Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Repairing / Re-Foaming JL 12w0's

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repairing / Re-Foaming JL 12w0's

I have a pair of 12w0's that I bought in 1998 that are finally in need of some TLC.

The surround on one has deteriorated substantially, and has separated from the basket in a couple of places, with the biggest "hole" being about 4 inches long. This is causing some rubbing of the coil, but if I put some pressure on the cone in the direction of the hole in the foam, the rubbing ceases. The other has some rips in the surround, but only a faint rub can be heard..

I'm fairly confident that I can refoam these speakers using a kit like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT.

My question is if I can make the rubbing stop by "re-centering" the cone with my hand, in theory, a refoam should resolve the problem permanently, correct?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Repairing / Re-Foaming JL 12w0's

correct
Old 07-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C_EJ8
I have a pair of 12w0's that I bought in 1998 that are finally in need of some TLC.

The surround on one has deteriorated substantially, and has separated from the basket in a couple of places, with the biggest "hole" being about 4 inches long. This is causing some rubbing of the coil, but if I put some pressure on the cone in the direction of the hole in the foam, the rubbing ceases. The other has some rips in the surround, but only a faint rub can be heard..

I'm fairly confident that I can refoam these speakers using a kit like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT.

My question is if I can make the rubbing stop by "re-centering" the cone with my hand, in theory, a refoam should resolve the problem permanently, correct?

Refoam will center the coil but just remeber that the actual alignment will depend on how capable you are at centering it EXACTLY! the clearence is very small. Assuming you dont spend much on the foam and you dont care if you screw them upI would say go for it.

I do see they do make this statement
It can be very difficult to refoam a speaker without removing the dust cap and inserting the plastic shims. The plastic shims are used to center the voice coil and cone assembly while the speaker is being refoamed. If you do not use the plastic shims, the voice coil may be off center and it may lead to the voice coil rubbing.

Sounds as though they have you covered with te shims. Just don't try to do it without the shims. I tear apart a cheap shaving razor the blades are very thin and flexible. They work perfect for cutting the dust covers off.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The part about the shims is why I ordered from them. Plus, it looks like they use something a bit more substantial than the elmers glue looking adhesive shipped with other kits that were cheaper. Kit should be here tomorrow.

We shall see how it turns out. I can't exactly make the one much worse... I'll do that one first and see how it goes.

Oh, and good tip about the shaver blades... I was going to try to buy the smallest & skinniest x-acto blades I could find, but that sounds like a better option, for probably under a buck.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey can't complain, jl makes a good product. Since it is such a common sided foam surround, you maybe able to find it at partsexpress.com i know they have the "double wave" red surround for the old vega's pretty cheap.