass was lacking and I read some people had problems installing them. From what I've read the polk's sound great.

I only purchased one pair in case the magnet hit the window or I have other problems installing. If I have any problems, I'll put the first pair in the rear and maybe get the shallower version for the front or possibly the db6501 components for the front.

Is there plenty of room to mount the crossover in the door if I go with components? And will the sound be noticeably better even with being powered by the deck? I want to avoid any headaches if possible, but for increased sound quality it may be worth it.

Where can I find pics of ef civics with tweeters?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are worried about fitment mb quartz have reverse mounting magnets on their components, but as far as fitment goes i actually have mounted a pair of infinity kaapa's, phoenix gold rsd woofers and alpine type s woofers in the factory basket (which was heavily modified to fit the larger speaker) and had zero clearance issues. all of which were 6 and 3/4, not 6 and 1/2 like tiny speakers. i mount the tweeter on the plastic cover over the door mirrors, as i have power mirrors so i can save my door panels (made that mistake once). sounds good. i agree the infinty's lack in low end bass but alpines are nice. i am told polks are amazing. i have used some of their low end speakers and wasn't too impressed, but their high end stuff is nice.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by kirbyno1
As a general rule I stick to Infinity or Polk. Both are of excellent quality.
x2
Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I went ahead and purchased the db6501's for the front. I was advised not to use them as I don't have an amp, not sure when I will get an amp. The setup sounds really good, I just have to fade the speakers forward since the components are not as efficient as the coaxials.

Now I'd like to know an inconspicuous place to mount a 4 channel amp in the crx. I really don't want my car to get broken into. I don't have the cargo divider thing in the car either, hatch is completely open to the rest of the car.